Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in cante at Concervatory in Barcelona   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to gerundino63

A neighborhood skater kid came up to me with a bunch of questions about flamenco. Apparently there is a combined flamenco/skate tour out there.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2015 4:35:36

Chilli Fingers

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Ricardo is right, in this example she is out of key...anyone can hear that it is pretty much unlistenable. Its like running your finger nails down a blackboard. But this was probably the worst video to pick as an example, if you look at some of her other youtube uploads they are fine. I am at a loss as to why she uploaded this in the first place?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2015 7:49:23

bicharraco

quote:

A neighborhood skater kid came up to me with a bunch of questions about flamenco. Apparently there is a combined flamenco/skate tour out there.

El horror!!!! El Horror!!!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2015 17:49:39

Leñador

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Check it out Bicharraco, finally, our cultures can meld into one! lololol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2015 21:15:32

estebanana

He can't even smash a kid guitar. hAHAHA

Oh my the beefs, that one guy took a shoulder dump off that black rail. I can never understand that school of skating. It like you take risks and make moves for what? All you get is a jump and a spin and grind trucks on a railing. Pools and ramps feel so much better and transitions between vert and curves are so much fun.

Sometimes I get the reason why when I see a snowboarder pull off the same moves, but it's over snow. Street skating is like the rumba of skating and Kidney shaped pools with coping are the Solea and Bulerias.

Does this date me? HaAHA

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 1:35:31

Leñador

Haha. I hear you though, there is something much more graceful about verts and ramps. Street skating I think is more just a creature of availability. The only street skater I really enjoy watching is Rodney Mullen.

http://youtu.be/oJg2_dUHd84

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 4:47:34

kikkoman

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to Morante

there's this japanese guy that does flamenco song, although I don't really know how well since I can't evaluate for accent and pronunciation.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 5:21:26

Ricardo

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to kikkoman

japanese guy not bad at all!!!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 20:04:42

Leñador

Wow yeah! Tone, pronunciation, phrasing, dude is on it!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2015 1:04:46

Dudnote

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to Leñador

Yep, enjoyed his singing. Wonderring if he can also pull off an oly, and what boards are favorites among the foro's skaters. Riding a Carver Greenroom myself, love not having to kick (and I never could oly anyway).

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2015 2:21:09

bicharraco

Hay que decir que el japonés da el pego mucho mejor que la holandesa.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2015 22:57:50

tele

That skate video actually works, both skaters and gitanos spend alot of time on the streets and they are skating in spain so why not put some flamenco into it to make something new? About learning cante in conservatory, seems to be similar like learning to skateboard with a teacher.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2015 11:43:19

estebanana

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to tele

quote:

That skate video actually works, both skaters and gitanos spend alot of time on the streets and they are skating in spain so why not put some flamenco into it to make something new? About learning cante in conservatory, seems to be similar like learning to skateboard with a teacher.

If the teacher was Stacy Peralta I'd join that skate conservatory.

My current deck is a piece of plywood cut to the outline of a 1978 Z-Flex, it has no wheels or trucks and no grip tape. I ride barefoot on the carpet in my shop.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2015 13:07:58

estebanana

I remember when this happened, Pipes was discovered and soon after it was in all the magazines. Street grind skating appealed to me.

kind of a squarish pool but good stuff

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2015 13:27:03

Mark2

By the tine the dog town crew got into pools me and my friends had moved onto bikes and cars so although we skated a lot, we never did tricks. A skateboard was transportation and we bombed hills but pools and ollies we didn't know. At 57, the concrete is real hard but I still take this thing for a ride now and then.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2015 20:18:55

estebanana

I've taken to making surfboard tables, they are for resting your glass of beer between sips.

In Japan surfboards custom boards cost about 1500.00 to 2000.00- So made one of these as a present for the guy to runs the beach rental shop, he gives me boards to ride for free because I'm a local. I could probably have balsa shipped here and buy glass and resin at the hardware store and shape a board cheaper than the local shaper charges.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 2:03:47

Mark2

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to estebanana

Wow, that's a lot of dough for a board. As low as 400.00 here for a custom board. Nice tables. BTW, Glenn Canin also used to shape.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 17:37:54

tele

Are also the prices of vintage spanish flamenco guitars very high in japan? Seems like japanese work really hard if they are willing to pay such money for custom board.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 21:20:17

Leñador

Love those Stephan!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 22:42:57

estebanana

quote:

Are also the prices of vintage spanish flamenco guitars very high in japan? Seems like japanese work really hard if they are willing to pay such money for custom board.

Vintage Spanish guitars, yes high prices.

Japan was hit hard by the world economic meltdown so they are still catching up. But yes they work hard. And Japanese people can be real lazy too, I catch city workers napping in their vans when they should be fixing streets and cleaning beaches. But mostly they work really hard.

Japan also does not import farm labor, they pick the radishes and lettuces themselves and a damn proud of it. And they pay themselves a fair wage for farm work so food is bit more expensive sometimes. If it is in season it's cheaper, but produce is more than in the US.

It all comes down to importing many kinds of raw goods too. Surfboard foam blanks come from Australia or China or Thailand, and some of the resin is imported, so costs are high due to import taxes etc. So used boards are less but a good shaper gets between $1000.00 and 2000.00 for a board depending on how complex.

There is one shaper who will glass with a light weave cloth and do two lamination coats and sand out the board leaving it light. Like many shapers in the US were doing by the late 1980's. It make a responsive board, but hard riding will pulp the deck of a board like that in a year.

The competitive surfers in the US used to have boards glassed like that when Clark Foam was still in business because foam blanks were not that expensive. Clark foam closed it doors about 7 years ago and cheap blanks are now a thing of the past. So back then even a non pro surfer could get a board made every year or more.

The boards here are made with really careful art work and super nice glassing, and I think slightly in the heavy side for more wear and tear. So they charge for it.

I can shape ok too, but you gotta doe it everyday for a year or two to become masterful. I don't want to breath that much foam dust.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2015 15:25:52

estebanana

quote:

Love those Stephan!

For sushi and beer, no? HAHA

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2015 15:27:56

Stu

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to tijeretamiel

Clapton really said that? to his auidience? was he for real or making a socio political point??

Anyway

"In the first place, white people got no business playing the blues ever, at all, under any circumstances ever, ever, ever! What the **** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of khakis? Huh? The espresso machine is jammed? Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? ****, white people ought to understand their job is to GIVE people the blues, NOT to get them... and certainly not to sing or play them. Tell you a little secret about the blues; it’s not enough to know which notes to play, you gotta know why they need to be played"

George Carlin

Can this same idea be applied to non gitanos singing cante? or guitarists? I'd probably say yes about cante. (but not the guitar, I just try not to think anout that one too much :-) ) But who is anyone to stop anyone doing something they love?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2015 16:01:25

Mark2

They definitely have some good surfers. They have a great wave at Mundaka but it's pretty far from flamenco country.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

Lol I don't actually know any Spaniards that surf and skate but the couple Spaniards I DO know max out on black table pepper and order tacos dry lol
Briseyda Zarate is pretty dern good singer for a 'merican. No videos online though.....

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2015 20:23:27

Mark2

You still can get boards cheap-on craigslist. A surfboard is like a boat-people buy them thinking they want them then quickly discover they don't which creates a solid market for used boards. My latest score was a cooperfish for 350.00-his new boards are about 1,500. It's cool that you know how to shape. You are a man of many talents for sure. I don't even trust myself to fix dings on a good board. I used to have this ding guy who had his entire house filled with boards. All he did was fix dings and grow weed. But the bastard moved to Kauai.
quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

quote:

Vintage Spanish guitars, yes high prices.

Japan was hit hard by the world economic meltdown so they are still catching up. But yes they work hard. And Japanese people can be real lazy too, I catch city workers napping in their vans when they should be fixing streets and cleaning beaches. But mostly they work really hard.

Japan also does not import farm labor, they pick the radishes and lettuces themselves and a damn proud of it. And they pay themselves a fair wage for farm work so food is bit more expensive sometimes. If it is in season it's cheaper, but produce is more than in the US.

It all comes down to importing many kinds of raw goods too. Surfboard foam blanks come from Australia or China or Thailand, and some of the resin is imported, so costs are high due to import taxes etc. So used boards are less but a good shaper gets between $1000.00 and 2000.00 for a board depending on how complex.

There is one shaper who will glass with a light weave cloth and do two lamination coats and sand out the board leaving it light. Like many shapers in the US were doing by the late 1980's. It make a responsive board, but hard riding will pulp the deck of a board like that in a year.

The competitive surfers in the US used to have boards glassed like that when Clark Foam was still in business because foam blanks were not that expensive. Clark foam closed it doors about 7 years ago and cheap blanks are now a thing of the past. So back then even a non pro surfer could get a board made every year or more.

The boards here are made with really careful art work and super nice glassing, and I think slightly in the heavy side for more wear and tear. So they charge for it.

I can shape ok too, but you gotta doe it everyday for a year or two to become masterful. I don't want to breath that much foam dust.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2015 20:32:09

tele

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to Stu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stu

Clapton really said that? to his auidience? was he for real or making a socio political point??

Anyway

"In the first place, white people got no business playing the blues ever, at all, under any circumstances ever, ever, ever! What the **** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of khakis? Huh? The espresso machine is jammed? Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? ****, white people ought to understand their job is to GIVE people the blues, NOT to get them... and certainly not to sing or play them. Tell you a little secret about the blues; it’s not enough to know which notes to play, you gotta know why they need to be played"

George Carlin

Can this same idea be applied to non gitanos singing cante? or guitarists? I'd probably say yes about cante. (but not the guitar, I just try not to think anout that one too much :-) ) But who is anyone to stop anyone doing something they love?

Well Clapton's rich and he's british so it's quite possible he said that but I'm doubtful.
In general I think he's more of a rocker than blues player and way overrated.

But those george's words are way deluded about the blues, sounds like a joke that white man can't have problems/be blue. I have to agree there are very few white blues greats but great blues doesn't come from problems only even when that's the main theme.
Gitanos sort of also sing the blues, there's lots of problems, which are similar to those experienced by african americans.

The greats have always the talent in the genes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2015 23:28:18

estebanana

quote:

But those george's words are way deluded about the blues, sounds like a joke that white man can't have problems/be blue. I have to agree there are very few white blues greats but great blues doesn't come from problems only even when that's the main theme.
Gitanos sort of also sing the blues, there's lots of problems, which are similar to those experienced by african americans.

George Carlin was being very sarcastic, I'll bet he liked Stevie Ray Vaughn-

Carlin also did a very funny riff on the idea that there is no food that is the color blue. I really liked George, he was a master twister of the English or American English language.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2015 2:12:34

Leñador

quote:

For sushi and beer, no? HAHA

Yup!! You've inspired me, I'm gunna go have sushi and beer RIGHT NOW!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2015 2:39:07

runner

Maria La Marrurra, con Melchor de Marchena.

The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2015 2:48:56

JasonM

RE: First non Spaniard graduated in ... (in reply to gerundino63

I'm kinda digging this chick from ESMUC. She's not like the next big thing, just different I guess.

http://youtu.be/mQSUeHbsuA4

Honestly, it's refreshing to hear a voice that isn't the " Gitano 2 pack a day, forged on an anvil" or ear bleed shriek Ay Ay Ay, since I was watching a Carmen Linares video(Dislike) of the Qawwli Chicuelo concert with her and Tomas Parreta. I like those two.

There is another video of her with Chicuelo, that's what led me to investigate a little.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2015 3:25:00

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

quote:

George Carlin was being very sarcastic, I'll bet he liked Stevie Ray Vaughn-

Carlin also did a very funny riff on the idea that there is no food that is the color blue. I really liked George, he was a master twister of the English or American English language.

of course carlin was not joking .... he is a comedian!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2015 15:25:52
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll