Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

que onda?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Intros >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

methionine

que onda? 

Hey,

I've been listening to Flamenco for about 5 years now, but only seriously started to analyze it fairly recently as I am trying to learn different palos on the guitar. I've played guitar since I was child, but flamenco has been a special sort of challenge for me. Neither jazz or Classical demands of the right hand the way that flamenco does. As well, the rhythms...brilliant in my opinion. Even something that seems simple when listening, like a Tango or a Rumba, can be difficult to really feel...nevermind a buleria or solea.

There have been a number of albums I have really been enjoying.

The Album Homenaje Flamenco A Miguel Hernández by Enrique Morente is one of favorites. The Tiento and Solea especially; so much emotion. I also really enjoy "Lorca" by him...As a musician I really respected his effort here.

Vicente Amigo; The more I learn about Flamenco the more I respect him. De Mi Corazon al Aire, Viviencias Imaginadas, and Un Momento en el Sonido especially. I saw him live in seattle and he was excellent. I may be one of the few who enjoyed Paseo de Gracia more than Cuidad de Las Ideas, granted the later has a great Alegrias and Solea. I really enjoyed the Tango and the two bulerias in paseo de gracia. Azules y Corinto has a very interesting interpretation of the Buleria in my opinion, a palo which I think he does very well. I havent heard anyone who uses the Buleria the way he does (El Mandaito, Campo de la Verdad, Rocamandor).

His work on "Canta" with el pele, and "Al Amanacer" with Jose Merce is great. Both albums in my opinion go beyond the palos and their falsetas into an area of composition.

The first four albums that Cameron did with Paco I really enjoy, especially Cada Vez que Nos Miramos.

Tauromaiga....Amazing. I'm still trying to understand this one. often im not even sure which palo he is playing in.

Orate by Diego del Morao. Really nice to hear someone interpret flamenco in a novel way without resorting to smooth jazz sounding phrasing. The opening Buleria and the following Solea por Buleria are great.

There are many others but I am tired of writing....

If you guys have any other recommendations please let me know.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2016 4:32:57

timoteo

RE: que onda? (in reply to methionine

Hey methionine, are you near Seattle? Please edit your profile and fill in the "From:" field!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2016 5:34:05

Leñador

Que onda pues? De donde eres? Bueno que te gusta el cante, eso es el alma de flamenco. Mucho gusto guey.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2016 5:40:08

Piwin

quote:

Tauromaiga....Amazing

+1
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2016 11:00:41

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: methionine

Hey,

I've been listening to Flamenco for about 5 years now, but only seriously started to analyze it fairly recently as I am trying to learn different palos on the guitar. I've played guitar since I was child, but flamenco has been a special sort of challenge for me. Neither jazz or Classical demands of the right hand the way that flamenco does. As well, the rhythms...brilliant in my opinion. Even something that seems simple when listening, like a Tango or a Rumba, can be difficult to really feel...nevermind a buleria or solea.

There have been a number of albums I have really been enjoying.

Vicente Amigo; The more I learn about Flamenco the more I respect him. De Mi Corazon al Aire, Viviencias Imaginadas, and Un Momento en el Sonido especially. I saw him live in seattle and he was excellent. I may be one of the few who enjoyed Paseo de Gracia more than Cuidad de Las Ideas, granted the later has a great Alegrias and Solea. I really enjoyed the Tango and the two bulerias in paseo de gracia. Azules y Corinto has a very interesting interpretation of the Buleria in my opinion, a palo which I think he does very well. I havent heard anyone who uses the Buleria the way he does (El Mandaito, Campo de la Verdad, Rocamandor).

His work on "Canta" with el pele, and "Al Amanacer" with Jose Merce is great. Both albums in my opinion go beyond the palos and their falsetas into an area of composition.

Tauromaiga....Amazing. I'm still trying to understand this one. often im not even sure which palo he is playing in.

In case you didn't know it before, Vicente Amigo was a student of Manolo Sanlucar, so a big part of what you hear and like about his stuff is part of that influence. For example, Maestranza on Tauromagia, V. Amigo is playing on that track.

As far as "jazzy-smooth jazz" etc, sure it's easy to generalize but if you get into the specifics of it, those adjectives are usually not the best ones for describing certain players.

Cheers

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2016 14:54:14

methionine

RE: que onda? (in reply to Leñador

Soy de Canada pero pase tres anos en Nicaragua. Mucho gusto maje.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2016 0:20:06

Leñador

Ah que bueno Nicaragua! Mi exnovia de 5 años era Nicaraguense, me encanata la comida! Gallo pinto, fritangas, bajo, tostones y me favorito queso frito! Disfruta el foro amigo.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2016 0:44:25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Intros >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote