Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Shakti 50th Anniversary Tour - Tiny Desk Concert   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Estevan

Shakti 50th Anniversary Tour - Tiny ... 

Shabash!

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2022 17:14:02

kitarist

RE: Shakti 50th Anniversary Album an... (in reply to Estevan

Thanks, now I finally know for sure how to pronounce "McLaughlin" correctly - from the man himself!

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2022 17:28:47

Ricardo

One of the best concerts I have ever seen. Here in DC in 2004, I had a great seat next to the sound engineer, packed with like 95% Indian people. Women were all dressed up gorgeous like it was a Royal event. The rhythm boss was selva with his lizard tambourine that sounded like Panteras double kick drums. Got to meet John and shake his hand after the show. Definitely going to see this one!!!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2022 12:09:22

JasonM

Great news! Definitely have to see this. Weird having a Shakti and Guitar trio album coming out in 2022
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2022 16:27:50

Fluknu

They'coming to Montreux. John comes every year I think, even when he doesn't play. He's a very accessible and nice guy. I talked with him a few years ago when I met him by the lake.
I'll probably go, but I choosed to se Plant and Krauss, and Nick cave. And now I'm broke :(
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2022 9:04:19

[Deleted] (in reply to Estevan

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2022 6:56:11

Estevan

RE: Shakti 50th Anniversary Album an... (in reply to Ricardo

Update - haven't seen anything about next year's tour yet, but recording under way chez Johnji in Monaco:

https://twitter.com/jmcl_gtr/status/1584185174073278464

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2022 20:31:36

Ricardo

Tour dates just came out. August 23 Wolftrap around these parts.

Nice to hear violin in the mix again. Mclaughlin shredding as fast as ever on the first tune in 11, with a much edgier tone than years ago when he revived the group with a jazz guitar. It will be even better than 50 years of metal with Priest I just saw this year.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2023 11:39:30

Ricardo

RE: Shakti 50th Anniversary Album an... (in reply to JasonM

Here is the original band member Vikku jamming on this old tune in 11 (8+3). He is the guy on the far right’s dad.

The way I keep track is I think of a single compas of tangos, then a bar of 3/4 for nothing.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 14:19:25

Ricardo

I purchased the new Shakti Record on vinyl and was going to give a review weeks ago, but I realize the new tracks they sent me for download were also not yet available on typical streaming formats yet. In any case it is a really nice package with some new music and some old throwbacks. For example “Bending the Rules” has new themes composed by singer, but Mclaughlin sneaks in some Florianopolis licks and the drums do the vocal intro for Danse de Bonhure. The violin has a great solo here similar in style to the original shakti member L. Shankar. The best piece for me was Koruna by Mclaughlin in 7. Beautiful melody. Mclaughlin also has composed a piece in 3 with flamenco style palmas that sounds similar to Buleria de Cadiz or something….but honestly it is one of the weaker tunes. I followed an extensive interview where they were asked directly about the old violinist L Shankar who had dropped out of circulation when Remember Shakti formed in the early 2000, and later wanted back into the group but they had to tell him no, since they had replaced him with Srinivas (mandolin). So the question was after he passed away, why did they not bring L. Shankar back in….and worse, why do they now have a violinist? I am still confused about this, however, I looked up L. Shankar and he seems very eccentric or perhaps he is transitioning genders??? He wears these ridiculous wigs on stage….but still seems quite active playing with Vikku in his own group projects, and could totally function in this Shakti tour. But perhaps they simply don’t want to deal with the wig???

https://youtu.be/CL_PeLSi2Ts

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2023 16:54:33

Mark2

I saw them at the Great American Music Hall in SF. Pretty sure it was in 1976. It's a pretty small club. It was an amazing concert.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

One of the best concerts I have ever seen. Here in DC in 2004, I had a great seat next to the sound engineer, packed with like 95% Indian people. Women were all dressed up gorgeous like it was a Royal event. The rhythm boss was selva with his lizard tambourine that sounded like Panteras double kick drums. Got to meet John and shake his hand after the show. Definitely going to see this one!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2023 16:53:34

Ricardo

Amazing show last night! The main difference from the other shakti shows was much shorter arrangements and improvisations (so they could do more songs, including 3 from the new album), and the new PRS Mclaughlin had some rippin distortion the whole night…more like mahavishnu Orchestra meets tabla, etc. Even my wife loved the show, and I am usually accused of torturing her ears with stuff. The singer had a lot of duende too. Zakir pronounced John’s last name “Mack Lock-lynn”, as many do, different than John himself LOL.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2023 11:43:38

Estevan

Nice photos - thanks Ricardo, I'd been looking forward to your comments about the show.

Unfortunately the organizers of Shakti's tour on this side of the world overlooked the fact that there is more than one country in "North America", so we won't be seeing them up here.

However... as a consolation that may be of interest to other dwellers in remote unknown areas of inaccessible darkness, there will be a livestream of the upcoming Nashville gig (with guest John Scofield) this Thursday August 31st. at 7:30pm Central time.

You need to sign up and give them some money (U$20). [Edit: plus "Administration fee" $5]

You can find the link at: fans.live

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 29 2023 22:28:45

Estevan

RE: Shakti 50th Anniversary Tiny Des... (in reply to Estevan

This is very nice: Shakti Tiny Desk Concert
https://www.npr.org/2023/10/30/1208837412/shakti-tiny-desk-concert

SET LIST

"Shrini's Dream"
"Lotus Feet"
"Bending the Rules"

MUSICIANS

John McLaughlin: guitar
Zakir Hussain: tabla
Selvaganesh Vinayakaram: kanjira, ghatam
Shankar Mahadevan: vocals
Ganesh Rajagopalan: violin

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2023 17:27:33

silddx

RE: Shakti 50th Anniversary Tiny Des... (in reply to Estevan

Thanks for this! Friend of mine went to one of the 2023 shows, said it was wonderful!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2023 20:58:17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post