Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados part 2   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

metalhead

Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados part 2 

Hey everybody, about 2 months ago I'd made a similar thread asking for opinions on doing rasgueados backwards like Ben did

This one is gonna be diff as I'll be the one giving opinion. So here's the thing: doing rasgueados backwards is horribly wrong! So the reason I'd made that earlier post was because I was doing them backwards prior to making that post and I wanted to know what other flamenco guitarists felt about it; and I'm glad I made the post

2 guys mainly: Ricardo from here and another guy named David Chirriboga on YT gave extensive answers on why doing them backwards is not ideal. When i read them, I got mildly scared. This nervousness made me switch to practicing them the traditional way one night about 2 months ago from now. And I'm super glad I did. I drilled and practiced them the tradtional way aggressively these 2 months and I can say that they are sounding very decent currently, and I can use them in real world phrases at good tempos

So learning them the traditional way after practicing them backwards made me realize how wrong it actually was! There's so many sequences I could never do if I continued doing them backwards. And the speed, the traditional rasgueados are hard to get started but once you get used to them, they flow insanely good which is what gives the speed. This is not possible with doing them backwards as they simply don't have that spontaneous flow. I know because I did them backwards

If you're a newbie who lands on this page from google looking for opinions on doing them backwards, please do not attempt it! Learn them the traditional way, there's no replacement for them
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2024 20:30:07

Stu

RE: Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados... (in reply to metalhead

Wait what?? Backwards rasgueado???

Well seems you have come to the right choice eventually but i didn't even know backwards was a thing. I mean how would that work? I,m,a,? Down? Or you mean backwards like upstrokes?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2024 22:16:43

orsonw

RE: Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados... (in reply to Stu

quote:

Wait what?? Backwards rasgueado???

See his previous thread on the same topic.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=350215&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&tmode=&smode=&s=#350215
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2024 7:56:47

Stu

RE: Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados... (in reply to orsonw

Ah thanks Orson. I missed that originally.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2024 9:51:51

Ricardo

Metalhead is exemplary of why Mr. Miyagi was wrong. He said to Daniel “no such thing as bad student, only bad teacher”. But it is exactly the opposite. Good learning occurs when the STUDENT is good at extracting info and applying it correctly. Even the worst teachers have something to offer a good student. But the best teachers in the world won’t get through to someone that has their mind made up already, and is unreceptive. Hats off, and I hope other students take note.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2024 14:47:22

metalhead

RE: Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados... (in reply to Ricardo

thanks Ricardo! Initially when I started practicing them, I felt very frustrated on trying to learn them, but as the days went by and my rasgueados improved I saw myself thanking for listening to u
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2024 17:07:50

orsonw

RE: Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

But the best teachers in the world won’t get through to someone that has their mind made up already, and is unreceptive. Hats off, and I hope other students take note.

Hats off to you Ricardo. I see the patience you have on this foro.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2024 18:56:52

orsonw

RE: Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados... (in reply to orsonw

I'll take the opportunity to remind others that Ricardo is a professional teacher, as well as a professional artist.

He has a tip jar if you value what he generously gives for free here. You could even book a lesson. Just click the website link at the footer of his posts.

https://www.ricardomarlow.com/

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2024 19:03:30

metalhead

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 13 2024 10:14:27
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2024 10:06:01

Norman Paul Kliman

Brook Zern assured me that some guitarists played reverse rasgueado, but I didn’t give it much thought. A few years ago, I noticed Lenny Breau doing it in this video. Should be cued to 4:30:

Skip ahead to 5:15 to see him play flamenco-infused jazz.

I don’t care for the thumbpick, but I’ve seen him play solid traditional flamenco (in this video or another, por taranta as I recall). Sounds to me like he learned from someone who was into Sabicas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2024 10:15:38

devilhand

RE: Thoughts on Ben Woods rasgueados... (in reply to Norman Paul Kliman

At 4:10-4:30 I can relate. I also want to apply flamenco guitar techniques to my own music.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2024 22:16:39
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote