Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Hola! (new member)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jasmin

RE: Hola! (new member) (in reply to JBASHORUN

Hey, James...Nice to meet you!

Have you decided to study luthiery? If so, pass those tips along to me! I just had my guitar bridge reset and it cost me $160! Ouch!!!

Jas
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2006 8:26:36

Romanza

RE: Hola! (new member) (in reply to Jasmin

quote:

I'm curious, what first inspired you to get involved in flamenco guitar?

Well... it all started almost a year ago! It was my first time in Spain and my dad (a guitarist of sorts) asked me to look out some CDs by some guy called Paco de Lucia, who I had never heard of!! In a tiny music shop in the Barre Gothic in Barcelona, I purchased 'Almoraima' on the recommendation of the shop owner. When I got back home, I decided to have a little listen... and the rest is history (my dad never did get his CD!!!). I used to play a very small amount of classical when I was younger, but gave it up (a decison I regret to this today). But hearing that Paco CD I was hooked and knew I had to learn more about this music. So, I took up the guitar again, got some lessons and a few books and tried to immerse myself in the flamenco world as much as possible...

quote:

By the way, I recently discovered a flamenco guitarist named Julia Banzi. She's from Portland, Oregon, studied with Paco and Manolo, et. al., and is now living and playing in Morocco in a group called Al-Andalus. Have you heard of her?

No. in fact I haven't heard of any female flamenco guitarists, apart from the couple who have been mentioned on this forum. It's very much a male dominated instrument and I guess there are some traditionalists who think that the women's place in flamenco is cante or baile only... but sod tradition! If Paco de Lucia had remained a slave to tradition then... well, none of us would know who he was!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2006 13:37:06

Ricardo

quote:

I've heard some younger guys say, "Hey, it's a great way to meet those foxy babes!" Admit it guys! When you were 16, what was your REAL motivation for learning guitar?! (Just kidding!)

Yeah, that sounds right. At least for me. But as it turns out, my wife played guitar too when she was 16.

Anyway, when I was first getting into flamenco seriously, I saw this chick play on a video and was totally blown away. Really speedy picados and modern style rhythms.

http://www.marijatemo.com/

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2006 14:48:02

Ricardo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 8 2006 15:19:33
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2006 14:52:16

Miguel de Maria

This "chick", huh? I took a workshop with her a couple of years ago. She plays, sings, and dances! The class was "flamenco communication". Unfortunately, I have no experience improvising with dancers so I was pretty much mute.

She kept looking at me and saying "I know you guitarists all want to play Vicente Amigo falsetas all the time." I don't even know any Vicente Amigo falsetas. I guess I look like the type of guy that wants to play Vicente Amigo.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2006 14:59:46

Ricardo

RE: Hola! (new member) (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Sorry about that Miguel. I said she was good, I did not say she was sweet and friendly!
So you DON'T want to play like Vicente all the time? Just by looking at you I thought you did. Ha, just kidding.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2006 15:23:35

Miguel de Maria

Ricardo,
hey man, you know me...playing like Vicente Amigo, singing like Arcangel, dancing like Juan de Juan.

yeaaaah......right!
:)

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2006 15:56:20
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll