Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Palos   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gj Michelob

RE: Palos (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

A Scottish songwriter/player once said...

"I really hate bringing out a new album....

I mean...it's a bit like holding your dirty underwear up for everybody to see..."

Not necessarily “dirty” underwear, although quite vivid an image to impress, but intimate apparel nonetheless…

And in addition to the emotional turbulence one experiences when sharing his “intimate music”, then you have to deal with those who can always find similarities between your music and a more famous tune, the “oh.. that totally sound like … “ kinda jerks. Nothing gets me as exercised as those do.
If we apply the scottish metaphor, it is a bit like suggesting I am wearing someone else's dirty underwear!!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2010 13:17:16

Ron.M

RE: Palos (in reply to gj Michelob

No prob gj,

EVERYBODY has been influenced by everthing they've heard.
As long as you don't keep it too close, then you're in safe waters.
(Surely you should know that as a Lawyer? )

("Dirty" underwear simply means "used underwear to be washed" in the Scottish vernacular...same as a "dirty" (or used) shirt...)

As for Scottish "underwear" jokes, probably my favourite one is the one describing an Edinburgh "Morningside" (posh area in Edinburgh) Lady trying to keep up appearances, when actually they are scrimping and scraping at home....

it's..

"All fur coat and no knickers..."

I love that one!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2010 13:29:36

gj Michelob

quote:

("Dirty" underwear simply means "used underwear to be washed" in the Scottish vernacular...same as a "dirty" (or used) shirt...)

Understood... I know you did not mean “dirty” as in unclean or in foul game.

I used an analogous metaphor to describe my own songs, in one of my country tunes’ lyrics:

“…. every song I write/ is a door to my heart that opens wide/
and shows my soul, my feelings, my own thoughts/ like dripping laundry hanging on a wire/”

As to the originality of composition, I strive to be different –in anything I do (I even invented a new area of law practice, just to be singular). In fact, I should invent my own Palo the “serenata” where melody must be “cantabile” and the guitar does the singing.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2010 18:38:50

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

PS: I expect Ricardo to do his "contrary dude" bit he's famous for by saying something like..

"Um...no, no and NO!!......Bringing out a new album is a sheer joy... I don't understand?... Nobody in my area has any problems about that?

Why would they?

Sheesh!

It's all about being secure in your ideas and technique and playing the right things in the right places and having the beat following you ....not you following IT! I don't see the problem here?"

cheers,

Ron

PS Sorry about the bad mood guys, it's been a tough day today...

Sorry my bad mood put you in one too ron.

My sarcastic comeback was going to be "What? In UK they don't have the flamenco unemployment office like they do here? When we run low on gigs we just hop on down and they find us work..." but I opted to not keep going with this, since it just makes us upset to argue.

My basic point is, if you think you are not good enough, or there is no work for you, then there won't be. You have to go out and do things and improve yourself along the way. I was gonna make a challenge for anyone up for it, quite your day job and start a flamenco career. The prize is you come to my town and sub all my gigs and or events for a week. I guess I should, to help MYSELF, discourage anyone from trying to do it cuz they would be my potential competition. What I have discovered over the years, is that if you encourage others and help them to get work, it works out for everyone, it generates interest and it all comes back. Most musicians call it networking...I truely believe it is possible so long as you know how to handle the potential sabatours (sp?) and careful not to make enemies with any colleagues.

Anyway I will let it go, you are right..... until I get a gig in London.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2010 14:52:21

at_leo_87

RE: Palos (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

was gonna make a challenge for anyone up for it, quite your day job and start a flamenco career. The prize is you come to my town and sub all my gigs and or events for a week.

you're on! i'll get back to you in a few years. i'm going to find a sensei and train with him in the mountains for awhile first. {insert training montage with cheesy 80's music here}

edit: but seriously

quote:

My basic point is, if you think you are not good enough, or there is no work for you, then there won't be. You have to go out and do things and improve yourself along the way

What I have discovered over the years, is that if you encourage others and help them to get work, it works out for everyone, it generates interest and it all comes back. Most musicians call it networking...I truely believe it is possible so long as you know how to handle the potential sabatours (sp?) and careful not to make enemies with any colleagues.

that's some really great advice. so how do you handle saboteurs? besides the obvious using a sturdy 2x4

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2010 15:26:40

Ron.M

RE: Palos (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

My sarcastic comeback was going to be "What? In UK they don't have the flamenco unemployment office like they do here?

No...but PLENTY artists and musicians sign on at the Unemployment Offices here to claim their weekly unemployment benefit!
When they do gigs, they appear under a different name to avoid getting caught!

(Certainly in the 70's it was a standard way of life for all the musos I knew!)

Yeah Ricardo, I'm sorry too. I'd had a really lousy day with everything going wrong and I was pretty touchy.

Actually the audience potential of the USA is so big that you could be on tour permanently, giving one concert + a workshop in every state once per year, playing genuine hardcore Flamenco and have a fresh audience each time. (including attracting the "curious" who just want to see what Flamenco guitar is all about!)

In the UK, you can certainly make a regular living playing "Latin" guitar, with popular classics like Tico Tico, La Bamba and My Way (rumba version) with some pop ballads and some Classical and Flamenco chucked in.
And do things like Functions and Weddings as well as teaching.

Corporate events are like the numero uno gig and pay top dollar!

Jon Boyes has been doing that professionally for years and years without having to travel too far from the South of England.

But you're right... let's just let it go....(for now )

Apologies anyway amigo.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2010 2:33:26

XXX

RE: Palos (in reply to Jim Opfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
it generates interest and it all comes back.

Wow in america things seem to be really different. In germany, if you give away a gig, it does not really come back. Its just gone .
Now seriously, i dont know it. But i have never seen a guitarrist actively helping another one, or anyone to get a gig. I am also not sure if the majority has a "weekly" gig at all. I mean you are speaking of multiple gigs A WEEK.

As an amateur player i need not worry about such things. But it affects the way others see you. Either potential competitor, or collaborator. I have witnessed it since moving. But as long as i make progression as a guitarrist, i dont really need gigs or dance accomp. Each his own i guess...

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2010 5:28:02

Ron.M

quote:

When they do gigs, they appear under a different name to avoid getting caught!

Just occured to me...

That's probably how Johnny Martin became Juan Martín...

(No! No!...ees no me.... I ees Espanish!)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2010 10:09:48

NormanKliman

Hey Ron and Ricardo, forgive me for butting in, it's none of my business, I don't mean to sound preachy, etc. but I have to say, that's what I call kicking off the new year right! Really man, no sarcasm intended.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2010 12:28:51
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote