Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Vicente Carrillo guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

DavidT

Vicente Carrillo guitars 

Hi everyone,

Do you have any experience [playing or own] on a Vicente Carrillo guitar? Looks like the negra would cost $4500 and the blanca about $3500.

Please give me your feedback. I really appreciate it.

David
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 14:15:53

Doitsujin

RE: Vicente Carrillo guitars (in reply to DavidT

hmm.. hard question. I can tell you something coz I have one. But not a normal Vicente Carillo.
He became more famous coz Paco let the Pdl guitars build in his name. When he got more jobs he started like the conde brothers to let many guitars build by other people. Thats bad, coz you cant be shure who build it. He builds heavy guitars with a serious tone. I only know the negras. They are very good for studiorecording coz they are very clear and good to handle. Mine is a pdl negra and was chosen by Ramon de Algecrias. And Paco played it.Cool what? Later Rafael Cortes recorded a CD with my guitar. So Im shure I have a good one. If you wanna buy one watch up. Not all are good. But there are some really good, as with the other labels. If you have more precise questions just ask me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 14:27:14

Miguel de Maria

I owned a blanca I bought perhaps 3 years ago, for $2000. For $2k it was a solid, though unspectacular guitar. Decent in most respects, except craftsmanship and detail, where I believe it excelled. The sound was clear, although less "flamenco-ey" then I would like. I brought it to Sevilla and everyone who played it liked it. A fellow with a Conde said he didn't want to put it down, he liked it better.

That being said, the Carilloes did suffer from one strong flaw--the neck was too wide. From what I understand, he makes the neck so that with a capo at the 2nd fret or so, the feeling is like an open. In other words, the neck is wider than normal. This caused me a lot of problems and my wrist was always hurting from stretches. Especially since I play a lot of capo-less music.

I'm no guitar conneisseur, but the Carillo did in no way stack up to my currrent axe, a Tezanos-Perez.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 14:48:07

[Deleted] (in reply to DavidT

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 19:32:38

Patrick

quote:

Hey Miguel did you buy it at Postigos shop?
I heard he has some amazing guitars in that place (but very expensive).

You mean the Tezanos? Nah, he got that from some shyster in Oregon.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 20:16:09

TANúñez

RE: Vicente Carrillo guitars (in reply to Patrick

Yes, this shyster has also taken guitars out from under my nose. Watch out! If there is a used DeVoe out there and your thinking of getting it, don't think too long or he will take it before you do. You snooze you lose. Ain't that right Pat?

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 21:10:27

Patrick

quote:

Ain't that right Pat?

Are you mad at me man? You didn't respond to my email yesterday?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 21:29:38

hassurbanipal

I also just bought a guitar from him personally in Cassasimarro. A really nice man and a great guitar it is. it is a blanca and a very beautiful one. She is only just been build so the tone is not already what it's meant to be, you have to give her some time but already she is great sounding and easy to play. It hasn't been a real trouble to play since I read here the arm was langer, I have never noticed that.
All I can say is that it's a really good guitar and I enjoy every minute of playing on it.
If you have any question just ask me....

greetings
Andy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 22:01:28

Ron.M

I don't care whose name is on the label.
If you really think an exeptional Flamenco guitar will make you sound brilliant...
Then, I'm very sorry to say, forget it!!
Only knowledge and technique will...
This is an ongoing delusion, that great guitars will make you play better!
They don't.
Really!!
I've tried guitars passed to me by a lot of great players and although I have enjoyed the novelty of it.
I didn't sound any different than the usual old hacking Ron....
But when they took it back again they did!

(Doit can probably explain this much better, in Scientific terms... )

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 22:23:43

Patrick

quote:

If you really think an exceptional Flamenco guitar will make you sound brilliant

No, but it's fun to try and what the hell if you can afford it, why not. They way I look at it is I have two (well many) hobbies. One is playing guitar and the other is buying, selling and collecting. They are two different animals altogether.

A lot of guys have been put down on various forums for years when it comes to buying and selling top-level guitars. What people don't seem to realize, is we do it for the enjoyment of the aspect of the guitar itself, not necessarily the playing, although I like that as well, but don't mix the two. They are two distinct hobbies.

Now, will owning a world-class guitar make you a world-class player? If you have heard me play of late, that would answer your question.

Eddie Lastra that used to post here a bit once told me he got tired of the battles. He said if he brought it up that he got a new guitar, someone was always on his back about it. I'm getting to be the same way any more. If I get a new one I just keep it to myself, or the few addicts that enjoy that part of the hobby.

Does Jay Leno need millions of dollars worth of collector cars? Will he be a better driver because he owns them? Is he taking anything away from someone else? I say no to all those questions, but I don’t put him down for his right to enjoy his hobby as he sees fit, and he most certainly can afford it.

I’m going to go play my new DeVoe now, or maybe I’ll play my old DeVoe, or maybe my Green! I know it’s tough, but someone has to do it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 22:51:43

DavidT

Same token as Pat said, some poeple would spend 50k on a diamond. Diamond is actually just a piece of hard stone [and used for cutting]

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 22:58:59

TANúñez

quote:

Are you mad at me man? You didn't respond to my email yesterday?

Don't be silly. You told me to stay tuned to see what you decide so I'm just waiting for ya.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 23:21:54

TANúñez

RE: Vicente Carrillo guitars (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

If you really think an exeptional Flamenco guitar will make you sound brilliant...
Then, I'm very sorry to say, forget it!!

What are you talking about Ron? I got a Conde a while back and I swear I was playing just as good, just as clean and just as fast as Paco de Lucia!..........................................then I woke up the next morning and realized it was going to take a little more pracitce

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 23:27:35

TANúñez

quote:

Eddie Lastra that used to post here a bit once told me he got tired of the battles. He said if he brought it up that he got a new guitar, someone was always on his back about it. I'm getting to be the same way any more. If I get a new one I just keep it to myself, or the few addicts that enjoy that part of the hobby.

That is why I build my own guitars now. I can easily say they rival Reyes, Barbero, DeVoe, Green and Anders! the best part........no one will know for sure because they can't find one anywhere

Of course they do not, at least not at this point in my building but I can give myself a guitar that has exactly what I want and I won't get upset with myself if I want to return it

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 23:30:40

DavidT

RE: Vicente Carrillo guitars (in reply to TANúñez

If every thing else being equal, a better guitar will sound better.

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 23:32:45

Patrick

quote:

I won't get upset with myself if I want to return it

Now that's funny! So do you give yourself something like a 30 day free trial on your own guitars, before you can return them to yourself?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 23:35:41

TANúñez

No, just the 48 hour like everyone else. I remember I built this one guitar that I thought was very good. When I played it, it was good but not exactly what I was shooting for. Since what I built was what I asked for, I did not refund my money so I had to keep it.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2006 23:41:43

Ron.M

Pat,
I know what you are saying.
I know you enjoy collecting and trading top end guitars for their beauty and sound, as do folk like Jim Opfer and others.
I certainly wasn't putting you guys down for enjoying your passion for guitars.

However, from time to time I'll read a post on one of the forums from a student who is feeling miserable because they can't afford a really good guitar.
So my post was just a reminder to anyone out there in that position that they won't suddenly hear a dramatic improvement in their playing should they acquire one.
However it's inspiring and fun to get a new, good guitar and explore it's possibilities and it really boosts your enthusiasm for practising.

My advice to any student is to go for the best guitar they can afford.
If you look after it, it will maintain it's value and will give you lots of pleasure.

But never pine after the "dream guitar", that you will pick up and suddenly find that you sound like Tomatito etc.
I think we've all fantasized about that at one time or another!!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2006 10:15:04

TANúñez

RE: Vicente Carrillo guitars (in reply to Ron.M

Ron,

I think a better guitar can help you. Not in making you sound like someone else but helping you with something like technique.

This is really geared for the beginner. Say you have a cheap $300 guitar. It's fine to learn on but many of these guitars have horrible setups with very high actions making certain tenchiques impossible or very difficult to execute. If you have a guitar that fights you, you will get discouraged, won't want to really practice and maybe lose interest.

Then you get say a better guitar, maybe $1000 or up, with great action and setup. Now you can do things that you couldn't do before on the cheap guitar. You motivation spikes, you gain interested and dive into studying again. Realizing that it wasn't that you were just bad at playing but that you had a bad guitar that was hindering you.

Thoughts?

As far as buying a Conde negra because you want to sound or play like Paco, yes, that's rediculous.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2006 18:15:18

Patrick

quote:

As far as buying a Conde negra because you want to sound or play like Paco, yes, that's rediculous.

But I am positive if I can just find the perfect Conde negra, I can sound like Tomatito!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2006 18:57:53

Ron.M

RE: Vicente Carrillo guitars (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, but that's just common sense Tom.
A cheap guitar is worthless.
It's not even at the level of being an instrument, just something that looks like one.

If one can afford a top end guitar to begin with, then I'd say buy it.

But a reasonable guitar (say $800- $1000), even if it is partially made with modern machinery and has been given a reasonable set-up before leaving the factory would suit most beginners for many years IMO.

If you are into guitars like Pat and Jim, then that's a different story.
They are instrument aficionados as well as players.

I read an interview somewhere where Paco de Lucia said that he'd stuck with the same instrument for years and years just because he was too lazy to change it.

A mediocre does not equal a great guitar, but only very advanced players know how to drive a great guitar.
The rest of us can maybe play a great guitar with a mediocre technique, but it still sounds mediocre with a slightly better sound IMO.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2006 20:12:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll