Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Uneven string spacing tie block holes   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: Uneven string spacing tie block ... (in reply to silddx

quote:

ORIGINAL: silddx

Thank you very much, Rob.

And just to reaffirm, I love the guitars.

I have only been learning Flamenco seriously for about 18 months so I am a proper rookie, asking what are clearly rookie questions.

This conversation will get more fuzzy.

Do me a solid and measure your string spacing with a 150 mm steel ruler. If you don’t have one, please buy one, they should cost under $7.00 USD at any hardware dept.

Take the ruler and measure the distance between holes on the back of the tie block. Next time you change strings, try to measure the distance of the holes in front of the tie block. By carefully comparing back and front you, with your good eye for detail, should detect a hole drilled askew, it exits the tie block In a different place than it goes in.

To me from the photo it looks accurate.

Next measure the overall distance between the bass E hole and treble E hole - measure center to center. The distance will likely be 58 to 60 mm.

Measure all the holes next to each other center to center. Are they all the same? Use a magnifying glass or jewelers magnifying visor and enlarge your vision so these holes are huge and the ruler tick marks are huge in your vision.,

This is how guitar makers analyze tie block holes - if there’s no big discrepancy between any of these measurements, your tie block holes are well within professional compliance for players and makers.

If you require more accuracy than this, it’s possible to have someone good redrill the holes after filling the offending hole with a rosewood tooth pick that any skilled pro repair person can make.

This is a stupid thing to argue about because the tolerances can be measured, then you decide if you actually need tighter tolerances, you in fact might.

What you’ll find, probably, is that your curiosity will be satisfied after you get down on it and measure this tie block with a good ruler and a magnifying device.

Stop bickering about this, it’s a non issue. As Groucho Marx would say:

“Who are you going to believe? Me, or your own eyes?”

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 1:19:54

estebanana

RE: Uneven string spacing tie block ... (in reply to estebanana

The words that more than any other make a guitar repair person do a face palm 🤦‍♀️ and say to themselves, “oh fhck, what’s he going to say next?”

Those words are: I’ve been playing the guitar for 40 years.

That’s like telling car mechanic that you’ve held a drivers license for forty years. It telegraphs that you’re not listening to their explanation.

😂
This isn’t difficult, just get a ruler. Because of the different diameters of strings, you may need more accurate spacing, I’m listening, but upon further inspection on a magnified level you may satisfy yourself that all is well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 1:36:28

silddx

quote:

That’s like telling car mechanic that you’ve held a drivers license for forty years. It telegraphs that you’re not listening to their explanation.

Fair point.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 6:56:27

estebanana

Do you have a 150 mm metal rule? It’s the gold standard of guitar makers pocket rules. It’s possible to make several vital measurements with that little gem.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 7:29:51

silddx

I have metal rulers. I will measure when I change strings.

I need to reiterate that I love the guitars and I can discern no playability issues with the string spacing. I was simply asking if it's normal and if there are any concerns.

The Ariza is a gorgeous instrument and was played for decades by a professional, RobJe of this parish from whom I bought it. So clearly the string spacing was never an issue. It sounds wonderful and the action is really low and buzz-free. It's incredibly nice to play and I feel honoured that it is in my possession.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 9:02:15

estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: silddx

I have metal rulers. I will measure when I change strings.

I need to reiterate that I love the guitars and I can discern no playability issues with the string spacing. I was simply asking if it's normal and if there are any concerns.

The Ariza is a gorgeous instrument and was played for decades by a professional, RobJe of this parish from whom I bought it. So clearly the string spacing was never an issue. It sounds wonderful and the action is really low and buzz-free. It's incredibly nice to play and I feel honoured that it is in my possession.

As a person authorized to have my own opinion and is fully licensed by the Dept of Opinion Havers, I can say with certainty that there’s no concern with your tie blocks.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 9:06:58

silddx

Thanks, Stephen.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 9:22:59

estebanana

de nada mate

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2023 13:22:59
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]