Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Conde' Bridges, Compendium of dimensions   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RobJe

RE: Conde' Bridges, Compendium of di... (in reply to estebanana

I am not sure if my measuring skills are up to the task! Here is a small piece of information that might be relevant. From about 2003 many guitars from the Felipe V shop had bridges with a small "ledge" - perhaps to protect the top from clumsy string tying. I notice that many of Felipe Conde's guitars still have this but not those of Mariano. This picture is from my 2003 A26.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 10:07:07

Ricardo

RE: Conde' Bridges, Compendium of di... (in reply to RobJe

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobJe

I am not sure if my measuring skills are up to the task! Here is a small piece of information that might be relevant. From about 2003 many guitars from the Felipe V shop had bridges with a small "ledge" - perhaps to protect the top from clumsy string tying. I notice that many of Felipe Conde's guitars still have this but not those of Mariano. This picture is from my 2003 A26.

He only wanted GOOD conde data!

(just kidding)

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 11:44:53

estebanana

quote:

Thank you RobJe,

That is actually helpful. Not the ledge, but the width of the tie block and how close it is to the saddle. Those are some of the patterns I'm looking for. Patterns you can see in other bridges on other Andaluz makers guitars too.

If you have a small rule laying about could you jot down the width of the tie block and that can be your contribution. I wager that is close to 14mm wide. Thank you.

I decided to take a day and clean my shop tools, but tomorrow I may be back enough to make a drawing to illustrate the things I want to find out about and all this might more sense.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 12:39:33

RobJe

RE: Conde' Bridges, Compendium of di... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

He only wanted GOOD conde data! (just kidding)

So cruel!

You might find this more pleasing.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 13:23:29

RobJe

RE: Conde' Bridges, Compendium of di... (in reply to estebanana

Hi Stephen
Hope you are restored to bridge-hunting good health.
Here are the measurements of two guitars pictured

2013 Conde A26
width tie block: 13.5 mm from tie block to bone: 7 mm

1965 Vda y Sobrinos de Domingo Esteso
width tie block: 13 mm from tie block to bone: 7 mm

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 13:37:54

estebanana

Thank you Robje appreciate your input. Here we go.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 14:45:30

Sr. Martins

Anyone knows where to get tie block bone pieces just like that on the first picture? Something that would be ready to be glued and shaped to the tie block..

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2015 18:22:52

mounirben

Last year I bought a Conde plan on ebay from a guy named raymond wells.

Here above the bridge dimensions (see the pictures).

And to be honest i found the plan inaccurate (especially for the bracing pattern), anyway i hope that will help !

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2015 23:20:01

Anders Eliasson

RE: Conde' Bridges, Compendium of di... (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

No problem. I was actually interested in the results. I think it hit two problems very quickly which hasn't helped matters.

The biggest issue I see was that you didn't make it very clear which dimensions you wanted. So I guess that's the reason you only have foot print measurements and not things like wing heights, saddle slot depth and position and tie block dimensions too.

Plus the early neh saying probably put a few people off. I would have thought if they weren't interested they would simply not have wasted the effort in posting. After all you a professional and know what you can and can't gain from such a data base.

Also get well soon chap.

You are IMHO wrong there Mister.

The problem with this investigation is the use of the word good. It makes it unprofessional and unserious. Who´s going to decide what is good? You, me, God or Bob´s uncle?

Make a compendium of Conde bridges, great. Good idea; but not of "good" Conde bridges. And remember that it may give you some idea of something, but it can also just be smoke, because the 2 most important factors are not there: *As Andy said, the weight, and *the rest of the guitar.
Bridges are supposed to work together with the rest in a whole. If you sepperate them they are just chunks of wood.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2015 6:42:37

estebanana

quote:

You are IMHO wrong there Mister.

The problem with this investigation is the use of the word good. It makes it unprofessional and unserious. Who´s going to decide what is good? You, me, God or Bob´s uncle?

Make a compendium of Conde bridges, great. Good idea; but not of "good" Conde bridges. And remember that it may give you some idea of something, but it can also just be smoke, because the 2 most important factors are not there: *As Andy said, the weight, and *the rest of the guitar.
Bridges are supposed to work together with the rest in a whole. If you sepperate them they are just chunks of wood.

Well there goes another inquiry stricken down by popular vote.

Got some news for you buddy, weight is not the most important factor in a bridge. Since you already know everything there is to know no sense in taking this farther.

Thanks a million for scuttling another reasonable inquiry with your cult of personality.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2015 9:22:51

Stephen Eden

Haha of course. I guess most people on this forum who own a Conde don't think they are good that's why they have not posted the bridge specs.

Bridge weight is important as it has a great impact on sound as does the stiffness of the bridge. This is something very well known. How you arrive at those points are important too. Foot print, weight distribution, where to relieve from stiffness where to add stiffness. These are also factors involved in the bridge. Getting dimensions of bridges you are interested in is a good way to see how someone is doing it.

The person who owns the guitar gets to decide if it is good. I think that's true of any guitar not just a Conde though. After all the same people with those good Conde guitars might also think your guitars are good. I guess they would be wrong about their Conde but right about yours?

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2015 11:49:35

RobJe

quote:

Haha of course. I guess most people on this forum who own a Conde don't think they are good that's why they have not posted the bridge specs.

It’s the shame of confessing on this forum to being the owner of a Conde. Last night thought I heard a group of people singing the Conde Song outside my house. I went round and checked that all the doors were locked.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2015 15:06:28

RobJe

quote:

The person who owns the guitar gets to decide if it is good. I think that's true of any guitar not just a Conde though. After all the same people with those good Conde guitars might also think your guitars are good. I guess they would be wrong about their Conde but right about yours?

Guitars I have owned have been good (for me) in some way or ways but never in every way. This comment applies to all the other guitars I have played as well. Perhaps compromise is an inherent feature in construction - perhaps you can’t have everything? Now I am old I seem to have ended up with a few guitars which between them have everything. For what it’s worth here are some subjective comments on what is good and not so good in the two guitars I posted.

Good: pulsación – old world 60’s sound – cuts through the noise at a party – happy with cejilla on 5 for that awkward singer.
Not so good: string separation not quite wide enough- bases rather strong in comparison to trebles.

Good: the balance across all strings is perfect – great for recording – the “mechanical” feel is excellent (fingerboard, fretting, string separation, action etc)
Not so good: pulsación not quite up there with the best.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2015 15:21:14

mark indigo

quote:

I rarely stray into the luthiers section of the forum, because while I love guitars and am interested in the making process, most of the discussions are way over my head.

but to respond to the above comment, maybe the reason is because the people that own Conde guitars are guitar players not makers or measurers? I have a day job, and I am out 2 or 3 nights a week playing, and practising nights in between, so I don't have a lot of spare time.

I have two Conde's (1 blanca and 1 negra) that are great, in different ways, but I have no idea how to measure them, not sure if I can even read the increments on my old plastic ruler.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2015 9:27:34

mark indigo

quote:

It’s the shame of confessing on this forum to being the owner of a Conde.

and that doesn't help of course....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2015 9:30:21

estebanana

A big thank you to those who have responded via Private Message to offer me data on bridges.

Anyone else who has a fine guitar, Conde' or not, who wishes to offer data and measurements to this project please contact me Via PM and I'll give you my email.

I've collected quite a lot of data and my ultimate goal is to organize it, with permission from the respective owners of the guitars, and provide the data for public use. If you would like to help out please contact me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2015 0:08:14
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote