Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

my demo   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

my demo 

Guys, I am in the process of putting together a demo/album, something to give to prospective clients and to sell to the general public. I want somethng that is rather commercial and easy on the ears, even for those not familiar with flamenco. On the other hand, I would like to sneak as much flamenco in there as possible. I would like some advice on this. The idea is I want a CD that the average music lover would like... Something you would give out as gifts without fear of people saying "he sounds like he's dying!" Any opinions are more than welcome.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2003 15:49:42

Florian

RE: my demo (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Miguel what exactly is the question ?

Are you asking whos music should you record ? or have you composed your own stuff ?
they wont say "he sounds like hes dying" unless you got a singer, do you ?

give me a bit more details on what your plan and your goal, hopefully i can be a litlle bit more helpfull
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2003 16:11:10

Thomas Whiteley

I am with Florian. We need a few more details to be of any "real help".

What type of music and what is the source? If you want to make a living at this be sure to play what the audience wants. Flamenco is not for everyone.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2003 17:19:47

Miguel de Maria

Okay, I guess for this one let's say all instrumental. I plan to compose most of the music, perhaps all... Now I'll probably have a couple of "mark antoine" or "ottmar liebert" type songs on there, things with a rumba background and a fairly tame guitar line. But I also think I'd like to throw some flamenco in there, guitar pieces. Are there are any flamenco palos which, as guitar pieces, make for commercial stuff? Any pieces in the public domain which might be good covers?

Is there stuff in your repertoire which non-flamenco lovers like, that makes them perk up? What is it?

Thanks, amigos.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2003 17:54:56

gerundino63

well, as you call it, my two cents:
La Lola - Rumba
cancion - Petenera Both from Paco Pena
Tempestad - Rumba from Juan Serrano

But the most non flamenco's like, is a Rumba with three chords(!)
I made to train all my right hand techniques, It goes from really slow to really fast.
when people hear that, they say:"well, that guy can really play"( you would say, that guy is a showoff, and can really cheat!)

good luck with it !

Peter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2003 18:35:35

Florian

Also another thing to consider that is not necesarely the palos that can make a cd non confrontational but the mixing of it has alot to do with it, it decides if the cd takes center stage on your attention or becomes a cd that can fall into the background.

for example : Vicentes Ciudad de las Ideas, plays some of the most serious palos but because the way is mixed (in this case his amazing reverb ) alows the cd to become a cd that you could play in the background (apropiate for cafes etc )

Recepie for a commercial rumba cd :

Have one catchy melody (the simpler the better ) make sure you repeat it into the song about 3 times. <---(the most important point )

Use only about 3 or 4 repeating chord sequences.

Not too many notes.
And check that the mixing is such that the cd can be playd in the background without demanding concentration.

Other palos you could play in it : columbiana, guajira, garrotin.

this is just my 2 cents worth.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2003 2:45:28

[Deleted] (in reply to gerundino63

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2003 16:41:32

gerundino63

RE: my demo (in reply to Guest

Hi Andy,

I am sorry, I am not Peter Bulck.

I am another Peter, living in Holland.

greetings, Peter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2003 17:55:32

[Deleted] (in reply to gerundino63

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2003 18:13:18

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

Guys, I am in the process of putting together a demo/album, something to give to prospective clients and to sell to the general public. ..Any opinions are more than welcome.

Hi Mike

First of all I think recording an album and recording a demo are two entirely different things and I think you need to focus on what you actually need at this stage.

Look at it this way, if you intend making a living from this, you need to very business like and that means you don't go giving away albums to clients! These are the people you will be *selling* your albums to when you play.

If you are making a demo in order to get gigs, either record a couple of tracks and burn them to CD, or compile a mix of clips(which was my approach). I deal with promoters, agents and private clients all the time - if someone is going to book you, they are not going to listen to a whole album to think about it, people just don't have the time. You have got about five minutes at the most to grab their attention so make the most of it. Keep it simple, go for strong recognisable melodies and forget about trying to impress people with your chops.

When you are gigging regularly, you will be able to try out material on your audiences, whether its covers or stuff you've written yourself, and *then* you will be in a better position to judge what's to go on your album.

Another thing is that you'll be suprised how long it takes to put together an album. Apart from all the writing and arranging, there is a huge load of stuff to learn if you are recording it yourself, especially if you are not recroding just solo guitar.

My advice: go for as short demo first, just covers, worry about writing your album later.

Cheers.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2003 19:12:09

gerundino63

RE: my demo (in reply to Guest

don't be sorry!

Peter is a very common name.

Yes I play a gerundino, It is the guitar with the nicest sound for me too.

Bye, Peter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2003 20:55:40

Thomas Whiteley

RE: my demo (in reply to Jon Boyes

That is good advice!

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2003 0:01:07
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages