Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Tension   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Paul Magnussen

Tension 

I’ve always suffered from physical tension when doing anything difficult. Nowadays it’s nowhere near as bad as when I was a beginner; but even now, when I’m playing a tough passage, I sometime find that I’m clenching my feet (seriously!).

It’s not performance anxiety (or at least, not the “in front of an audience ” kind), because I still do it when I’m alone.

Dave Russell recommended Alexander Technique. I certainly respect his opinion, but it’s time-consuming and the tuition can be expensive.

Others favour a stiff whisky, which seems a bit drastic — especially on a regular basis.

Any other thoughts?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2017 18:37:36

Leñador

RE: Tension (in reply to Paul Magnussen

Didn't Paco say all he had to do was make sure his tongue was relaxed and the rest of him would follow?? When I heard that somewhere I noticed I held tension in my torso so now when I'm tense I focus on relaxing my torso and the extremities follow suite. Maybe you can find the initial culprit?
Whisky doesn't work, drink tequila.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2017 19:48:25

Ricardo

This issue, like looking at fingerboard or hands, facial contortions, breathing problems, always missing the same note, etc, are part of "practice makes perminant, not perfect" issue. Basically by repeating this habit, your fingers tense and your toes curl in one spot, because that is how you have been practicing it and are now part of the music. You have to practice specifically NOT doing these things in severe repetiton, to erase the old habit. And I mean AT TEMPO. Because playing at a very slow tempo is not the same thing, it's that simple. It will feel like you are actually playing a different piece of music at first, and that is a good thing because it means you can now erase the old thing and replace it with the new version.

Wish there was a simpler solution. Perhaps, if you are not tapping your foot, try using it to keep time there. It gives the foot a new task to focus on. Or vice verse, if you are tapping your foot and curling the toes, then deliberately stop tapping the foot for that passage. It means you will have to "re learn" the music with the new foot technique, whatever it is, but it will help erase the old habit.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2017 20:29:24

Erik van Goch

Getting writ of unwanted technical tension over the years has cost me tons of sweat and dude to lack of practice hours still is a constant struggle. Even with the best guidance it took me 3 years to discover my arpeggio and tremolo lacked fluidness because i kept to much tension on my thump. The solution was not to do arpeggio/tremolo exercises all day long (hoping the problem would solve itself) but to make sure to check, double check and triple check all tension was removed from my thump before allowing myself to move a single finger. It involved lots of slow down action and narrowed down focus and awareness before relaxing the thump became part of my system. Unlike you the overal physical tension of my body has increased the last couple of years rather then diminished (you won't believe the oral sounds and face gestures i make during guitar playing and not only when dealing with difficult passages). I haven't tried it on this problem yet but the only solution i know is to sit down and give the problem my undivided attention using all my senses to turn bad habits into better ones over time. At least it's for free, aside of the stress of not getting the required results instantly because trying to relax/change habits can be very stressful and won't happen overnight (the best results i got when i decided to start from scratch again after 20 years of playing, i stopped playing and in stead worked extremely intense on building up a completely new technique based on complete relaxation, exploiting my natural biomechanics and the sound feedback of my guitar, studying individual fingers/moves and parts of fingers/moves building my way up from there. A very important element was that during that period of re inventing myself i did not allow myself to fall back into old habits for even a second, allowing new habits to "settle" without being disturbed/contradicted/clouded by old habits. Also i made sure not to play anything that was "out of control").

The smaller the object of your focus the bigger the result.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2017 20:43:30

Paul Magnussen

RE: Tension (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

you won't believe the oral sounds and face gestures i make during guitar playing and not only when dealing with difficult passages

Well, you’re in good company — look at Julian Bream!

Thanks for the advice, guys (I almost said chaps, but I guess that would be dating myself ).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2017 22:38:43

Tap_Tap

sometimes I find when i'm tense i am also holding my breath, at that point i slow the metronome down and focus more on breathing while playing. not to say it's all about breathing, but it's something to think about.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2017 23:35:56

edguerin

quote:

Well, you’re in good company — look at Julian Bream!

or Pedro Bacán

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2017 8:53:36

Ramirez

Yeah... Tension can really mess you up:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2017 12:35:00

Piwin

This isn't going to help but:
I think just being aware of it is the hardest part. Not just aware in general, but aware everytime and wherever it creeps up on you.
I feel like my history of guitar playing has been a neverending game of whack-a-mole with tension. When I see one tension point pop up, I can get rid of it fairly easily just by focusing on relaxing that area, but then another one creeps up on me somewhere else. And sometimes a mole pops up from a hole where I succesfully whacked it out of existence before, but for some reason the next time around it takes me a long time before I realize it's there again.
I'm not even sure if my overall tension levels have dropped over the years, or if I'm just re-arranging it to different parts of the body.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2017 14:31:01
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post