Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Cool places to stay in San Francisco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Dudnote

Cool places to stay in San Francisco 

There's a chance I might be heading out to San Francisco (Berkeley side) on a work trip at some point in the next 12 months. Does anyone here have any recommendations for somewhere to stay that is both inexpensive and a cool place to hang out?

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 4:04:10

NewPlayer

RE: Cool places to stay in San Francisco (in reply to Dudnote

I am from the area. It really depends on what your interests are? If you give me some detail as to what you are looking for, I can better guide you....
Also, its the Bay Area, so housing/hotels are not cheap...

For Flamenco:
Thirsty Bar in SF has flamenco nights every Sunday.
Check Caminos Flamencos calendar for any nearby shows.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2015 1:48:31

chester

Somewhere to stay is either Airbnb (expect to pay ~$100 - $150 a night) or for a cheaper option you can check out some motels. Golden Bear Inn isn't bad - I lived there for a few weeks before I found a place.

As far as places for flamenco, there's a pretty thriving scene here. Jason McGuire, Caminos Flamencos, Fanny Ara, David McLean, and Melissa Cruz are a few names you can google and see what's up.

Thirsty Bear in in SF, but the east bay also has some places. Check out Ashkenaz and La Pena for starters, but there are definitely more places that I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

When I moved out here I hit up McGuire for tips and he was more than helpful. Reach out to him through his website when you know the dates you'll be here. If you're able to catch him (he's got a trio going now) playing believe me you'll be blown away.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2015 5:19:58

Mark2

I was born and raised in SF. The issue is if it's near a cool place, it's not likely going to be cheap, unless its a dump. Having said that Berkeley is a very cool hangout and there are some inexpensive motels there. But if I was coming out here I'd want to stay in the city and see all the cool sights. You could find a cheap hotel near the tenderloin area, but don't stay IN the tenderloin. Also look in to motels on Lombard st. they may not be that cheap, but they are centrally located.
Air B&B is all the rage here, but since rents have skyrocketed in the last couple years, even those options can get pricy. It really depends what you want to do when you aren't working. And how often, and when, you need to get to the east bay. Traffic can be a real you know what.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dudnote

There's a chance I might be heading out to San Francisco (Berkeley side) on a work trip at some point in the next 12 months. Does anyone here have any recommendations for somewhere to stay that is both inexpensive and a cool place to hang out?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2015 16:27:13

Dudnote

Thanks guys for the pointers. I'd be looking to get to Berkeley each day and would prefer to stay near there just to reduce time spent travelling each day (unless there is a good public transport option from a cheaper neighbourhood).

The length of the trip will surely depend on how much I end up paying per night + daily transport. $100 per night seems a lot to me. If I could find somewhere closer to $50 per night without being a complete dump / getting my stuff knicked that would be best.

Would be great to see what's going on on the SF flamenco scene

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2015 19:16:38

Leñador

Not from there but have been to the bay area a good chunk of times. Great place. Trying to find a place anywhere near Berkley for $50 a night is going to be really tough if it exists at all..... Start looking now for sure.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2015 19:33:46

Mark2

100.00 would be pretty much a complete dump in SF.......50.00 take a look at Richmond, CA or San Pablo-pretty close to Berkeley and you can get a deal but it ain't gonna be very nice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2015 19:55:13

estebanana

I Certainly hope this second tech bubble bursts for the second time in SF. It's stupidly expensive and its given nothing but a handful of mostly useless smart phone APPs and the expense of driving away all the talent.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2015 2:16:42

chester

RE: Cool places to stay in San Francisco (in reply to estebanana

Nothing new under the sun..

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2015 3:24:19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages