Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Are you resistant to change?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: Are you resistant to change? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

String theory evidence requires energies to probe and experiment, beyond that possible...ever. You know that particle collider in Switzerland? You would need one the size of the universe to do string theory experiments. The only proof of that theory will have to be mathematical and abstract. That is a BIG problem for a lot of scientists, so I doubt that theory will ever be TOTALLY accepted.

There would be 5 dimensions if you considered "time" a dimension (required for General Relativity). So it can be confusing, but the 5th dimension as refered to is really the 4th spacial dimension. Make sense? If you have trouble wrapping your brain around the 4th spacial dimension, check out the Carl Sagan video. Any kid can imagine it the way he explains it so simply. But string theory REQUIRES the use of 6 higher dimensions than even that.

As far as "resitant to change" goes...here is the article in support of inflation which is starting to "turn" me.

I thought I would join the necroposting since I found that Sagan vid on youtube finally.

I said any kid could get it but, judging by comments to the vid, I guess I was wrong.
Here is the teserect, if you cross your eyes you can see it in 3D:

Also, the large Hadron Collider I was talking about in Switzerland, will get turned on for the first time before the end of the year. They have no idea yet what they will discover with the thing.

Ricardo
ps whatever happend to Miguel de Maria??/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2007 17:38:59

gato

RE: Are you resistant to change? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Change is the ebb and flow which is the fabric of reality. We have to embrace change in order to live in life with our constant situation, that is we are in a universe that is constantly changing, and we live and embrace time which never stands still. Music is like that. It is in constant motion. I like to think about change, and keep accepting, though it is human nature to deny. We are always resisting change, though bored with constants; We always want to go but we never really want to stay; etc, when we lack that true procreativity in our lives, which is making due with change, and contants; for one thing is truely constant and that is the abundance of change. So what's this about turning round and accepting something new? We do it every day......

Gary

Oh, I never stay the same!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2007 9:19:33

Pimientito

What a great thread....the unified theory of everything applied to picado. We havent covered sex yet though which is a little disappointing but there is still time.
Ricardo, when you said you knew about string theory....i thought you were talking about the guitar!!!
I liked the elegant universe too but i never understood how string theory came into existance. The idea and knowledge of pure elements by observation leads the idea of discreet particles, atoms which leads to the idea of how they are constructed to be electronically stable to......little bits of stringy energy doing the tango, the cha cha cha and the funky chicken in 6 dimensions. Jury is still out for me!
By the way have you read shadows of the mind by roger penrose. This guy is the one who checks hawkings maths and probably the cleverest guy on the planet. He offers a mathematical model for human conciousness. I lost him half way in chapter 2

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 15 2007 11:47:19

Ricardo

RE: Are you resistant to change? (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

I liked the elegant universe too but i never understood how string theory came into existance.

Well, it was just an idea that popped into someone's head, and then a light bulb goes off in some smarter guy's head, who knows a guy that does math good, etc, and then you have a full blown theory. I think the main reason it is still around is it predicts particles that have not been discovered. This allows scientists a testable model to prove it wrong, which is very good. Though it is abstract and not completely testable, it is still interesting.

Penrose is hard stuff, and from what I hear a boring speaker. I will look for him on youtube!
Here ya go:

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 15 2007 18:36:10

JasonM

Sagan gives a great illustration in that video. I enjoyed that. But I always find the 2d space example misleading.

The two dimensional square in the drab 2 dimensional world sees the apple come down from three dimensional happy land. The square sees slices of the apple in his 2d world. But... correct me if I'm wrong... in a real two dimensional world the square would not see the apple at all. Not even the slices. That implies three dimensions. The square would not know that he was square unless he saw himself from above in a third dimension. Right? Whats that mean?

Anyway, I know its just a thought experiment in trying to visualize more or less dimensions. But to me, multiple, or even two dimensions only work well in math.

Talking about the geometry of space raises a good point too. For example, how the shortest distance between 2 points on the outside of a sphere like our earth, is not a straight line. Seems counter intuitive based on or everyday experiences and perspective, yet we know its true.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2007 4:10:43

ToddK

Whoa, i think i just strained a brain muscle.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2007 5:43:28

Ricardo

RE: Are you resistant to change? (in reply to JasonM

&uot&t
quote:

Talking about the geometry of space raises a good point too. For example, how the shortest distance between 2 points on the outside of a sphere like our earth, is not a straight line. Seems counter intuitive based on or everyday experiences and perspective, yet we know its true.

Well to put into intuitive terms, a tunnel through the ground is a way to make a straight line so cars and trains to don't waste time going across the bumpy curve of the earth. Sort of like the earth curve is 2D, but the tunnel cuts through the 3d space of the earthsphere...a short cut for sure.

About flatland, sure it is a problem, "penalty of projection", there are a lot of penalties. About the squares point of view, he knows he has 4 sides, triangle knows he has 3. But they don't understand the area, but they can guess, just like they have 2D houses and can go inside and explore the area. The apple would be weird sets of lines not "shapes" necessarily from the square's view point.

honestly for 3d folks, it is similar. We see actually in 2d and as the shape changes we understand with depth perception what is happening in 3d. Folks without depth perception have problems with our 3d world for this reason. Only by touch can we really "see" the 3D cube. Likewise this Tessarect is actually being shown on a 2D vid screen. Our depth perception creates the optical illusion that it was a 3d nested cube object.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2007 21:44:37

Estevan

RE: Are you resistant to change? (in reply to ToddK

quote:

Whoa, i think i just strained a brain muscle.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2007 23:11:09
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message