Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Volume!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

bahen

Volume! 

Hi all,

If I'm interested in volume, which luthier would you guys suggest? I just played a Jeff Sigurdson today, and though the craftsmanship is superb, I wasn't getting much volume from it. Currently, I have a $800 student model of the Lucida brand and it is far louder than the Sigurdson. Don't get me wrong, it was a magnificent guitar, but volume!?

I understand that when we introduce the microphone, surround sound, and high tech electronics, the volume of the guitar per se isn't valued as much, but for those of who don't intend on performing or utilising the extras, volume per se is important!

So, looking for a loud flamenco. Any opinions?

-bahen

PS, the Sigurdson was also heavier than my student Lucida - this contributes to the volume, presumably?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 4:04:56

itoprover

RE: Volume! (in reply to bahen

Hmm, I think Jeff's guitars usually don't lack volume.. Like for example my Sigurdson is VERY LOUD even with med. tension strings..
Here is another opinion : http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=8867&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=blangra&tmode=&smode=&s=#11121
As for the weight: I can't compare to Lucida but it is somewhat similar to handmade blancas that I've tried before. And of course it is much lighter than my maple classical.
Could you please give more info on the Sigurdson guitar that you tried: blanca/negra, year, flamenco/classical, scale, wood?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 6:51:53

I´ve just sold a very loud blanca peghead.

Why all this volume. Are you playing for dance classes etc.?

I personally prefer balance, attack and tone quality over volume. I mean some classical guitars can have very powerfull volume, but can be useless as flamenco guitars

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 7:29:32

bahen

The Sigurdson was a blanca, and it was a spruce top. As you can tell, I'm not an expert ;)

Why volume? I'm not sure, but it is, I think, a natural affinity I have for loudness.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 11:53:33

itoprover

If you are anywhere near Ottawa, ON I would also recommend to check out Murray Morgan's flamenco guitars - they are also very loud and have a beautiful tone. Or find another Sigurdson - as I said, they are usually very loud - I think this is actually the first thing that surprizes people who have never heard Jeff's guitars before.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 15:52:08

bahen

I'm in Toronto, so it's not out of the question. What's the price range for a Murry Morgan?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 2:07:36

itoprover

I am in Ottawa, Murray is currently building a negra for me (due in April). So if you are planning to go to Ottawa after April I can show you my Morgan's negra and Sigurdson blangra. Murray's prices depend on wood and specs but base price is around 2K Canadian.
BTW, where in Toronto did you try that Sigurdson?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 2:57:35

itoprover

Here you can see some photos of Murray's instruments: http://www.ugcarray.com/james-cohen/guitars.php#
His email is also there at the bottom of the page if you want to contact him.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 3:08:55

bahen

RE: Volume! (in reply to itoprover

Ilia - the Sigurdson was my new teacher's. He's very happy with it. Thanks for the pics and everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 6:47:15

itoprover

Oh, OK - for some reason I thought you saw it in store. Have you ever been in this store in Toronto: http://www.12fret.com ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 17:15:52

bahen

No, but I have to head down there soon since I need to install a golpeador. They carry Sigurdsons? I'm going to be in the market for a new flamenco very soon - I want to try a bunch of guitars out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 20:55:50

itoprover

I don't see Sigurdson guitars on their website, but they have other interesting guitars for sale there like for example this '87 Laskin : http://www.12fret.com/used/laskinFlamenco1987ken.jpg

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2006 0:35:23

bahen

i went and tried 12th fret's Laskin last week and it sounded dinky. nothing special, especially for their price tag. they had 1 ramirez there that sounded incredible, though i've forgotten which particular guitar it was. it wasn't their 1970s 1a - that didn't sound worth the price tag either.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2006 5:18:52

Grimsby380

Hi I’m looking for a link to Murray Morgan flamenco guitars in Ottawa would you have a contact for him. Thanks James
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2021 22:24:41

etta

Volume, power, responsiveness, projection; Glenn Canin; I have several of his guitars and they are monsters. But, Glenn is focusing almost entirely on Classical Guitars now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2021 17:17:16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post