Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: A prodigy or not a prodigy   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

hamia

RE: A prodigy or not a prodigy (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

Back to flamenco on the foro. Here's a recently uploaded video of human consciousness in action.

About “consciousness” vs conscious decision making in the moment…perhaps you have heard singers that can imitate other singers to a T such that you can’t tell the difference? They dress and act and put on a show, much like a cover band but the unique aspect is the singer’s voice. There is such a guy named Brody Dolyniuk (check his videos), and he has a vocal technique where he can change his voice like a ventriloquist and imitate almost any singer. The thing is the actual technique itself to make a certain sound is totally involuntary…meaning no conscious effort to position the layrynx, move the tongue to correct position, control breathing etc. The conscious part is simply visualizing the “sound” then the brain accesses the memory of the sound and involuntarily forces all the physical things to align such that the sound goes out. Cante gitano like that, by these people that learned this as children, is the same thing. Mostly unconscious. Only the decision of the actual sequence of delivery of those learned sounds and letras are “conscious” actions. Prodigy.

Sound is physics...so it will depend on shape of mouth. This guy obviously has the right shape of mouth to imitate others...but not everyone can do this.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2024 9:09:56

Ricardo

RE: A prodigy or not a prodigy (in reply to metalhead

Here is another take on it:

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2024 18:08:14

metalhead

Don't you think deliberate practice be a consequence of genuine passion rather than a separate variable to become an expert? I think somebody who isn't genuinely passionate about something, will likely find it very hard to be doing focused practice. They can for sometime, however they'll get burnout quickly due to a lack of interest and a lot of effort ..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2024 20:34:40

devilhand

quote:

I think somebody who isn't genuinely passionate about something, will likely find it very hard to be doing focused practice. They can for sometime, however they'll get burnout quickly due to a lack of interest and a lot of effort ..

One has to be obsessed. About obsession at 3:20-4:07.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2024 21:37:12

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: metalhead

Don't you think deliberate practice be a consequence of genuine passion rather than a separate variable to become an expert? I think somebody who isn't genuinely passionate about something, will likely find it very hard to be doing focused practice. They can for sometime, however they'll get burnout quickly due to a lack of interest and a lot of effort ..

Some kids are forced to sit with their instrument or whatever at a young age by parents that insist. Sure, many end up having resentments, but in PDL case, for example, overtime he came to look at the early forced training as beneficial AFTER he started enjoying the results. And also, anybody can “burn out” at anytime, nothing to do with deliberate practice. One of the greatest musicicians I had ever met got depressed when he didn’t get to move in the trajectory he wanted in life with music, and he really gave up. It was frustrating to watch.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2024 15:38:29

metalhead

i figure this was going to be your reply lol. There's a movie, whilplash, not sure if you've seen it. But it really helped me form a new perspective on virtuosic musicians. The basic premise I got was most of these guys do this kind of forced practice under the guidance of a very strict teacher, often times with 0 passion but like a robot. At some point they burnout. However, this burnout also gives them a sense of freedom and THIS is actually the stage where the best art is made by them, not the one where they were practicing like a robot under the teacher; HOWEVER, if not for that kind of forced practice, they would not have gotten that sense of freedom and therefore, not the expertise
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2024 16:05:19

metalhead

the other side effect of this very same thing is however, for some, this burnout can be so bad that they give up on music altogether, and i figure your friend might have experienced something like this. There's probably a good few of these guys right now who used to be really good when they were young however they gave up. We kinda get to see only one side. So you either create the most virtuosic of all or nothing; there's no in between...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2024 16:09:53
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post