Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Wrist position   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

El Rey De los Bagres

RE: Wrist position (in reply to aloysius

quote:

Good discussion you've started here. It does depend on the length of your arms a bit - many teachers I've had in Spain are quite short, and can rest their arm comfortably on the guitar, keep a straight enough wrist and have their hand end up half way between the bridge and sound hole. When I do the same thing my hand is right over the sound hole. If you have long arms it's useful to look at some of Spain's taller players - Miguel Angel Cortes is the main one that comes to mind. He wraps his right arm further around the side of the guitar with his elbow further back - he still gets some support from the guitar to avoid shoulder tension, and gets his hand in a good spot relative to the bridge for a flamenco tone. Compare this to Gerardo's (shorter armed) position.

In terms of anatomy of course a straight carpel tunnel is better - however there needs to be some amount of compromise to allow for the variety of movement flamenco demands as Ricardo explained. If you play music without strumming or any technique that involves rotating the wrist, then possibly the optimum playing position is upright between the legs like a cello - Paul Galbraith and many of his followers do this to great effect. But for many rasgueos and even plain flamenco pulgar technique that position won't work.

Thanks mate glad to hear i was afraid i was spamming the forum with old questions

I have a pretty high ape index, so great idea to take a look at someones who roughly is your height and se how they aproach it. I never thought of that.

I din't know there where people doing serious music with the guitar up right, thats awseome but it does not look right

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ Olé Bagreeee!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2015 0:05:41

Ricardo

RE: Wrist position (in reply to El Rey De los Bagres

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Rey De los Bagres

quote:

Good discussion you've started here. It does depend on the length of your arms a bit - many teachers I've had in Spain are quite short, and can rest their arm comfortably on the guitar, keep a straight enough wrist and have their hand end up half way between the bridge and sound hole. When I do the same thing my hand is right over the sound hole. If you have long arms it's useful to look at some of Spain's taller players - Miguel Angel Cortes is the main one that comes to mind. He wraps his right arm further around the side of the guitar with his elbow further back - he still gets some support from the guitar to avoid shoulder tension, and gets his hand in a good spot relative to the bridge for a flamenco tone. Compare this to Gerardo's (shorter armed) position.

In terms of anatomy of course a straight carpel tunnel is better - however there needs to be some amount of compromise to allow for the variety of movement flamenco demands as Ricardo explained. If you play music without strumming or any technique that involves rotating the wrist, then possibly the optimum playing position is upright between the legs like a cello - Paul Galbraith and many of his followers do this to great effect. But for many rasgueos and even plain flamenco pulgar technique that position won't work.

Thanks mate glad to hear i was afraid i was spamming the forum with old questions

I have a pretty high ape index, so great idea to take a look at someones who roughly is your height and se how they aproach it. I never thought of that.

I din't know there where people doing serious music with the guitar up right, thats awseome but it does not look right

http://youtu.be/9zr_IMuw-tU

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2015 4:14:45

Blondie#2

quote:

ORIGINAL: aloysius
Good discussion you've started here. It does depend on the length of your arms a bit - many teachers I've had in Spain are quite short, and can rest their arm comfortably on the guitar, keep a straight enough wrist and have their hand end up half way between the bridge and sound hole. When I do the same thing my hand is right over the sound hole.

Absolutely, this was one of the hardest things for me to resolve switching from classical.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2015 10:09:03

El Kiko

quote:

If you have long arms it's useful to look at some of Spain's taller players - Miguel Angel Cortes is the main one that comes to mind.

yes good discussion , one of the really important things to get right .. pretty much from the beginning ....and i haven't yet ....

so short stumpy guitarist should advise others like them ...while tall gangling ones their own type ....eh ?? is that what were suggesting here ??

you know .. you may be right...I would be a tall gangly one ...so just looking at a vid of
Miguel Angel Cortes...and yes i think i should i look at how he does stuff ... like picado , tremolo alzapua etc ..
hes got his arm a long way back compared to others ...

just like me ...if fact he playing is almost identical to mine ....

apart from there is no chain of mistakes ....and he has a great sound ...oh ..and much faster ... and everything he plays is infinitely better

..however the chair hes sitting on is kinda similar to mine ...especially in the number of legs ..... so i guess we'll just call it a draw ...

time to study ..................

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2015 13:35:58
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post