Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Alternative Heat Sources   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Gecko

Alternative Heat Sources 

I'm contemplating removing a fretboard, frets and perhaps later a bridge on my old negra project guitar and heat will be required. Obviously the LMI Surface Heaters would be best, but they are pretty expensive, particularly if they will only be used once or twice.

There are two alternatives I have read about:

1. Regular household iron on the wool setting using steam. Why steam? I would have thought that steam would have a damaging/warping effect on the wood.

2. Model Airplane Sealing Iron. I have found one at Tower Hobbies for $13.00, with 100-350 degree thermostat, width 2.8” and length 4.75” which should be adequate for both a fretboard and bridge removal.

Comments from anyone who has used either of these two heat sources for guitar work would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2006 10:57:06

aarongreen

RE: Alternative Heat Sources (in reply to Gecko

I have used both a clothes iron and a heat lamp. The model airplance iron should work fine as well. When using a clothes iron. I set it at the steam setting as well as thats the hottest. I don't think using water is a good idea and imagine that whoever told you this bit of info meant using the steam setting as well.

One thing you want to make very, very sure of is that you properly mask the face of the guitar when heating up the fretboard above the 12th fret. Get some posterboard and make a shield that covers the whole upper bought and soundhole with a cutout eactly the shape of the fingerboard. You want that thing to slide into place and mate with the sides of the board perfectly. If you picked up the guitar and turned it upsidedown, that shield should stay in place. Then you get some aluminum foil and spray adhesive and cover one side of the shield with aluminum foil to reflect the heat. Obviously that is now the up side of the shield.

This can be a very tricky operation and I have to honestly say that its also a good way to ruin your guitar. Be very careful and keep an eye on your pallete knife as your seperating the glue joint. You don't want to mess up the neck or top.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2006 11:40:10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post