Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco Guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Leñador

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Guest

quote:

What's with all the metronomes playing behind the falsetas lately?

People post falsetas online to help other people learn them, the metronome is to help the person learning.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 15:28:53

Morante

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Leñador

Dont confuse Antonio with Manolo. Antonio was saved from jail by Alberto San Miguel, who offered him a place in his flat, booked actuaciones, acaompanied him, managed to make a record.

But Antonio has a regular voice and is just an ordinary cantaor. Manolo, who sang in the Peña, is a fenómeno. A great cantaor gitano, wiht a great voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 15:37:38

Dudnote

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Morante

Ah ha. So do you mean this singer?

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 15:51:45

Morante

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Dudnote

quote:

Ah ha. So do you mean this singer?

Eso es.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 16:07:15

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jsncdlng

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

I think "further digging into eastern music" would be a dead end because guitar does not do microtones well and flamenco already has its own rhythmic patterns. Eastern music is not rich on harmony and rather is melodically oriented.

Microtonal music is only a small part of the eastern music scene. And a guitar accesses microtones as good as any instrument - is playing with a slide flamenco, no, but nor is plugging in to my ears, nor is a bass guitar or a cajon - though I like the cajon. I can't enjoy the guitar with all this poppycock in the background? What's with all the metronomes playing behind the falsetas lately? I don't think strict compas should be measured with electronics ... A metronome is absolutely essential for practice but please don't put one on you tube .... Sound like that crazy Rubén dude always hammering along to an electric beep.

Typical attitude...to shun the metronome. The old players understood it perfectly well. Palmas are the metronome. As music gets more syncopated the solid tempo beat is required to have a concept of soniquete. It's not about any struggle artistically with restraints of rhythm. The music has evolved to a point that to hear the reference against the sophisticated melody is a beautiful way to express soniquete (swing and groove) that a meandering, wavering pulse destroys. The whole point is to take music higher and higher on that level.

"Jazz chords" or extensions of 9 11 13 are already present in the old toques for the most part. Treatment or use of the traditional structures is what has changed. If you want to not like or understand what is going on at the higher level, then your opinion, tastes and preferences will stay with what you can wrap your ear around. That is fine, but all the rest of guitar students that wish to advance will need to understand what is happening and confront the issue of compas directly whether they like it or not. If you want to have an open minded discussion about what is going on it has to go there. If you just want to vent that the good ol days of flamenco guitar are gone (as far too many have already done), then that is a different topic.

Anyway, no band, not second guitar, no jazz:

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 16:18:42

Leñador

quote:

Anyway, no band, not second guitar, no jazz:

Whoa! Man, moment, machine!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 16:44:57

gerundino63

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Ricardo

Unbeleavable breathtaking......

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 17:44:23

[Deleted] (in reply to Ricardo

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 20:40:25

Leñador

Gerardo Nuñez playing a bulerias in its own stratosphere. Kinda reminds me of impetu on steroids. Lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 20:48:37

Pimientito

That was Gerardo at his peak. Ricardo recorded the video and I recorded the sound digitally.
I will never forget that year. Its a bulerias but interpreted in Gerardos super human style.
BTW he also showed us Impetu "on steroids" too.....totally mind blowing the speed he could perform it.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 21:34:51

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2016 22:52:30

gerundino63

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Pimientito

Do you have a better sound recording? I really would like to hear it in a better sound quality.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 9:50:16

Pimientito

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to gerundino63

That is the good version...Gerardo is playing that piece in a huge building like an old church.
The original video sound track was pretty poor. By luck I had a digital recorder switched on near
one of the speakers so Ricardo was able to put the two together.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 10:30:09

Piwin

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

If you want to have an open minded discussion about what is going on it has to go there.

So, in the case of Trafalgar (first time I asked my teacher to walk me through that piece, I asked for Gibraltar by Gerardo Nunez. He wasn't happy. at all. ), what is going on that makes it "modern"?
If it's syncopation, the main melody doesn't seem any more syncopated than more traditional pieces (except maybe a few passages). The arpeggios that accompany the melody are more complex and more syncopated though than more traditional stuff IMO so maybe that's part of it?
Or is it the drop-D tuning (and different key) that isn't common with bulerias that makes people think of it as a modern piece?
Or all/none of the above?

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 12:10:11

gerundino63

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to Pimientito

@piementito, Ricardo,

Well thanks you guys did record it....otherwise it was never hearable at al. gerardo never recorded it?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 17:12:41

[Deleted] (in reply to Piwin

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 18:38:36

chester

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to gerundino63

quote:

ORIGINAL: gerundino63

@piementito, Ricardo,

Well thanks you guys did record it....otherwise it was never hearable at al. gerardo never recorded it?

It's on the album Jucal -
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 18:42:03

chester

quote:

As far as I'm aware the Bulerias is very open to growth as its compas seems to be fluid and open to much counter rhythm.

I think it's more that bulerias is a good palo to 'jam' on. The fast Bb-A becomes a drone, and the compas makes it more interesting than let's say, a tangos (not that a long tangos HAS to be boring). Contrast to a palo like Fandangos that's more structured in terms of chord changes.

Or it just may be more popular right now so people are messing with it more.

quote:

perhaps more than anything I hate a plugged in guitar sound.

Most of this thread you've been talking about things you don't like. Can you give some examples of stuff you DO like?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 18:52:25

gerundino63

RE: The Sophistication of Flamenco G... (in reply to chester

@Chester,
Thanks a lot

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 19:34:23

[Deleted] (in reply to chester

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 20:16:26

Leñador

What I've personally experienced and have seen on this forum many many times is the better you get at flamenco as a whole the more you appreciate modern playing. I used to hate modern playing, I later figured out it was because I couldn't understand what was happening properly and therefore lacked the skills and understanding needed to fully appreciate it. I don't think I've ever met a working flamenco that didn't appreciate modern toque.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 21:51:12

Dudnote

My only real gripe with modern flamenco is how much of it gets very soft and easy listenningish - but singers seem every bit as (if not more) guilty as guitarists in that respect.

But certainly not all of it...

I'm suprised nobody yet mentioned Jose, or any or the other guys that were young when this albumn came out...
http://josemanuelleon.es/la-nueva-escuela-de-la-guitarra-flamenca/

And here is one of my favourite modern guitar albums. Anyone know what Ramon has done since this record?
https://www.amazon.com/Sembrando-Inquietudes-Ram%C3%B3n-Jim%C3%A9nez/dp/B007HJFWBE

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 22:12:05

Leñador

quote:

My only real gripe with modern flamenco is that a lot of it gets very soft and easy listenningish.

I'd agree with that, there's certainly artists and songs I can't even listen to. I know it's insanely difficult, it's just not my bag. Deep down I'm still a metal head lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 22:20:03

Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador
Deep down I'm still a metal head lol

What this thread is lacking is a Bulerias de Tom Araya!

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 22:35:19

Morante

quote:

I like to hear old folk in the back ground mumbling Spanish accolades and a perfectly produced golpe

Your problem here is that you like flamenco
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2016 22:47:30

BarkellWH

quote:

What I've personally experienced and have seen on this forum many many times is the better you get at flamenco as a whole the more you appreciate modern playing. I used to hate modern playing, I later figured out it was because I couldn't understand what was happening properly and therefore lacked the skills and understanding needed to fully appreciate it. I don't think I've ever met a working flamenco that didn't appreciate modern toque.

We may have to make a distinction here between "modern" toque, i.e., the way the guitar is played, and the way some flamencos include other instruments, i.e., additional guitars, bass guitars, harmonicas, etc. Speaking strictly for myself, I have no problem with so-called "modern" toque vs. the old-timers, as far as the guitar is concerned. What I find objectionable is the addition of a "band," or other instruments that muddle and detract from the principal flamenco guitarist.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2016 0:47:44

chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jsncdlng

Thanks. I needed that, I read somewhere in the forum how much more sophisticated modern flamenco has become and I jus had a little tanty - I will keep my whining to myself now. Well, I like long walks in the moonlight ... The beach with waves and I LOVE tequila. Heh

Ok. Ok. I have been quite interested in flamenco guitar for just on 20 years now. I saw some fellow playing a Ras in 1998 outside a train station and thought what the **** was that! I'd been in a deep conversation with folk music for about 3 years prior and the rasgueado mesmerised me. I soon began trying to figure it out. By the time I met my wife a year later I was getting quite fluid with imae dddd and she showed me a book she had bought in France with a guitar what told me I was doing it wrong. I like my music unsophisticated. I like the sound of a ragged rasgueado and music that has an occasional bum note. I like the tension between strict compas and the need to be free. I like the ebb and flow of granainas and the suspended nature of tarantos/as whatever. I like to hear old folk in the back ground mumbling Spanish accolades and a perfectly produced golpe (my own are always too loud) I like a tempo somewhere within the stratosphere and the look in the eyes of passers by who misconstrue my rapid fire eami ras upon one string on the banjo as finger picking ... I like the mirth of the Alegrias in A and the story I can hear inside a soleares. But mostly I like the way we count Seguiriyas and wring such feeling from the juxtaposition of time. I read poetry at poetry nights whilst playing simple Seguiriyas or granainas and I love that. I love the sound of a Blanc guitar with little sustain and how it calls out for constant finger whacking attention. I just like it simple :)

I was hoping for some concrete examples of "unsophisticated" players you like...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2016 0:56:07

Leñador

quote:

What this thread is lacking is a Bulerias de Tom Araya!

\m/!!
quote:

We may have to make a distinction here between "modern" toque

Yeah I just mean playing, even in a singer dancer guitar only scenario you can still play things modern. Even Paco Peña plays more modern when he's playing for singers and dancers. High syncopated llamadas and what not.
I too can't handle most instruments in my flamenco, I'm just not there yet. Especially flute or sax....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2016 1:16:49

[Deleted] (in reply to Morante

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2016 1:27:42

chester

I didn't mean unsophisticated as a derogatory thing, but I can see why you wouldn't want to name names. :-)

How's this guy for you (ironically playing at a Jazz festival) -

He's got some stuff that's more Indian influenced as well (Habichuela en Rama).

quote:

Although it's obviously not a popular choice I really love the way JM leans toward Mecca melodically, and those countries where one might find an oud. Whether or not his guitarist is up to scratch is not for me to say

Who's JM?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2016 2:02:11
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote