Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

LUTHIER - JOSE CASELLES - CASHIMIRA   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

SEANJO

LUTHIER - JOSE CASELLES - CASHIMIRA 

Musical greetings to everyone,
If you could help me I would appreciate it.
I bought, for €20.00, a guitar to restore from Luthier Jose Caselles.
I know that this luthier created the Cashimira Guitars brand.
I can get information about Cashimira guitars, but almost none about guitars with the Jose Caselles label.
Does the Jose Caselles brand precede the Cashimira brand?
Did the Jose Caselles brand exist in the same period of time as the Cashimira brand?
Is the Jose Caselles brand subsequent to the Cashimira brand?
As for the quality of guitars with the Jose Caselles brand, how do you rate them?

Thank you in advance for your attention

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2024 20:51:54

Ricardo

RE: LUTHIER - JOSE CASELLES - CASHIMIRA (in reply to SEANJO

I have seen the butterfly brown rosette on Vicente Sanchis guitars. They are factory made instruments made at low cost ie, you get what you pay for. If you want a real guitar you must pay 5K euros or more.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2024 12:09:09

SEANJO

RE: LUTHIER - JOSE CASELLES - CASHIMIRA (in reply to Ricardo

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your answer

From what I researched, the brand Joan Cashima (Jose Antonio Caselles Miralles - Jose Caselles' grandfather) which belongs to Jose Caselles, has a good reputation in Spain, and some models easily cost €1500.00 second-hand.
So they must not be low class guitars.
The Jose Caselles brand, which also belonged to the luthier Jose Caselles, from what I read is a brand that did not advertise and lived off word of mouth. I want to believe that it must have the same quality as Cashimira guitars.

The construction seems to be very solid.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2024 13:32:32

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SEANJO

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your answer

From what I researched, the brand Joan Cashima (Jose Antonio Caselles Miralles - Jose Caselles' grandfather) which belongs to Jose Caselles, has a good reputation in Spain, and some models easily cost €1500.00 second-hand.
So they must not be low class guitars.
The Jose Caselles brand, which also belonged to the luthier Jose Caselles, from what I read is a brand that did not advertise and lived off word of mouth. I want to believe that it must have the same quality as Cashimira guitars.

The construction seems to be very solid.

Amigo, it is not financially possible to construct a single guitar by hand for less than about $3000. That is cost of materials and minimal labor/time. I have never seen it in my entire life. The way the factory gets away with this is by bulk machined parts, huge amounts of materials, and selling thousands of instruments per year, and finally after some time the profit margin shows the gains. A “factory guitar” at about $2700 like Sanchis lopez is MOSTLY made by hand, but they are still operating with bulk materials and output by comparison. Guitars can go for less than $1000 but there is a possibility that it is made in Asia, not even in Spain factory. If you paid 20 euros I suspect your instrument was constructed by cannibalistic natives on an island in the pacific somewhere, at slave labor costs.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2024 14:31:00

Manitas de Lata

something that wasnt discussed , back in the day it was usual to some companies and music stores only sell economic models , like you can find many brands and eco models at wallmart , like Wrangler jeans or even guitars..
everyone can open a factory or ask to them to make guitars for you.
Till today , for example the cheapest and nicer flamenco guitar in the world is sold by Thomman (germany ) but build in my country...and i know where.

So i can open or outsource a guitar and call a very flamenco or spanish name like "Antonio Marquez"

Back to the past , actually theres a lot of cheap guitars because they were made tons of them , a lot lot lot more of cheap guitars (really cheap) than good quality.
Most doesnt have solid top but some have solid backs , normally Caoba/mahogany , almost 90% or more (i guess) of those cheap guitars have mahogany back/sides and neck also.

Jose Caselles can be an umbrella brand for someone back in the day , not sure whom , why do you think that its a umbrella brand for Joan Cashimira (by the name must be Catalan...) , because caselles also have the same local "Gata de Gorgos" ?
Well if so , it can be , but the really owner that outsourced to Joan (if so) can be anybody....

Joan have nice guitars and more expensive , but still cheap for price range than flamenco can achieve, say like 1000k or more not a lot more.
But theres many many 2nd made by him that are cheap or studio, normally mahogany painted in red wine colour
So i think Joan doesnt have the need to make other brand for himself because he allways sold cheap guitar.... , thats why maybe he could make for someone still cheap guitar.

Other issue , some put their sticker when made some repair or major repairs , and put some "Repaired by...... , " or "maintaince made by" in spanish would be like "revisionada " or "reparada "

About the rosetes , the most vicente that i saw had some triangle rosete like shark tooth , but after some research found others

Do you have more pictures of the guitar ? just for the Label and back.. its more than enough , but i would guess its a low budget guitar back then and now , and normally the necks arent straight , so the action is high , sometimes you can put it low its easy and cheap , sometimes its so wrong thats not possible
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2024 17:03:41

SEANJO

RE: LUTHIER - JOSE CASELLES - CASHIMIRA (in reply to Manitas de Lata

Amigo,
Many thanks for the reply.
In my initial post I did not explain in detail the acquisition of the guitar.
The guitar suffered "some" damage to its structure, which must be carefully repaired, otherwise the guitar could have defects that make it very difficult to play.
The guitar is broken between the heel and the neck, and on the inside of the guitar (the area adjacent to the heel) the wooden support block is also broken.
It is a sensitive area as it is necessary to adjust the distance between the strings and the neck, as at this moment the support that supports the pressure of the strings is broken, and inevitably this correction has to be done well.
It is because of this damage to the guitar that the price was €20.00.
I've had an Admira Juanita for twenty years, and I decided to have more guitars at home. As I like recovering old furniture, I decided to try to recover old guitars that were damaged.
I believe that everyone in life deserves a second chance. So for these guitars I'm trying to give them a second chance.
So, at the moment I am restoring two Alhambras, one from 1973 and the other from around the year 2000. I also have a Vicente Tatay that must be from the 60s, which just needs to be shellaced.
There are three rules for purchasing a guitar:
a) Old
b) Broken
c) Cost less than €30.00 (at the moment this is what I can spend until I learn how to restore guitars)

I have already recovered one and have already offered it.
A 1973 Admira will be for my daughter.

As I live in Portugal, I'm buying second-hand guitars in Spain, online, and to the cost price I add another 6 euros for shipping.

A 5K guitar? Just imagining having one brings a smile to my face. These guitars are pure works of art.
Right now it's a dream. Possibly one day I will be able to find someone who can recover it and have it for myself.

I include some photographs of the guitar here.

Once again, thank you very much for the answer

Saludos

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2024 22:54:17

Manitas de Lata

i like to see those projects, great to get more serious and make pro repairs , who knows start making one some day..
you skip the photos that i sugest.

Where are you located at Portugal?

Ps : i mistaken Joan Cash for Juan Estruch , altough not too much diference...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2024 23:12:10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post