Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

LR Baggs Lyric vs. Internal Mic   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

LR Baggs Lyric vs. Internal Mic 

Anyone ever checked out the Lyric? It's actually a type of mic, but it seems to get a different sound than the Bartletts and such. Was thinking about maybe installing one in my Farretta-Shelton so I can gig out with it.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2015 20:21:01

Blondie#2

RE: LR Baggs Lyric vs. Internal Mic (in reply to Miguel de Maria

It's a boundary mic so its not the same response as a regular condenser, to my ears its sounds/behaves more like a piezo. Here's a guy testing both the lyric and the Miniflex (internal mic) system so you can compare. Not flamenco, but at least a nylon strung/classical played fingerstyle. To my ears the Miniflex is streets ahead:

There *was* a webpage with soundclips from Jason McGuire trying one, but I can't find it now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2015 8:13:54

Miguel de Maria

Blondie, I've corresponded with that fellow :)

He says the Miniflex sounds rich and bassy recorded, but live the Lyric cuts through better and is overall superior. Of course, that's what people say about ye olde Fishman Matrix...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2015 14:56:05

NewPlayer

I hope you move forward and install the pickup. Would be curious to know about your impressions...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2015 20:35:31

Miguel de Maria

RE: LR Baggs Lyric vs. Internal Mic (in reply to NewPlayer

I will certainly share my impressions here if I do so.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2015 21:03:46

Andy Culpepper

I installed one in one of my guitar recently and am about to do another. I like it because it doesn't involve cutting a big hole out of the side, and sounds much better than a piezo IMO.

But I'm not an expert on pickups/internal mics. I haven't tried the Miniflex, mostly used Fishman in the past.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2015 21:20:04

johnnefastis

I would be interested to hear how you find it.

Is it because you want something to plug and play ? I often think about how to
install my bartlett permanently... I have the battery version and to be honest its
a bit of pain having a black box in your pocket.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2015 21:46:55

Blondie#2

I'd also be interested to hear your impressions if you go ahead. While you're at it check out K & K too :-)

You didn't mention application/environment - the cutting through vs sound quality aspect is critical here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2015 6:04:54

Miguel de Maria

Well, at my gigs I have been using my Cordoba with Fishman blend 50/50 with the internal mic. Previously I had used almost 100% piezo.

My gigs nowadays are marginally better in terms of situation, but I still wouldn't want to use a Bartlett or external mic. I never got enough gain with the Bartlett with my amp next to me. I have a steady where I am sitting right in front of a Bose L1--the big, old one. I am starting another steady this summer where I will be plugging into a distributed house system and using a K1 purely as a monitor. They are restaurant/bars--neither environment is excessively noisy or cramped. I will be playing by myself, and just using a looper and EQ for effects. That is why I am considering a "real" guitar instead of my Cordoba.

It seems on paper that the Lyric would provide a more natural tone and more gain before feedback than the other types of mics. I have to admit I am a little lazy and don't like to carry around mic stands, mess with perfect mic position, or have a preamp hanging out of my pocket. Having played with the Cordoba, plug-in-play, for 9 years now, it's hard to give up that convenience!

I have a nice Shelton-Farretta blanca that I have been hesitant to modify. One thing is it's a long scale guitar, and my LH wrist has been protesting. If I can adjust to it, I will probably install a Lyric and let you guys know how it went!

*By the way, after playing on a weekly basis in front of the Bose, I really hate the sound of an amp sitting next to me on the ground. It just sounds so bassy and dead!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2015 17:49:42

Blondie#2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria
Well, at my gigs I have been using my Cordoba with Fishman blend 50/50 with the internal mic. Previously I had used almost 100% piezo.

My gigs nowadays are marginally better in terms of situation, but I still wouldn't want to use a Bartlett or external mic. I never got enough gain with the Bartlett with my amp next to me.

It seems on paper that the Lyric would provide a more natural tone and more gain before feedback than the other types of mics. I have to admit I am a little lazy and don't like to carry around mic stands, mess with perfect mic position, or have a preamp hanging out of my pocket. Having played with the Cordoba, plug-in-play, for 9 years now, it's hard to give up that convenience!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I hate preamps in pockets, cables trailing in the way etc. I tried my DPA4099 at a wedding yesterday but ended up plugging in my trusty PUTW instead, cant get my head round the whole clip on mic contraption which seems in the way wherever I put it and it seems very precarious, not what I would call secure.

However, the Miniflex will give you a plug and play solution (not withstanding some kind of external EQ but you'll need that with the Lyric anyway) which should give you a lot more gain before feedback than a Bartlett or external mic due to its design. Jason McGuire was singing its praises again yesterday on Facebook talking about getting twice the volume level he gets with his DPA4099 (which itself is supposed to be pretty feedback resistant).

BTW I got myself a looper the other day, I think that's going straight on Ebay too
I thought it would be cool for doing a layered version of Pachelbel's Canon at weddings, plus laying down compas/percussion for flamenco solos. Not as easy as I thought! Timing has to be absolutely bang on which is tough on slow numbers like the Canon and tap dancing on the pedal to flick it between dubbing/playback/stop is a pain!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2015 8:50:01

Miguel de Maria

Did you get the Ditto, Blondie? I have to admit the double tap stops are brutal, it's something that would have to be practiced. Not sure it would ever be secure enough to confidently use during a wedding ceremony!

But using it has improved my timing tremendously!

I will investigate that Miniflex a bit more.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2015 14:11:47

Blondie#2

No I got the Boss RC-1, but same thing really.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2015 15:38:29

Blondie#2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria
I will investigate that Miniflex a bit more.

I forgot to mention, Ken @ Miniflex offers great customer support, inc. a 30 day money back no quibbles if not satisfied. So you could actually try out the Miniflex and see for yourself (personally I'd go for one of the fitted models that outputs to jack, so you would lose the installation costs if not doing it yourself - then again you could still use the jack hole for the Lyric if you decided to then go for that.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2015 7:22:00

NewPlayer

Miguel,

Did you end up installing the Lyric?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2015 14:10:24

Miguel de Maria

RE: LR Baggs Lyric vs. Internal Mic (in reply to NewPlayer

Just got back from a week in Hawaii.

No, I'm still bumbling along with my Cordoba at this point.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2015 22:07:40
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll