Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Oil for Fretboards   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Morante

RE: Oil for Fretboards (in reply to orsonw

My guitar is more than 30 years old and it never ocurred to me to oil the fingerboard, which still seems in good condition. What am I doing wrong??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2023 16:30:43

Ricardo

RE: Oil for Fretboards (in reply to Morante

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morante

My guitar is more than 30 years old and it never ocurred to me to oil the fingerboard, which still seems in good condition. What am I doing wrong??

I never needed to do this…luckily my fingers have TONS of oil in them, it’s all over the place on ALL my guitars. Eating pata negra before playing helps too.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2023 16:52:16

RobF

quote:

What am I doing wrong??

Probably you’re not watching enough YouTube. More YouTube = more oil.

I think this current trend is way overboard and probably comes from people wanting to darken lighter rosewood fingerboards more than anything else. My opinion is if it doesn’t look like it needs it, it doesn’t need it. For sure this trend of applying oil every string change or once a year doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Maybe do it once when new, then once every 15 years or so after that is more like it. Or maybe never.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2023 18:07:20

estebanana

quote:

That’s because you probably play your guitar and the body oil from your hands and forearms get on the fingerboard. Because you’re correct, most of the time fingerboards don’t need to be touched with any product.

In fact, oiling the fingerboard attracts dirt. There are ways to clean the gunk that can build up next to the frets, but you only need to do that once in a while during a string change.

The proprietary products sold for fingerboard cleaning are unnecessary. It’s like how my grandfather described certain fishing lures, “tarted up to catch the fisherman and not the fish.”

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2023 2:49:34

estebanana

RE: Oil for Fretboards (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

I never needed to do this…luckily my fingers have TONS of oil in them, it’s all over the place on ALL my guitars. Eating pata negra before playing helps too.

David Serva told me when he and Marote’ hung out at Bar Marbella in his neighborhood that Marote’ always wanted the jamon cuts with mostly fat. So there you go. Vindication by greasy fingers.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2023 2:53:43
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote