Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Former Foro Members Who are Missed   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

Former Foro Members Who are Missed 

Today we had a query about Anders Elliason from a member who hasn't posted in a long time.

That got me thinking about some former members who have dropped off the radar but when they posted regularly, really added thoughtful ideas and opinions about flamenco, Spain, and various off-topic subjects. Two, especially, come to mind.

One was an attorney who posted under the name gj michelob (his name was Giacomo), who divided his time between New York and San Francisco. He was the resident attorney when any question about copyright infringement and other issues of that nature came up. He also had good ideas concerning flamenco and various other issues that arose. One of the most interesting members of the Foro. He added a lot to the discussions.

The other was Kate, who lived with her husband in Granada. Her husband was involved in managing to put together some flamenco performances. Kate always had interesting observations on flamenco, Andalusia, and Spain in general. Like gj michelob, Kate added a lot to the Foro. As I recall, Kate had a university degree in Spanish history.

Neither has posted in years, but I always appreciated their comments and observations.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2020 19:11:36

JasonM

RE: Former Foro Members Who are Missed (in reply to BarkellWH

I think I remembered gj saying he couldn’t play anymore do to injury or something, not positive on that.

I miss Fred Sanford. Didn’t know much about him other than his occupation which he stated was a Junkyard Administor
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2020 20:24:04

johnnefastis

Obviously Kevin Richards who sadly died recently, he was a friend, so I will personally miss him but I always thought he was a voice of calm reason here.

Lenador hasn't been on here for a while... I always appreciated people that organised the challenges. They were fun. I miss Anders insights into the difficult world of being a luthier and shame Todd doesn't seem to be on much now, always appreciated his ear for detail. Now you got me thinking it would be nice to log on and see an long ramble from Erik Van Goch...

Many others too.... I miss seeing more playing and wish people uploaded more.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2020 21:04:55

Ricardo

Florian was the most active lively member before he got married and had a baby. I finally over took his number of posts several years after he disappeared. I miss him greatly. Deniz (XXX) had interesting thoughts on Flamenco stuff. Of course for me Norman was a guy that I always learned from and I loved Sean (morante) hardline puro opinions. Romerito had interesting though very argumentative ideas I actually miss (and was angry when he deleted everything at some point). Also Doitsujin was hilarious. But the most missed content for me was from Ron. .

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2020 17:50:43

Stu

I miss all the nutters! 😔

Simon, was Kevin Richards hemeola man?? He died? 😮 I thought he was a young guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2020 8:35:52

estebanana

Notes:

Lenador - lives in LA studies with Jose Tanaka, he’s very much alive.

Hemiola man is a different Kevin in Chicago area. Very much alive. And being a smart a$$

Sorry to hear Kevin Richards died.

Fred Sanford was Jason McGuire incognito in case ya’ll never figured that out.

Sean had really stupid ideas about whiskey, but he seemed like a committed fly fisherman, so that’s ok. His hardliner view in flamenco is good, but he preached against single malt scotch, so how can you trust his opinions?

GJ - don’t even get me started.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2020 14:28:45

johnnefastis

RE: Former Foro Members Who are Missed (in reply to Stu

quote:

Simon, was Kevin Richards hemeola man?? He died? 😮 I thought he was a young guy

Hey Stu, no he was retired, lived in York, suffered with illness for a longtime. Great guy, played a lot of great guitar for dancers and even sang he was also a fantastic luthier. Did you see his widow is selling his old stock of wood. I think its posted here somewhere. I thought of you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2020 15:47:15

Stu

RE: Former Foro Members Who are Missed (in reply to estebanana

Fred Sandford was Jason Maguire?😂

I knew Jason left or got banned...but faded myself around that time. So missed the Fred Sandford manifestation I think.

quote:

I miss Fred Sanford. Didn’t know much about him other than his occupation which he stated was a Junkyard Administor

This makes this much funnier. A junk yard administrator! 😄

Simon and Stephen. Thanks.I'm glad to know hemiola man is still going strong. But sorry to hear about Kevin Richards.
I hadn't seen that wood stock for sale. Perhaps I'll have a look. Cheers for the tip.... Although lockdown has taken it's toll on my cash stock.

I also miss Florian, Anders and that Swedish dude...Edgar? And there was another guy...maybe an ex metal kind of guy...Edmund?? I remember he had kids and stopped playing (and therefore posting) so much.. They were really regular/active dudes along with Ricardo and others when I first joined.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2020 19:16:36

mark indigo

RE: Former Foro Members Who are Missed (in reply to Stu

quote:

that Swedish dude...Edgar?

Henrik?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2020 19:52:08

Stu

RE: Former Foro Members Who are Missed (in reply to mark indigo

yes that's exactly who I mean!

Jeez, can't miss him that much.I can't even remember his name. 😣

Edgar was the other dude! Maybe I just mean 'I sort of remember them' as opposed to 'I miss them'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2020 21:47:25

BarkellWH

In addition to gj michelob, Kate, and others mentioned in this thread, I miss El Kiko's postings. El Kiko claimed to be of Portuguese descent, living in "Southern Ireland." He occasionally exhibited a strong sense of both satire and irony in his posts, and they were always interesting to read. He last posted several years ago. As I recall, he had just begun a new job and was going offline for awhile, but, unfortunately, he never came back.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2020 15:27:58

Andy Culpepper

Ailsa and at_leo_87 because they were posting a lot when I first got on the Foro (I'm still in touch with Anthony on Facebook though).
Also bursche a.k.a. Maximilian Wichert, he got really good really fast and I'd like to hear more from him.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2020 21:23:16

Mark2

Florian and Ron are the guys I miss the most. Florian just loved flamenco so much, and Ron was a fountain of empathy and common sense. I miss Kate too. And Sean. And Estella. And Edgar, and Jason of course. Lenador also a cool dude. A lot of great people have contributed to this forum.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2020 16:42:48

chester

RE: Former Foro Members Who are Missed (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

Also bursche a.k.a. Maximilian Wichert, he got really good really fast and I'd like to hear more from him.

His youtube channel is full of gems -- https://www.youtube.com/user/donnerwetter/videos
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2020 3:58:44
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post