Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Nail Wear and Tear   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Conrad

Nail Wear and Tear 

Hi,

What is everyone's experience with nail wear. I use Sally Hansen "Diamond Strength" nail hardener and I am now trying Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails", but I still see some damage done to my nails just from playing. My nails tend to curve down and toward the left (if you are a righthanded player). I have heard that the nails are supposed to be filed this way anyway, but at how violent a curve? And at what initial angle? I ask this because I feel that after a while my nails look and feel strange. I could easily file them to a smoother or straighter curve, but I don't think nails grow quickly enough to do this often. I have not had the chance to ask my teacher this question, yet everyone's hands are different, and I wish to read the knowledge of you great players as well.

Also, this may be critical before you think about these questions: Do you hold your fingers (in picado) parallel to the strings, or do you tilt them in toward the strings, thus using more of the aforementioned left part of the nail? Maybe I would achieve a more even wear of the nail if I were to correct my playing habits, or is what I now do a matter of personal preference?

As you'll guess, I believe in the power of a good nail! Thanks from a beginner

keep it cool,

conrad
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2003 5:26:09

Jon Boyes

RE: Nail Wear and Tear (in reply to Conrad

I don't use a nail hardener, I could't get on with the stuff. I found that if/when a nail broke and I had used hardener, the nail would break much more severly and tear chunks out. Also, I found that in some ways they were actually more likely to break (not thru playing guitar, but snagging on things) as the nail was more stiff ie it would not bend when it got caught.

For a long time now I've been using a nail/hand moisturiser and its great for nourishing the nails. If I catch a nail in something, it just bends and I hardly ever break a nail - maybe once a year.

Ironically, this week was the first time I've ever broken a nail at a gig, index finger too. Luckily it was at the end of the gig.

How you file your nails and your question about picado are related - your playing style will really determine how you should file your nails and that's really an individual thing. There are many subtle variations and there is no one correct way. Some people will file their nails following the contour of the finger tip, for example. Some file a straight square edge along the top. Me, I use a steep ramp (except on P) which is very popular amongst classical guitarists.

You have to experiment with this and fine tune over a period of time as your style develops. Ask your teacher to point you in the right direction.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2003 13:51:14

Miguel de Maria

c,
This is going to be like one of those editorial pages where on one side is one opinion, and the other is the opposite view. I have been using acrylic nails of one kind of another for about 3 years now. They work very well.

I started off playing classical, and never considering other options, felt that I was very unfortunate. My i nail was rather thin and somewhat hooked. I didn't like the shape or the thin sound that I got from it. Luckily when I started playing flamenco I was turned on to acrylics. Initially I made my own nails from pieces of fabric and superglue, but now I go to the nail studio.

With these nails you get something that is virtually indestructible. It will not break on any impact that won't break your finger. Normal guitar techniques will not wear them at all, except rasgeuo which will very slowly wear it. Acrylic nails are normally applied very thick, so it will be different than your normal nail. However, this thickness is something that you can sculpt and shape to your designs; for example, the way I file my i nail, it is not hooked when I use the acrylics, although it would be naturally.

I found that once I got used to the acrylics I had a lot more power and accuracy at my disposal. It is kind of like if you use a thin, flexible pick versus a thicker, jazz-style pick.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2003 15:00:54

TANúñez

Hey Jon what's the name of the product that you use? I here you don't want to use something that doesn't allow the nail to be flexible or else it'll be easier to break.

The stuff you use sounds pretty good.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2003 17:36:45

Phil

One of these days I'm going to try one of these acrylic nail products. I use plain old superglue on my i, m, a, built up with very thin coats and superglue and tissue paper on my thumbnail. It's very low maintainence. I have thin nails that hook and, as they grow out, having the superglue on forces them to straighten out (I'm sure acrylic would do the same thing). I don't put anything on my little finger nail because I'm don't consciously use it and the nail seems strong enough for when I do unconsciously use it. Actually, if you heard me play you'd think I was unconsious all the time, but that's another matter.

Phil
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2003 20:19:37

Jon Boyes

RE: Nail Wear and Tear (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Zurdo

Hey Jon what's the name of the product that you use?

2 in 1 hand & nail lotion, by Superdrug, which is a big chemist chain over here.

There is also a similar product by Vaseline - you can get it from any chemist (drugstore).

Juan Martin goes for the moisturiser approach too - in an interview he says he uses olive oil, but I found that too messy. The hand/nail lotions get absorbed in, if you see what i mean.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2003 8:11:47
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote