Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Value of Self Made Guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Exitao

Value of Self Made Guitars 

When the time comes for me to choose whether I can/want to play flamenco forever and thus take the next step and obtain a quality guitar what would be better?

Buying a guitar? The problems inherent in this choice are cost and availability. If I don't spend enough, I'll be inclined to 'upgrade' later. There isn't that much available locally, so I'd have to order one in, but that means trusting in a name rather than finding one that calls out to me. And it's unlikely that I should be able to both travel and afford a guitar.

Making a guitar? There is a local luthier who teaches and will teach you to make your "dream guitar." Apparently, after learning some luthery in college he studied under another local luthier and then later travelled to Spain to study under Jose Romanillos.
At this time I have no idea what he's likely to charge or how much freedom he allows for in choices of designs or materials. I work in construction, with carpenters, so I might have some aptitude. Much of it would depend on the luthier's skills in lutherie and instruction.

Essentially, the question is whether or not it's better to spend a few thousand on a guitar made by a reputable manufacturer and decide maybe 5 years later to spend much more, or invest in lessons to build one and possible have a guitar that suits me better than if I had the run of an entire store filled with flamenco guitars? Or is the latter completely unlikely?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 3:19:37

Gecko

RE: Value of Self Made Guitars (in reply to Exitao

First, I have very little luthiery experience. However, I am in the process of restoring an old nega. So far this has included: Correcting a neck angle problem, constructing a bridge (actually modifying a classical), reaming for new tuners, fingerboard removal and replacement with graphite rod installation in the neck, refretting and finish stripping and dent steaming.

I have received a tremendous amount of help from several members here with detailed instructions, yet it is not coming out exactly as I wanted. Will it be acceptable? Yes!, but still not exactly as I had hoped it would be. One of the lessons I will take away from this experience is that there is just as much art, and perhaps more, than science when doing luthiery work and experience is probably just as important as learning and understanding the processes. Another lesson I have learned is that a flamenco guitar is a much different "beast" from a regular steel string acoustic or even a classical. Unless your instructor is familiar with flamencos and has actually built a few of them, which this instructor may have, then obviously he/she will be unable to guide you proberly. Still, in my very humble opinion, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to build your "dream guitar" on your first or even second try.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 10:25:41

Armando

Hi Exitao

I will participate also in the José Romanillos course this year but i doubt, that i would be able to teach others how to build a dreamguitar afterwards. First of all i should try for myself to improove my building skills and that thakes usually years and to gain experence requires to build quite a number of guitars.

However if you think it's worthwile for you to start building on your own guitar, go ahead. You will actually only win due to the experience that you will gain, allthough you must also be preparred to pay the price for learning (errors which are likely to occure).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 10:49:48

JBASHORUN

If money is the major isssue, then in theory its cheaper to make your dream guitar than buy a Conde for several thousand dollars. But you've also gotta consider the cost of the teaching. Some of my colleagues (at my college luthiery course) did those "build your dream guitar" courses, and they tell me it cost them over £1000 (perhaps more) just in teaching fees. Now you can buy a pretty damn good guitar for £1000! Plus there's usually quite a few students for every luthiery teacher, meaning that less time can be given on a one-to-one basis. And the other thing to consider is that nobody's first guitar will be perfect (perhaps in sound, playability or appearance). I am finding that out myself, as I go along the making process. If you are an expert in woodwork, your guitar may be be much better. But even still, there are some things only time and experience in luthiery can give you. If you can afford it, go ahead and do the luthiery course and make your own guitar, but don't expect the first one to be absolutely perfect, and perhaps not as good as the guitar you could buy with the equivalent of the teaching fees.

But at the end of the day, if you learn the techniques once, you can make more guitars later in your own time, and each one will probably improve in quality. Just make sure the teacher is good, that there aren't too many students in each class, and that you do your homework.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 16:34:13

Miguel de Maria

Doesn't it depend on how much you value your own time? It would probably take at least 6 guitars of experience to make one as good as a decent luthier (I would think). Assuming 40 hrs/ a guitar, that's 240 hrs... Add that to equipment and supplies costs, and it's going to be hard to do one "on the cheap." On the other hand, making things is fun! I have a garden and I've probably spent $1000+ on it and all for a few tomatoes and herbs! I wonder if I'll ever get my money out of it...

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 16:39:48

JBASHORUN

RE: Value of Self Made Guitars (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

It would probably take at least 6 guitars of experience to make one as good as a decent luthier (I would think). Assuming 40 hrs/ a guitar, that's 240 hrs...

Wow! Make a guitar in 40 hours? Thats like 2 days... I think it would take about 6 weeks minimum, even if you're a pro.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 16:50:24

TANúñez

RE: Value of Self Made Guitars (in reply to JBASHORUN

The usual time to build a guitar given to me by luthiers is around 3 months and this is being able to work on it everyday. My first guitar took me over a year by the time I was able to accumulate all the needed tools and find time between building and family life. My latest guitar has taken me 2 and a half months and it's near completion but I devote a lot of time now and have just about all the needed tools.

It won't be cheap either way and it will take you a few guitars before you really start building somethng very nice. Not that your first guitar won't be but that first guitar will be more about learning how to use the tools and work the wood.

If the main issue is money, I would just save and buy a good guitar because in the long run, if you continue building to make the "dream guitar", you'll probably end up spending more.

It comes down to your intentions. For me personally, I have a dream to make a name for myself as a reputable builder, so I continue to build and spend money on materials, tools and anything else required. If you just want a great guitar, then find it and buy it.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 17:59:10

Ron.M

RE: Value of Self Made Guitars (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

For me personally, I have a dream to make a name for myself as a reputable builder

I didn't know that.
I think that's a great dream Tom.
You obviously have a great love for the instrument and have a great amount of experience with top make guitars that you sell.
Others have done it at a later stage in life and have gone on to become top luthiers.
In fact I think a certain amount of maturity and experience of life is required in the building of fine instruments.
A certain attitude.

Maybe that's why there are many 19 year BMX bike acrobats and skateboarders and computer game whizz kids, but not many 19 year old old good Luthiers?

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 19:54:23

JBASHORUN

RE: Value of Self Made Guitars (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

In fact I think a certain amount of maturity and experience of life is required in the building of fine instruments.
A certain attitude.

Maybe that's why there are many 19 year BMX bike acrobats and skateboarders and computer game whizz kids, but not many 19 year old old good Luthiers?

That and the fact that woodwork is not considered "cool".

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 20:32:49

Miguel de Maria

When I made my guitar, I realized that the most important thing of all, I lacked. That is, patience! And now, as I progress in guitar, I realize that patience is of the essence there, too. Attention to detail, discipline, abstaining from emotional roller coasters due to progress or lack of, and patience.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 21:29:18

Ron.M

quote:

When I made my guitar,

That's why I didn't..
I paid Anders to make it for me...
That's his thing...
He's good at it.

I also didn't build my own car or make my fridge...

There are dedicated folk better at doing these things.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2006 21:38:00

Exitao

Thanx for the replies, based on these I have a few more questions:

As I pointed out before, there is no local selection and I would have to order a guitar in. This bugs me a little because I wouldn't get to choose the one that sounded right to me, so I'd have to go by name. Now if you gentlemen were going to have to purchase this way, wouldn't you kind of 'over-buy'? And how much would you invest, in a guitar that you'll want to use a for 10-20 years and never sell?

For those of you who have done these sorts of things (maybe Ramon will chime in?), if you had to compare your finished product to a storebought guitar, what price range would you compare it to? And how much did the quality of instruction and your own ability factor into your calculation?

How much would a good luthier's guitars go for? Not necessarily a famous luthier, but a good one? If I check out this guy's shop and ask about the prices of any he might have kicking around, what would be a good indicator price? (Assuming he's not over-inflating his prices.)
I have been to his shop a few years ago, I worked nearby, and he had said the ones he had in shop were not for sale as they were mostly showpieces, and he wouldn't part with one unless it was to someone who would really do it justice.
But he will build to order...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 7:26:48

Gecko

Personally, I would have no problem in ordering a guitar from either Anders or Aaron. I have never heard of anyone not happy with their instruments. Prices are posted on their web sites.

Anders

Aaron

Also, though he doesn't actually sell the ones he builds himself, yet, (at least as far as I know), Tom at LaFalseta sells and imports some very nice instruments and usually has some excellent used ones as well.

LaFalseta

Over the past year or so I have checked out a number of the "lessor knowns" and their prices, for a Grade 1, are not much, if any less. However, you may stumble upon somebody, somewhere, or an "up and coming" luthier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 10:17:10

Armando

I can only tell you my point of view.

a couple of years ago when i started to play flamenco guitar, i have purchased a guitar in Sevilla which was a cedar top negra from Valeriano Bernal. The guitar was a 2nd hand but only about one year old and i have paid 1000euros for it. The same model new, was priced 1600euros but the sound of the new guitar could not match the 2nd hand, because it was not broken inn. (Btw..there is definitely smoething to it with the braking in, also on cedar topped guitars).
When i bought that guitar i found it to be the best sounding guitar, because up to then i didn't played a better one. Meanwhile i've heard and played many different flamenco guitars and i know that this guitar is not the ultimate "super jigger" but it is still a good sounding guitar which i still like and i wouln't ever sell it. If i play this guitar and it doesn't sounds well, its not because the guitar is not good enough but it's because i don't play good enough.

Nevertheless i'm also intrigued to buy some high end guitars but i've realized that i couldn't afford to spend that much money just for a guitar. Therefore i took the other way. I started to build flamenco guitars by myself. Now after three years i must say, that all the money i've spent in tools, tonewoods, books, plans and courses have exceeded the price for a highend guitar by far, but.....
I didn't had to pay all at the time and more important, i've learned a wonderful craft, which gives me a lot of satisfaction and a change to my rather boring office job. But now...am i able to build a guitar that sounds equal to a Conde or Reyes or any other famous Luthier? No, i'm still far away of that, even when this is one of my personal goals.

I think you should deside for yourself, what is more important for you:

The playing or the building of guitars.

If it's the playing, i definitely recommend you to forget about the building. You'll better invest your money if you buy one. On top of that you'll gonna save a lot of time.

If it's the building, don't care too much about what would happen if this or that..Just go for it and you'll be happy to play your first self made guitar even if it will not be perfect.

Very few luthiers have managed to be also a good player. Some of them know only a couple of chords. There are exceptions though. R.E Bruné is such an exception but read his biography. It has some things in common with what i have written above.

Armando
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 10:34:08

Jon Boyes

RE: Value of Self Made Guitars (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
I also didn't build my own car or make my fridge...

LOL Yes exactly, life is too short.

I once tried to fit a bath, with the help of a friend. Now I know why plumbers earn good money.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 12:19:42

JBASHORUN

quote:

When I made my guitar, I realized that the most important thing of all, I lacked. That is, patience!

You made a guitar, Miguel? I didn't know that. How did it turn out? any pictures?

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 13:28:51

Ron.M

quote:

You made a guitar, Miguel? I didn't know that.

I know...that's what I was thinking too..

Somehow the image of Mike in a work apron, covered with wood shavings and weilding chisels and scrapers etc isn't one that fits in with the "Elegant Spanish Guitar" impression I have...

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 13:42:42

Miguel de Maria

I guess Ron you don't remember that I became a luthier at one time.

Yes, that's right. I quit my day job, with the intent of building guitars by day. You see, my girlfriend was a lawyer and our schedules didn't mesh too well with me waiting tables/playing guitar.

I bought Ron Cumpiano's book, got tons of clamps and tools, an LMI catalog, and set to work.

My first project was to be a mahogany back and sides, red cedar flamenco.

To make a long story short, I had no woodworking experience of any kind. I had never sawed, routed, sanded, glued, chiseled, or cut in my life. I also set the requirement that it was going to be all hand tools. Don't ask me why I get these weird ideas into my head . Those of you who have been "handy" your whole life probably don't realize that mundane tasks like sharpening a plane, sawing a piece of wood to measurements, indeed measuring itself are skills. Skills I did not possess.

Cumpiano marveled at the master luthiers and their "infinite patience." My patience comes in at the other end, between "ADD" and "impulsive." Unfortunately making guitars did not change this to any degree.

My workshop was initially set up in the garage. Working from the book, and without power tools (except a small router that I got), I completed the "box" in about a month. This includes planing and cutting out the sides, back, front; curving the sides with a side bender (the worst part); chiseling a bridge (the most fun and my best part I think); installing tuners; installing fret wire; installing a rosette; making kerfing; making braces; and of course gluing the whole thing together.

I strung it up with some old black La Bellas. I held down an E7b9 chord, and...thwak! The strings, when strummed, merely flapped against some part of the fingerboard that had been incorrectly angled.... Taking out my trusty straightedge, I determined that a bit of planing would probably solve the problem. All I would have to do is take off some fret wire, plane down, then put some lacquer over the whole thing, and..

It was at this point that I lost interest. What can I say, the guitar was a mess. It was not even symmetrical because the side bending process had been a disaster. It was small and also very shallow-bodied, also due to mistakes here. It took me about a month, if I recall. Maybe if I had taken a year as Tom had said, it would have turned out better! But that's just how I was...

So the "guitar" sits in a case in my garage. Maybe, someday, I'll hire someone to tweak it and then spray lacquer it, just for fun.

Total cost: approx $7000 in tools, supplies, and lost wages!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 15:56:41

Miguel de Maria

Exitao,
my first advice to you is to forget the notion that you will be buying a great guitar and play it for 20 years. It doens't really work that way.

The way it works, is you get the best guitar you can afford, and you deal with its problems and learn how to play on it. Eventually, you get tired of it or you realize you could do better. In the process of playing it, you are hopefully learning what it does well and what it does badly. That is how you learn what kind of guitar to buy.

Armed with this new knowledge, you get another, hopefully better guitar. You put the old one up on ebay, unless you have been afflicted with GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome), which means you will keep it and most of the others you end up getting. You repeat the process, learning how to play and also learning about this guitar.

The idea is that over time, you become knowledgeable about exactly what it is you need in a guitar. Another option is that you accumulate an array of guitars at great financial and relationship-related expense. Another option is that you become a "guitar seller" like Tom, a job in which you are allowed to smell the soundholes of lots of really nice guitars!

I have had good luck over the internet. I bought a Vicente Carillo from Tom Nunez, and a Tezanos Perez from Patrick Harris. Both experiences were excellent. I wouldn't get another VC, though, over time I realize the neck was too wide for me. Besides that it was great. But you find these things out over time. I really think this "buy one great guitar for life" thing is a myth. Sure, it CAN work out that way. But more likely, you are going to change and you may want the guitar to change too.

On another note, I might be willing to sell my Francisco Navarro negra (it has a pickup in it).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 16:08:48

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria
The way it works, is you get the best guitar you can afford, and you deal with its problems and learn how to play on it. Eventually, you get tired of it or you realize you could do better.

I think all this is right on the money.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 19:13:24

Armando

quote:

I strung it up with some old black La Bellas. I held down an E7b9 chord, and...thwak! The strings, when strummed, merely flapped against some part of the fingerboard that had been incorrectly angled.... Taking out my trusty straightedge, I determined that a bit of planing would probably solve the problem. All I would have to do is take off some fret wire, plane down, then put some lacquer over the whole thing, and..

It was at this point that I lost interest. What can I say, the guitar was a mess. It was not even symmetrical because the side bending process had been a disaster. It was small and also very shallow-bodied, also due to mistakes here. It took me about a month, if I recall. Maybe if I had taken a year as Tom had said, it would have turned out better! But that's just how I was...

So the "guitar" sits in a case in my garage. Maybe, someday, I'll hire someone to tweak it and then spray lacquer it, just for fun.

Miguel de Maria

This hurts for sure. I remember well when i was reading your posts that you have luthier tools for sale. That was the time when i startet to buy them and i was wondering what happened that you don't want to continue in the luthierie.
I was in the fortunate situation that i had already experience in woodworking due to my apprenticeship as wood turner allthough lutherie is still a whole different thing. Mistakes happened to me too, but fortunately not that fatal, that i had to stick my guitar into the oven. The first guitar came out quite acceptable and well playable and the second was already pretty good. That's why until now i didn't regret the investment that i've done so far.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 20:30:18

Ron.M

quote:

LOL!

Mike...You'll have to write a book one day of all your adventures and escapades with the parties and the limos and other stuff man....
"Adventures of an 'Elegant Guitarist'.."

I'll buy it for sure!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 21:14:32

Miguel de Maria

RE: Value of Self Made Guitars (in reply to Armando

quote:

ORIGINAL: Armando

The first guitar came out quite acceptable and well playable and the second was already pretty good.

I'm so glad it came out well. That must be a great feeling, to play something you made of your own hands. Now I do gardening. It is fun to eat a tomato I planted!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2006 23:23:23

JBASHORUN

quote:

Now I do gardening. It is fun to eat a tomato I planted!

Ah, but can you play a E7b9 chord on a tomato?

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2006 11:24:16

Exitao

So I had emailed that local luthier before you guys told me to 'forgetaboudit' and I just finally rec'd a replay back.

My email:
quote:

I am curious to ask a few questions regarding this programme:

Expenditures of time and money are the first to come to mind. How much would one be looking at for tuition and materials? And on average, how many man-hours would go into such an endeavour?

Lastly, assuming one has an average level of talent/ability and perhaps even some luck, how would the end product likely compare to guitars on the market, quality-wise?

The value of the experience should more than justify the expenses, but as for sound and playability, if we took a hypothetical average student’s average finished guitar and compared it to a retail guitar. What price range would it be comparable to? I’m sure that this probably seems like a question that’s impossible to answer because these things are too subjective, but if you had to answer out of pride, or because someone pestered you for and answer what kind of answer would you give?

His reply:
quote:

Thanks for your e-mail lets see if I can sum it up for you. I charge $80.00/hour for the instruction, average materials/supplies cost are between $600.00 to $800.00. Man-hours depends on the man( how hard you work at it , how much homework you do ect) Finished guitars are on average around the $3000.00 $4000.00 range with the highest so far being independantly appraised at $12.000.

Real names left out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2006 5:22:49

Exitao

BTW:

Tomatos are not chromatic. Diatonic only. They only come in a few keys.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2006 5:24:06

JBASHORUN

Exitao,
I told you those courses were expensive. He was a bit vague about the number of hours it would take to make the guitar. But lets just say it won't be less than 2 months worth of work. When you multiply that by $80 per hour, and add materials, it sure adds up. Think carefully before making any decisions.

Jb

ps: based on a 35 hour week, thats $2,800 just for the first week!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2006 10:09:11

Exitao

Yeah, I noticed the vagueness too. $80 is a fair bit.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2006 16:51:24

Armando

quote:

Yeah, I noticed the vagueness too. $80 is a fair bit.

If you live in a place like Zürich, Switzerland it sounds quite realistic.

Btw. Zürich is always a city rated in the top ten of the cities with the highest living cost worldwide. A swiss luthier simply can't work for 30 bucks an hour and if so, not for a long time.

Armando

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2006 18:29:09

Exitao

I don't know if I've said where I'm from and all that, but I'm in Vancouver, Canada. This luthier's shops is in an area pretty much specifically for artisans and is also quite touristy.

When I look at what his overhead is, I can see how $80/hr is reasonable from his point of view. How many hours of teaching and how many guitars must he build and sell in order to not only pay the rent, but make a reasonable profit.

However $80 is $80 and how many of those $80 would I be shelling out?
I still have no idea of how many man hours would involved in this and how many teaching hours would be required, assuming I was diligent in my 'homework.'

The main attraction of building my own guitar is that it would (hopefully) be built to my aesthetic standard. The process itself would (hopefully) teach much more about the instrument itself so that I can appreciate quality workmanship and sound.

I do work with carpenters in my everyday life, so the idea of luthery and working with would in a much finer way intrigues me. Especially as trade craft, experience and feeling would be import parts of making special instruments...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2006 23:36:37
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post