Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Need cante recs   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

metalhead

Need cante recs 

hey everyone I've been listening to a lot of cante lately and there's a lot of good stuff I'm coming across as well as a lot of ear-bleeding stuff. The kind of stuff I love:

(a not so famous cantor however I loved him)

And the kind of cante i absolutely hate listening to:

There's lots and lots of cante that I listen to unfortunately fall in the 2nd category. Now i know, there's a huge chunk of guys that love listening to the 2nd category, but I'm not a big fan of it. There's too much screaming without any mellowness whatsoever, kind of like death metal vs heavy metal, you see? Lol

So the avid cante listeners here, I think you might have a slight idea of what I like: I always like a bit of mellowness in the singing with groove. I've been listening to Rosa Maria on repeat since a few days since it's exactly that.

You can save me some work by recommending me what singers to look out for I guess? Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2023 18:06:17

Ricardo

RE: Need cante recs (in reply to metalhead

If you haven’t seen, watch the first Flamenco movie by Carlos Saura (1995). That gets a good sampling. From there, dive into rito y Geografia. It is a way to get more info on what you do like and don’t, and perhaps gain an appreciation for styles that you might have been on the fence about. One of my favorite old singers these days is Pena Hijo, he has some nice recordings with Sabicas and others. Definitely NOT a screamer. Also an all time favorite album is Maria Vargas with Paco De Lucia. Since you like Camaron, there is Potito and Duquende both with Tomatito, copying the style.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2023 20:56:15

Richard Liam

RE: Need cante recs (in reply to metalhead

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2024 12:58:52
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages