Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2006 20:31:07

mentrida

RE: Thumbnail (in reply to Guest

Lionel,

I keep mine very short so wear is not an issue. Then again, I'm no where near most players here.

My teacher has his thumb nail slanted from wear and it does not seem to cause a problem for him. As far as I know, he does not use any products, just "al natural".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 2:12:24

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 3:04:16

henrym3483

lionel,

i dunno how many times i've recommended this stuff but i assure you it is great stuff.
i dont' use BS products on my nails, so trust me on this one.BTW its a french product and they take beauty and cosmetics very seriously so thats some reassurance.

i use ecrinal once every 2wks rubbing it into the cuticle and the nail itself until completely absorbed. my teacher recommended me this stuff and i have never had a broken thumb or finger nail broken since then.

not only does it strengthen the nail but ive noticed little by my nails have gotten thicker over the last 3 months. i get it for around €12 from my chemist.

http://www.bkconcepts.com/products/HandsNails/EN.htm

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 10:08:13

henrym3483

RE: Thumbnail (in reply to henrym3483

if you want to go au natural take keratin supplements(available from the pharmacy) and according to a friend of mine who does classical he rubs pure olive oil into his at the cuticle to strengthen them, however his nails do have an off yellow colour at times.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 10:21:33

gerundino63

Hi Lionel,

I do not have the problem with normal flamenco stuff, but with two frends I play sometimes Rumba together, you know, Gipsy kings stuff.
Than my thumb wears out too.

To affoid this ( or make it wear out less) I put some superglue on the left side of the thumbnail ( the part that hits the string) about three layers. I polish it all, and play.
It wears than out a lot less.
Also a frend of mine who is a pro flamenco guitarist have the next trick, when he is on tour: He saves the cut-off thumbnals from his left hand, and glues it on the right hand.

All the best!
Peter.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 10:54:13

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 18:42:16

gerundino63

Hi Lionel,

I do not have problems with superglue.Nothing happens with the nail.
I only put it on the part that is in contact with the strings, not the whole nail.
Perhaps, if you doubt a lot, use it first on the left thumb, you can see what happens.

Good luck,
Peter

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 19:47:09

koella

I'm not giving you advice Shroomy. But let me tell what simple solution works perfect for me. In fact it's so simple I wonder why I never read it on this forum before.

I do all my pulgar excersises mainly on the G, B and E string. So the wearing out is zero. When I manage to do the technique at a certain speed I try it on the other strings.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 20:55:38

mentrida

Hey Lionel,

Sorry for the late reply, this work of mine has always gotten on the way of my flamenco career.

I agree with you. Can't get the same sound or tech with only flesh. Hope you find something that works.

I've been at it for about 3 years now. Started with no knowledge of guitar at all and jumped right into flamenco with an old clasical guitar. Spent 2 years relaxing with the guitar at night in front of the tv and eventually got lucky enough to find a great teacher in my area. Unfortunatelly, two jobs with many hours and a family limit my class time to maybe once a month. Still, I can see great improvement everytime a take one.

Bottom line is, I love flamenco and have a great time relaxing and pretending to play .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2006 23:24:00

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 1:09:46

koella

Well like I said. For me it works well.
I think the comparison with the gold-diamond thing is not so good. Unless you want to cut your strings with your nails
The problem is not the hardness of the strings but the SURFACE.
The bass strings are like a file. The treble strings are smooth.
When I do intense alzapua excercises on the bass strings I can almost see my nail getting shorter by the minute.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 6:51:31

henrym3483

RE: Thumbnail (in reply to koella

lionel,

the nails do not become hard per se, the keratin becomes tougher, ie less easier to break, less wear-tear etc. hardness can in some cases denote that the nail may become brittle.

toughness on the other hand means the actual nail wears very little and the force it can withstand has improved.(ie less chance of breaking when doing a rapid alzapua)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 7:58:12

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 13:51:39

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shroomy726
But even then, when I use my thumb, even a little bit, my nail wears. It becomes slanted! It is like the strings eat away my nail, not letting me play.

Lionel, I know you the thread is about the Sally Hansen stuff, but I just wanted to make a suggestion, that you look at HOW you play with your thumb.

Do you contact with just nail? If you do and the angle of attack is such that the string has no where to go but into your nail, I think you will wear it away whatever you coat it with. As already mentioned, a wound string can act just like a thin file.

These things are always difficult to describe rather than demonstrate, but to start with you want your wrist slung low with your thumb pointing upwards.

I contact with flesh first immediately followed by nail (or sometimes flesh and nail) but the way my nail is filed (slight inward slant on the string side, filed from the inside edge out) means the string just rides along the inside edge, over the top edge and off, without the string digging into the nail.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 15:06:50

John O.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 25 2006 15:19:01
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 15:18:21

John O.

RE: Thumbnail (in reply to John O.

I had the same experience Jon is talking about. I eventually got to playing "flesh tone" using the thumb and have a lot of calus supporting the nail. Since then I don't have the problem you write about - before I did though.

It does suck to have week long breaks in your practise until you get it right though, so if you want to take a chance, try this:

Go to a nail studio, find the hottest chick there (that part's important ) Have her give you gel tips with about three times the thickness of what she gives her usual customers. This shouldn't bother her, the stuff is really cheap, it's the work they charge you for.

If she's never done a guitarist's nails before, it could take her a few tries to get it right, but if it's worth $25 a month to you to never worry about a broken or worn nail ever again - go for it. It made my playing so much better. Not all people like the thick nails though, and if you also play classical it'll majorly ruin your tone.

If you do decide to do it though, tell her she doesn't have to put the final shiny coat on, otherwise every second person you meet will ask if you wear nail polish

John
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 15:18:52

henrym3483

RE: Thumbnail (in reply to John O.

quote:

Henry,

You are right, hardness can denote that the nail may become brittle, but that is what I want! Anything that increases the hardness of a material increases the brittleness too. So I want to have more brittle (ie less ductile) but harder nails. But if what you tell me is correct (about the keratin increasing the toughness) then that means that I cannot get my nails to be harder by definition.

lionel,

you want brittle nails? .ok i'll define the benefits as i see them from using ecrinal as i see it:

1) my nails are very strong they have a very crisp biting sound whereas before i couldn't do techs like alzapua for long periods for fear of breaking them.they are also thicker and more dense. i can get the same tone as a plastic pick from my nails.

2) the nails do not wear very much, ie get eroded much by constant practice, i have to file them regularily because ecrinal stimulates growth as well as strength in the nail.

3) they do not break if i hit them off something, ie doing chores which would happen frequently before i started using the stuff.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 16:28:40

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 18:49:23

henrym3483

lionel,

as regards the plastic pick tone, maybe it was'nt the best description, i would say my pulgar tech has a clearer biting tone,like my pick on the acoustic guitar rather than the soft almost muffled tone i had before.

if you have oscar herreros first video im doing all the pulgar and pulgar indice chromatic scales in the same manner as oscar (perhaps not at the same speed though )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2006 8:49:01

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2006 14:16:27

henrym3483

hahahaha

you should ask your local chemist or beauty parlour, it's sold in alot of places.
i wish you the best of luck with your nails
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2006 15:01:00

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2006 13:32:08

ivan

If your nail wears out just from doing exercises, Then my guess it's that you may have brittle nails and you may benefit from acrylics. nails usually wear out quick from intense playing w/ dancers. In this case, crazy glue, etc..to the tips of the nails is recommended. My problem is usually when working w/ a dancer for 2 hrs that you really see wear and tear. I also recommend buying MSM from any vitamin shoppe. You just ask for MSM tablets. It makes your nails (also hair) grow faster, in case they wear out.
Ivan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2006 1:47:29

seanm

I've had about 5 lessons with 5 different players in the last few weeks and every single one said "I don't know any flamencos that are not using acrylics now". (BTW, one of those was Juan Martin ... a really great guy and funny and knows so many different palos).

I've got a silk wrap + nail gel kit (OPI Microwrap) on the way and will give that try. I'll report back for anyone interested.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2006 14:27:25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote