Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

YASIM LEVY   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Shrek

YASIM LEVY 

Has anybody listened to Yasmin Levy's newest cd La Juderia ? And What are your thoughts. Personally i thought she is fantastic and her powerful voice captures your soul and drags you into the song, not bad for a non spaniard.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 12:42:01

Romanza

RE: YASIM LEVY (in reply to Shrek

quote:

Yasmin Levy's

Not sure about the new CD but I saw her on Jools Holland (UK music show) a couple of months ago and was impressed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 13:51:35

Shrek

RE: YASIM LEVY (in reply to Romanza

I too saw her on Jools Holland and was very impressed , i also bought her first album Romance & Yasmin which i didn't think to much of ( there was no harm in trying).
La Tana is also an artist i would reccomend and the name of the cd is called Tu, ven a mi .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 14:09:28

Romanza

I think I saw La Tana when she was singing with Paco de Lucia in London last year, very powerful voice. She sings on his Cositas Buenas album (title track) - have you heard it? It's a great album - I wasn't sure immediately but it really grows on you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 14:35:04

Romanza

http://www.flamenco-world.com/noticias/paco16012004.htm

You can see the video here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 14:46:56

Shrek

No , i'm afraid i haven't heard it i'll have to puy it on my to buy list are there any other reccomendations ? . I've also got the new Barrio album which i'm still not to sure of and nothing like his previous albums of which Me voy al mundo is one of my favorites.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 14:49:21

Shrek

Thanks i'll check it out when i'm back at work as i have a slug for a modem.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 14:53:11

Romanza

quote:

No , i'm afraid i haven't heard it i'll have to puy it on my to buy list are there any other reccomendations ?

Nah, I have yet to extend my flamenco repertoire beyond Paco! I can recommend plenty of his stuff if interested..
You can normally pick up Cositas Buenas on ebay for a few quid, or Amazon for a little more. I'd steer clear of Virgin / HMV as they charge £17 or something ridiculous (if indeed they have it in stock).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2006 15:06:17

Shrek

Thankyou . I already have antologia and dvd so if you could recommend anything outstanding thar would be great.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2006 11:44:13

Romanza

My favourite Paco album is probably Almoraima - akthough I think you'll find some of these tracks on Antologia if you have vols 1 and 2. Many call it a masterpiece. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006Y23/qid=1137761553/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-7094350-5902864
(although I am not keen on one track the rumba 'rio ancho').

I haven't heard it yet, but the album Siroco is supposed to be excellent.

For something slightly different the album 'Live... One summer night' with the Paco de Lucia sextet is fantastic (although it does have some overlap with Almoraima) - lots of flutes and other instruments and as was recorded live it has a certain 'atmosphere' to it.

Finally, as mentioned, if you can get your hands on Cositas Buenas...

I also have an excellent compilation called Entre dos Aguas, although again I suspect much will be covered in Antologia.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2006 12:01:26

Shrek

Cheers i think i'll try cositas buenas and almoria first .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2006 12:29:02

I would strongly recommend Fuente y Caudal.
The bulerías, taranta, granaína and fandangos de Huelva are all among the best he has ever recorded.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2006 3:25:35

Ricardo

My favorite Paco album is Fantasia Flamenca. But I also love tracks from Duende Flamenco de PDL, and Siroco is a modern masterpiece. Live in America has a very warm, fat sound, I love the solo pieces on that one. I would make my own "Antologia" for Paco, and it would have a lot of pieces different than the ones they chose.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2006 5:00:06

sorin popovici

well can u make your own antologia of Paco, please?

I usually have enough music now ,but dont have time to listen much ..but
when I do I like stuff.I've listened smth called Cruce de Caminos Gerardo Nunez.
This one got a lot of plays in my winamp.I also like the tracks without guitar like "I walked Bud".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2006 6:30:01

Ricardo

RE: YASIM LEVY (in reply to sorin popovici

Yeah I will make one, but in a different topic.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2006 7:28:33

JBASHORUN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Romanza

My favourite Paco album is probably Almoraima - although I think you'll find some of these tracks on Antologia if you have vols 1 and 2. Many call it a masterpiece. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006Y23/qid=1137761553/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-7094350-5902864
(although I am not keen on one track the rumba 'rio ancho').

What? You don't like Rio Ancho?! Shame on you!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2006 12:03:47

Romanza

RE: YASIM LEVY (in reply to JBASHORUN

I know, controversial aren't I?! I just find it a bit dull and strangely depressing for some reason!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2006 12:06:41

JBASHORUN

quote:

I know, controversial aren't I?! I just find it a bit dull and strangely depressing for some reason!

Yes, I suspect quite a few aficionados think that Rumbas lack the passion and energy of some of the other Flamenco palos, perhaps due to their simple 4/4 rhythm. Although the Gypsy Kings can still kick up a fiery rumba! But personally, I thought Rio Ancho was quite up-beat... shows what I know!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2006 19:08:23

Romanza

quote:

shows what I know!

Probably a lot more than me! Anyway, it's not Rumbas in general (I adore the Gypsy Kings!!), just this track has never done it for me. Not even the jazzed up 'Friday Night in San Francisco' version..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2006 19:47:46

JBASHORUN

quote:

this track has never done it for me. Not even the jazzed up 'Friday Night in San Francisco' version..

Ah, 'Friday Night'... if it wasn't for this album, and in particular that Jazzed up Rio Ancho track, I would never have discovered Flamenco at all. I think there might be a few others out there that can say the same. It sparked my interest, and inspired me to learn more, which took me to other albums. I still dig out Friday Night every now and again just to remind myself where it all started...

Glad to hear you've got nothing against Rumbas in general.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2006 20:10:10

Ricardo

quote:

Ah, 'Friday Night'... if it wasn't for this album, and in particular that Jazzed up Rio Ancho track, I would never have discovered Flamenco at all. I think there might be a few others out there that can say the same. It sparked my interest, and inspired me to learn more, which took me to other albums. I still dig out Friday Night every now and again just to remind myself where it all started..

Yep, count me as one of those. I still love Rumbas and even this Friday night stuff. I even took a long trek just to get my hands on this "bootleg" quality vid Dimeola was selling at his show:
http://aldimeola.com/news/viewtopic.php?p=6707#6707

Before you get excited, the vid was not so great as expected, nor exactly the same night as the CD. Still, it was worth it for me.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2006 5:39:36

JBASHORUN

RE: YASIM LEVY (in reply to Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo,
I think thats the only "official" Friday Night DVD I've seen... but do you know anywhere that actually sells this DVD online?

I've found a few other Guitar Trio DVDs, but they are unofficial and filmed at concerts with camcorders. Occasionally they come up on ebay, but I haven't actuall got one yet, so I can't vouch for the audio and visual quality.

There's one listed on this website (although he told me he actually has several live concerts from Paco, AL and John:

http://www.geocities.com/rockdvd2001/index1.html

There's another one here:

http://www.bobbyshred.com/videos.html

I might track a order a few if I can't get my hands on the official version.

James
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2006 19:19:41

JBASHORUN

I emailed the Geocities link guy... says he's got 2 concerts featuring Paco, Al and John. The first is in Gemany in 1981, and the second is in Belgium (date unknown). But apparently they are "professional recordings" not camcorder jobs.

James
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 14 2006 22:53:34

Ricardo

The one in Germany Lorely is amazing. But make sure it is the full length version, it is over 2hrs I think. The guitar solos and duos in the beggining are the best part. There is a free download of the trio section on line somewhere, like Google video or something.

The "official DVD", as I said was a bootleg Dimeola was selling only at his concerts for a while. He was trying to get back at McLaughlin for make a public statement about Dimeola being a jerk and not letting him use a trio concert in his Montreux box set. dimeola said "it was not the "mclaughlin trio'", Mclaughlin used a duo concert with Paco instead. Now Dimeola is claiming that it was never official and some bootleggers where selling it at his show. So you won't find it anywhere anymore. At least I have the proof! LOL! anyway, that concert in Germany 81 was better quality footage sound and playing.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 17:13:30

Romanza

RE: YASIM LEVY (in reply to Ricardo

If you have sky tv you should keep an eye on the Performance channel (http://www.performance-channel.com/home/index.php) - sometimes they show the Guitar Trio and other cool stuff. I have a recording of the trio that I think may be one of the Germany concerts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2006 10:45:49
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post