Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Talent and Potential   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ToddK

Talent and Potential 

This is great stuff. Found it at the classical forum.
Figured you all might like to read it.

What About Talent??

I have a particular distaste for the idea of talent. Students should never focus on how talented they are or aren’t. Please don’t misunderstand—I’m not saying talent doesn’t exist. What I’m saying is that, for anyone learning to play the guitar, talent (or its absence) isn’t a productive focus.

For those who believe they lack talent, it can become an excuse for accepting mediocrity. For those who believe they have talent, it can become an excuse to cut corners. Talented students often find themselves outstripping their less talented peers. This can lull them into believing they don’t need to work as carefully or intelligently as other players. Talented students who succumb to this error seldom become great players. Having failed to cultivate an honest and uncompromising sense of craftsmanship, they eventually reach a point beyond which they can’t progress.

Talent is something we can judge only in retrospect. So students who dwell on how much talent they have are putting the cart before the horse. It’s as though they’re deciding how far they’ll get before they’ve even started. Instead, why not aim high and see how far you get?

We tend to see great players as an alchemic miracle, and often overlook more prosaic reasons why they’re better than the rest of us:

they practice more
they practice consistently
they practice smarter
they refuse to settle for mediocrity
In fact, what many call talent is often in large part the capacity for taking infinite pains. I remember hearing a guitarist extolling how talented Manuel Barrueco is. When it was suggested that someone who practiced exactly as Barrueco does could become as good a player, this guitarist dismissed the idea out of hand. Barrueco is talented—that’s why he’s a virtuoso.

But consider for a moment what it means to practice exactly as Barrueco does. You wouldn’t accept sloppiness in your playing. Buzzing a note or snapping a string would be unthinkable. I’ve seen Barrueco in a master class almost wince when a student makes an ugly sound on the guitar. Such sounds have a nails-on-chalkboard effect on him. If this were your attitude it would drive you, as it does Barrueco, to eliminate these sounds from your playing. Consider also that you would be disciplined in your practice. Your attention would be fully engaged on the problem at hand. Mindless finger wiggling while staring out the window at the squirrels would have no place in your practice time. (It’s surprising how many concert artists neglect to practice intelligently: one well-known guitarist claimed to have practiced scales while watching the Johnny Carson Show.) You would also consistently put in the necessary practice time. Be honest, how many of us really do that? Perhaps most importantly, you would be passionate not only about music, but also about the process of learning to play it. Practice wouldn’t be a tedious chore tolerated only for the end result of making music. Rather, it would be an infinitely variable exploration of the entire music making process. Practice itself would have an intrinsic value, and you would have a deeper understanding denied to those lacking your passion and resolve.

I recall someone who likened such attributes to madness. But if you think about it, it’s a perfectly sensible way to approach music. Imagine a virtuoso looking at mediocre players who year after year display the same fundamental flaws. The virtuoso must wonder why these players continue to wallow in mediocrity rather than buckle down and resolve their flaws once and for all.

What concerns me most, however, is that the idea of talent often short-circuits any further discussion of how great playing is achieved. For example, consider the following statement: “Manuel Barrueco is a virtuoso because he’s talented.” What does this tell us? Nothing. Indeed, it has the ring of a tautology. Further, it suggests that great playing is a mystery—one we shouldn’t try to understand. It also suggests the potential for great playing is something you either have or you don’t. This is a hopeless and unproductive way of looking at guitar playing.

A more positive approach is to define what talent actually is. Can we systematically identify factors that, when brought together, define talent? I believe so. I don’t underestimate the difficulty of doing so, nor do I believe we can pinpoint every element of talent. But there’s much we can understand, and we should approach great playing with a clear-eyed passion to discover its inner workings.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2006 23:23:15

Ricardo

RE: Talent and Potential (in reply to ToddK

Yeah I agree with most of that stuff. There are plenty of talented individuals who gave up along the way for whatever reason. Not sure if there are any not so talented individuals who are considered "great" players, just because they worked hard or smart or whatever. I think most of us are born with ability to do certain things, and truely talented people can do many things well, not just one thing. Sports, music, math, etc. The important thing to be a musician is to have drive to do better, or inspiration, and understanding of rhythm.

As far as Barrueco, I also "winced" when I heard his duet with Al dimeola on Nylon and Steel, where he was trying to play Paco's part. Very stiff. At least in an interview he admitted the timing was very hard for him. And he is one of the few who attempted to play Chacone at a steady tempo, so at least he is aware of rhythm and what it means. To me, THAT is the main reason he is a "virtuosso", but for me there are better players out there. Talented or not, if you work with a metronome properly, you will get better at playing music IMO.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 0:45:32

ToddK

quote:

Talented or not, if you work with a metronome properly, you will get better at playing music IMO.

Im with ya there.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 0:47:13

Miguel de Maria

Ha! Todd, I read this not two minutes ago. It was the first time in probably a month that I visited the old fuddy-duddies at E-borneo.

What's not to like about this article? For what it's worth, I think it's very useful.

Anyway, I think Barrueco's the best CGer.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 0:48:37

ToddK

I dont really expect Manuel to be able to do that
kinda stuff convincingly, just cause he spent so
much time on classical.
That album is just not his world.

But ive heard a few things by him, where the utter control
he exhibits makes the hair stand up on end.
Super SUPER Tight.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 1:47:28

duende

I think a lot of people get the idea that technical talent is the same as musical talent.

i know plenty of "advanced" guitar students that have made their classical etudes or their "steve vai 12hrs workouts" but still all they got was the ability to move fingers NOT play music.
(this next line is something Ricardo will like)
Most of them seem to fall because of bad rythm. no timeing so GET A METRONOME.
In one extreme case there was a guy that couldn´t even play eightnotes along to a high-hat. but boy could he move his fingers.

somehow i think it would be better to focuse on rythm first and chops later.
i belive it´s harder to go the other way. rythm seem to take so much longer to develop

Henrik

ps where is Florian?

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 5:35:41

gerundino63

Talent is the willing to study something over a very long period.

That is what I think of it.

Peter

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 8:03:55

Ron.M

RE: Talent and Potential (in reply to duende

quote:

ps where is Florian?

He emailed me a week or so ago Henrik.
He's pretty busy learning new material and rehearsing for a big festival being held in his city.
Also he's got some sort of computer bug that doesn't allow him to post on "Java" forms and the only way he can resolve it is by re-loading Windows again from scratch and he just doesn't have the time at the moment.

He said "I can still read all the stuff and there are lots of things I want to reply to...THIS IS KILLING ME.. "

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 8:39:23

ToddK

i hope he's not doing a "dirty install" wich would be
installing Windows over top of itself.

He should reformat his hard drives!!!

Its the longer way home, but its much more thorough.
No bugs can ever survive a reformat.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 8:59:30

Doitsujin

When you have talent and practise much you can get better than most of the others.
When you have no or normal talent and practice much you can get near to the abilities of the talented person, but you will never be able to reach him with practice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 9:21:06

duende

i reformat every 6-7 months or so.. it feel realy refreshing!! like you been eating right and exerciseing and lost some weight or something

I once re-installed XP over my other XP and that basically sucks ***

Henrik

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 9:21:11

XXX

RE: Talent and Potential (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
Talented or not, if you work with a metronome properly, you will get better at playing music IMO.

Sound like a good signature (:

And makes hope

Ps: There is also the possibility to install WinXP twice. If one crashes, you can use the other to do backups or to repair the broken one etc...

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 10:36:12

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ToddK
i hope he's not doing a "dirty install" wich would be
installing Windows over top of itself.

Knowing Florian, I would imagine he's doing plenty of dirty installing that has nothing to do with computers...

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 11:35:41

edgar884

when I whent to my first master class I found very soon that I was behind every one.

I had to play 10 hours a day just to keep up with the thumb stuff. I found that I could play the falsetas and learn the material very fast but I couldn't play it right. I really at one point was so frustrated I wondered what I was doing there. Then I realized that I had an advantage, I have the patience to practice for hours on new material. I found myself doing very well at the end of the week and felt pretty good about the whole thing.

So talent, I don't know I've always hated that word. To me talent means you work hard at what you do. Sometimes your upbringing can give you the ability to do what ever you want.

You know what it is, parents that talk to there children and encourage them to do artistic things have talented children. So talent simply means that you have a natural ability to do something well.

On the other hand it could be the blood runing through your veins.
I think that those that have talent should practice more and use the gift that they recieved from the universe and share it with others. After all I think most artists are a little afraid of death. Music and art makes us immortal in a way, because we are leaving behind a piece of our self. Many people don't understand what it is to live in the now.

It's a blessing to be able to play music and enjoy the music as it comes out, you forget who you are, your troubles and what time it is, nothing matters when your in the zone.
Just your guitar and the music.

So if your not talented(gifted)you may have to work harder than the talented guy, but in the end who cares theres always someone better than you, it's the hard work and the journey that makes it all worth it.

I don't want to be famous and I don't play guitar for everyone else, I do it because it is a challenge and I keeps me from going crazy.

Most of my talented students have never gone anywhere, these are the students that give it up or just don't care. I believe that the people who stick with it don't have talent, they just want it more than the guy with talent.

Those of you who are good on the guitar are good because of practice not talent. People who say your talented don't know what there talking about or they simply don't understand what it is to work hard at something. wow thats my 2 cents on that sorry about that.

May we find God through Flamenco instead of Angels and Demons

www.gabrieledgar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 18:24:17

XXX

Well some guys just get it faster than others. If you have it be happy. If not its useless to think about it. Youll have to work on guitar as everyone else has to...

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 18:35:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote