Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: IM OFFENDED   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Grisha

RE: IM OFFENDED (in reply to Guest

Ahh, just face it, people! You all can not live without a good doze of argument! I bet after you post something you await the responce as a fisherman waits for the bite. You don't want this forum to become boring. I do not think that whoever left did so because of the argument. I believe they had other reasons, and it just was a convenient time. Guess what? You can choose to get offended or you can choose not to. I choose the later.

Peace!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2006 5:10:32

RE: IM OFFENDED (in reply to Grisha

Good call Grisha, theres a saying here that i think is appropriate. 'He who tries to please everyone, pleases no one'. If anything the turn of events latley has highlighted the divide between so called 'traditionalists' and so called 'modernists'.
This is nothing new or unique to flamenco, you will find this in almost every walk of life, profession and especially artforms.
O.k i admit most of my posts im just joking around and not being serious at all, this one i am.
What is traditional? What is modern? We consider players like Nino Josele, Ramon Jimanez etc as modern. We consider players like Sabicas etc as traditional. But wasnt Sabicas modern in his time and will players like Nino Josele be considered traditional in 50 years?
Its sad that people get so offended when someone holds a different view from them( it can be entertaining at the time, but when the dust settles and the bodycount begins its very sad)
I dont have an answer to the divide between old school and new school, maybe both 'sides' need to consider the fact that no single person holds the definative answer to the 'right way' of doing things, except maybe Paco who i might add, has played both very 'traditional' and very 'modern' in his career.
just a thought
as Grisha says,
Peace!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2006 23:19:34

carlos soto

wow I like that saying, It's gonna be my new motto
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2006 23:35:10

John O.

To be honest I must admit I agree with Grisha. It's kind of like watching Jerry Springer - you know it's bad but at the same time so entertaining...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2006 15:16:42

[Deleted] (in reply to Exitao

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 9:48:33

Exitao

Wow! Necroposting.

I like debate, for the above-mentioned reasons and because I find that when I have to state and support my stated views, it helps crystalise my comprehension of the subject and my perspective. Often times we don't fully understand our beliefs or POVs until we articulate or defend them.

If people take the time to read and respond properly (instead of reacting before understanding), it doesn't matter at all if anything is resolved (or more likely not); both parties are likely to come away with new information and a better understanding of the subject as a whole.

Passionate debate is even better. As Ron points out, ad hominem attacks are the real problem. People who have to attack people instead of ideas are just plain poopy-heads. Yeah... I said it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 10:13:10

[Deleted] (in reply to Grisha

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 13:45:38

Florian

Domenic i know what u saying but the truth is i think that anyone who says that he dosent get offended hasent uploaded a audio lately , or is lying, or hasent been offended lately.(its really eazy to do when you dont put yourself out there)

its really eazy to say i dont get offended when u acctualy cant even remember what it feels like , i mean id like to think i dont get offended eazily.

but if somene puts something i do down i get offended. and so does every sinlge person that gets criticesed if they say they dont they just dont have enough confidence to say "screw u pal i am offended"

they either scared of making waves or didnt care enough about it to begin with.

it is ok to get offended (within reason) , its not ok to go out of your way to offend someone perrsonaly or say, hes not flamenco or he'l never do it or whatever.

I been here long enough to see almost every single member get offended at one time or another, and even seen todk (BIGTIME!) get offended at flamenco teacher, so its a human emotion, its natural.

and whomever says he dosent get offended put your hand up cause id like to test that

I know in theory wed all love to think we cool and we dont care but the truth is that's **** , ofcourse we do

i try to get mine out of the way then and there so i dont have to carry grudges, i am happy to say i dont carry 1 single grudge, i am like brand new ith every single member

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 15:06:27

RE: IM OFFENDED (in reply to Florian

quote:

Wow! Necroposting

Flo, i wrote this thread in response to the whole modern vs tradional debate from memory. I think quite a few were getting offended etc. I dont see the point in people getting toey just because someones not into what theyre into, passionate is good but let other be passionate about their thing. The thread starter was also very tounge in check, if you read through it, it doesnt exactly make a lot of sense but nonetheless, does make a point.

I aggree that critism in regards to peoples playing here should always be tactful and only for contructive purposes(Ricardo does this well). And i know its natural that people will get offended sometimes, i was just talking about trad vs modern debate in this post. I might add that most of the time its the people who only feel trad flamenco is the right flamenco, are the ones going out of their way dissing modern flamenco and not the other way round.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 21:52:18

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 22:00:31

Ricardo

quote:

What's necroposting.

He might be refering to the fact that you keep digging up "dead" topics. Some topics that have thankfully been forgotten, may have at one time stired some people up or got people into arguements or whatever. I don't see anything wrong with it, sincer YOUR purpose is not that, but to get involoved in specific topics that interest you. In other forums I visit people always say "read the archives, do a search noob!", but they don't expect them to "resurrect" old threads, just read em.

Anyway, I dont' have a problem with you doing it. Just beaware that sometimes certain sensative issues were better off "dead and burried".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 22:38:08

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 22:48:54

koella

What about threads that still piss people off when they see them again.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 22:53:11

Exitao

necroposting = resurecting dead threads

I wasn't complaining, just sort of laughing at it. I used to be a real forums-whore so I've seen it before, but it always manages to surprise me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 23:18:13

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 23:22:08

koella

It's allright Rom. I don't mind to be pissed off.
Everything for a little amusement.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2006 23:25:34

Florian

quote:

Flo, i wrote this thread in response to the whole modern vs tradional debate from memory

oh I see
cool i was just speaking generally, i dont see how someone not liking a guitarist's music u like could ever offend you, i'd never undertstand why you would ever wanna lash out at someone over that.

I love Ojos de Brujo, but realize its not everyones cup off tea, id never get offended if someone didnt like em, i might discuss it and try and understand it why (mibe) but id never get upset enough to then turn it personal and insult the person who dosent like it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2006 6:16:06

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2006 8:07:16

John O.

Some on here might not believe this, but most people say I'm the most apathetic person they've ever met Quoting the dude "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..." usually makes a person more angry than if I would argue with them.

I've rarely flipped out on here. For the times I have I couldn't say why. Something brought out a little monster in me. A lot may have to do with the fact that we don't see each other, only read words.

I could never imagine myself getting mad if somebody dissed PDL for example - that's Paco's problem and I'm sure he can cope With me it's always be unconstructive critisizm that bugs me.

Ricardo is really the best at critisizing without hitting a nerve. Also he usually really helps with tips (the reason most of us are here) instead of just egotistically ranting about how something sucks.

Ah, well. I dunno. Who cares? (See? This is how I am in real life )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2006 8:09:08

Gummy

RE: IM OFFENDED (in reply to John O.

I think that's the key. Criticize with suggestions that can help improve someone's work. Don't just criticize to shoot someone down. I'm surprised how few people respond with audio examples to help others. Like a 5 second upload to show how the timing in a falsetta might be played to better fit into the compas would help much better than saying someone just can't grasp compas and is not playing flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2006 13:22:21
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post