Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Update cookies preferences

PdL Falseta from "Viviré de Camarón"   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

machopicasso

PdL Falseta from "Viviré de Ca... 

Here's a tutorial video for a nice, short falseta. The demonstration (at tempo and then slower) starts at 3:00:

Paco plays a different version of it at 11:45 in his Bratislava concert from '88. (The song starts at 10:00):

While we're on the Bratislava concert, does anyone know if the bit in the opening bulerias at 3:19-26 is on an album? I've seen him play that in other concerts, but I'm having trouble recalling it from the albums to which I've listened.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2024 5:32:33

Ricardo

RE: PdL Falseta from "Viviré d... (in reply to machopicasso

I show that full falseta, the original Fuente y Caudal version in my Paco tutorial 1. Starting from the Chords right before the bass line part you are asking about, used to be that nice arpegio that I show which is tricky. He simplified it and then Added the bass line thing in live shows starting around the time of the Trio concerts. So technically yes you find that on his guitar solo from 1980 Saturday night in San Francisco, but is only on live recordings ever after as far as I recall. At 3:45

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2024 12:14:03

machopicasso

RE: PdL Falseta from "Viviré d... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

So technically yes you find that on his guitar solo from 1980 Saturday night in San Francisco, but is only on live recordings ever after as far as I recall.

Thanks. That's helpful.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2024 5:12:16

Stu

Hey thanks for that video. I'm not that familiar with that falseta and seems like a nice simple one to add to the repertoire.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2024 10:33:27

machopicasso

RE: PdL Falseta from "Viviré d... (in reply to Stu

Yeah, it's fun and not too difficult. For reference, here's the original:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2024 4:27:32

machopicasso

Those interested in learning the accompanying guitar for the entire song might want to check-out the video below. This guy's mapped out all of the chords.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2024 7:55:24

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: machopicasso

Those interested in learning the accompanying guitar for the entire song might want to check-out the video below. This guy's mapped out all of the chords.

Yes he has it. The first tutorial is not right. The only thing is, I suspect Paco is playing in C# capo 1 rather than por medio. Only because there the tonic chord is constantly held with the flat 9, when normally it bounces between A and Bb with a hammer on…it suggests a barre shape where that bounce is not an option. I think Tomatito’s guitar is likely por medio with capo higher, and paco plays in a different key. The final track on the same album is more obvious in this regard, but I think this track is likely the same idea. Paco’s sextet versions with Pepe do the same idea.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2024 13:56:17

xirdneH_imiJ

They used to like to vary it the way you say, but in this one it's capo 5 por medio for both guitars, definitely during the falsetas. Some of my favourite ideas are combining rondeña tuning with standard.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2024 17:25:02

Ricardo

RE: PdL Falseta from "Viviré d... (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: xirdneH_imiJ

They used to like to vary it the way you say, but in this one it's capo 5 por medio for both guitars, definitely during the falsetas. Some of my favourite ideas are combining rondeña tuning with standard.

The other thing is I hear the split panning such that tomatito is left and paco is on the right. Paco never played the falseta even, in the bass. He plays it an octave higher always, only Tomatito is playing the falseta like the guy shows. I guess the Mandola or oud plays it in the opening by Carlos Benevant?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2024 19:36:04

xirdneH_imiJ

It could well be Benavent playing the mandola/oud, but the style of playing (in all the pieces he uses the instrument even later on) and choice of notes is so Paco. I dedicated a falseta collection to Paco and Tomatito playing bulerías together and in most cases Paco is on the left channel. I'd be curious how they came to the decision who to put where.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2024 22:39:02
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post