Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Four ribbon microphones in direct comparison (classical guitar)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rojarosguitar

Four ribbon microphones in direct co... 

Hello, I finally came to make a short comparison between four ribbon mics for classical guitar:

https://soundcloud.com/rojarosguitar/sets/ribbon-microphones-comparison-classical-guitar

I compare here four different ribbon microphones numbered one to four. The mics with the same number are the same throughout the test. They all went simultaneously through Antelope Zenstudio interface Micpres at the same amplification level and were normalized to -0.9dB in Protools 11. Recorded at 96kHz/24 bit and bounced to 44.1/16 with no processing whatsoever. So within the differences of the placements of the microphones these are takes of exactly the same playing and as such can be directly compared to a certain degree.
The mics were level with my eyes and a good stretched arm length distance from me.

The guitar used here is a Sebastian Stenzel 'Enhanced Wood' modell (cedar/Hondurian RW).

I will divulge later which one is which. Any comments very welcome.

The pieces are by:JS Bach, Esim Can and SL Weiss.
https://soundcloud.com/rojarosguitar/sets/ribbon-microphones-comparison-classical-guitar

Music is a big continent with different lascapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

A good musical instrument is one that inspires one to express as free as possible
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2015 21:20:46

Richard Jernigan

RE: Four ribbon microphones in direc... (in reply to rojarosguitar

One thing I have concluded from beginning to record with a pair of good small diaphragm omni condenser mics is that after decades of playing both classical and flamenco, I am not familiar with the sound of my guitars out in front of the instruments.

Your recordings confirm this. Ribbon mics aren't known for emphasizing the higher frequencies, yet the recordings have more high frequency content than I am used to hearing as a player.

I also conclude that after listening once to the three selections on the four mics, it would take a while longer to arrive at a stable preference--if ever.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2015 1:06:35

rojarosguitar

RE: Four ribbon microphones in direc... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Thanks for your comment...

The last sentence is a bit criptical to me...

The four different takes of the same piece are exactly the same, because I recorded them simultaneously ... if that's what you meant.

Music is a big continent with different lascapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

A good musical instrument is one that inspires one to express as free as possible
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2015 8:06:29

Ricardo

Mic 3 getting cleanest guitar sound ... Others especially 4 picking up room noise IMO very subtle differences nothing jumps out night and day

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2015 19:15:48

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: rojarosguitar

Thanks for your comment...

The last sentence is a bit criptical to me...

The four different takes of the same piece are exactly the same, because I recorded them simultaneously ... if that's what you meant.

I could see what I assumed was the setup in the photo, showing all four mics in nearly the same position.

What I meant was I could hear some differences, but I was not sure which I preferred without further listening.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2015 19:27:36

Richard Jernigan

RE: Four ribbon microphones in direc... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Mic 3 getting cleanest guitar sound ... Others especially 4 picking up room noise IMO very subtle differences nothing jumps out night and day

The ribbon mics I have read the specs on mostly have a "figure-8" pattern, being as sensitive at the "back" as they are at the "front." So they inherently pick up room sound. The differences in room sound presumably depend upon the frequency response, and how it changes as you go off axis.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2015 19:30:56

rojarosguitar

So for the tech-heads here:

1. Samar VL37 (800 US$)
2. sE X1R (120 US$)
3. Royer SF-12 uppper Part 2.800 US$
4. Cscade X-15 (stock transformer) upper Part. (350 US$)

prices only appr.

Samar has the most extended frequency pickup, Royer SF-12 is not exactly figure 8 (though they claim it, but recording test show clear differences between back and front side) and that's maybe why it picks up less room.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2015 9:11:20

Richard Jernigan

I listened some more with Sennheiser HD600 headphones straight off the sound card of my Mac Mini, also via Airplay to Linn Katan speakers plus 10.25" Linn woofer, Linn electronics, in a fair sized room that's just a little too lively for hi-fi.

Unfortunately I like the most expensive mic the best.

Guitar Salon International has a video of Roland Dyens playing a 1956 Bouchet. They say it was recorded with AEA mics. In the video you can see which models. It sounds good to me. When I looked up the specs on the AEA's they have the frequency response of the old time ribbon mics, big rolloff above the high midrange. GSI didn't say what the rest of the recording chain was, nor whether they applied any equalization.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2015 19:54:45

rojarosguitar

I'm pretty sure GSI does process their recordings. Ribbons take EQ generally very well...

So if you say 'most expensive' you mean Royer, I understand? I like Royer too, but I don't like the coincident aspect of that too much. But that is a luxury problem

Thanks for your comments.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2015 9:39:38

[Deleted] (in reply to rojarosguitar

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2015 8:22:34

rojarosguitar

BTW the recording in http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=281574&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1 is done with the Samar ribbon mics

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2015 17:31:46
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post