Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

How anyone can become a good guitarist   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

How anyone can become a good guitarist 

I decided to write a little essay to summarize my current feelings about the topic. Hopefully we can get some discussion going and see if we all agree.

There is a saying, "When the student is ready, the master appears." What does it mean? I think it means that great lessons of life and music are flying by our heads all the time, but until we acquire a certain framework or level of understanding, it is no good. How often do we see people shrug off piercingly insightful advice, or how often have we looked back at our "wasted youth" and wondering why we didn't listen to our parents or teacher or whatever?

In any case, certain bits of advice that have always been flying around are finally starting to take roost in my head. It seems I have a very powerful ability to ignore good advice. But now that one of them has taken hold, others are coming in, and even others. Like a puzzle, bit by bit a general shape, or framework is starting to coalesce. The outline of that framework is what I'd like to discuss.

Everyone has an opinion on what makes a good guitarist, or even what makes a guitarist good. They range from having a great teacher to having great genes to having a great guitar. There is truth in most of these ideas, but more important than that is their utility: how helpful is each framework, each hypothesis, and will it be able to assist me in my goals? So to say that all it takes is talent can't help me. And to say that all it takes is hours of practice--well, that might be going too far in the other direction.

To jump right in, my thinking is that the main key to attaining excellence on the guitar is merely a committment to excellence.

I have a feeling that some people are going to read that and say it's the dumbest thing they've ever heard, how does that help? I also have a feeling that some people are going to be saying "duh, of course." Well, I said I was dense!

I was watching Todd's Soniquette video today--what a depressing image--and I asked myself, what does it take to attain that level of excellence? The answer that spoke to me was, a level of mental excellence, both at the time of the performance and over years of practice.

I think it's kind of like meditation, you want to be focused on your breathing or whatever topic you like, and not let other things intrude. For music, I would say it is the music itself that must be held in your mind, almost like an idea of perfection. Without holding a perfect represenation of music in your mind, how could you physically attain it? It's like Michaelangelo drawing the perfect circle--to be able to do that, besides the physical skill, he would need to see the perfect circle in his mind.

I remember reading David Russell's advice, and he said, "Can you make one note sound good?" Can you actually play a single note and have it sound good. If not, then how would you be able to make two sound good, let alone the incredible complexity of a whole piece? I think the bad news is that if we don't put in that foundational work, that one note clapping type of thing, then we aren't going to sound good. The good news is that if we do, it will become more or less natural, and we'll sound better.

I asked Todd about it, and he said "What could be more true than that?"

I guess most of us are constantly "cheating" when we play, in the same way as you see some guys in the gym "cheating" when they lift. They want the big weights, so they throw their whole body into a rep on the biceps curl. Their veins are popping, their eyes look like they are going to squeeze out, and they do succeed in getting the weight over the hump. But the point of fatiguing and training the bicep muscles was undermined, the mental focus was never there. It might be the same thing when you allow yourself to play sloppy.

Heck, Scott Tennant said, "Whenever you make a sound on the instrument, you have the choice to go forward or let yourself fall back."

Grisha's recent advice hit home: "When you play, listen as if you were transcribing yourself."

Who listens to each note with that kind of out-of-body focus, the kind of focus you would need to write down each rhythmical nuance of a Tonino lick or the syncopations in a funky alegrias compas? My hypothesis, the puzzle, is telling me that the good players do.

And as intimidating as they are, and this hypothesis is, it is also very encouraging. All we have to do is put our full attention and focus into each note we make on the guitar, all we have to do is listen, all we have to do is make the choice to go forward with each note. Simple! If we want to play great, we can--we just have to try. If we don't care, then we will sound like it.

When you hear Richard talk about rhythm, about how it must be "perfect", then it all starts to make sense. It must take formidable discipline to play perfect rhythm. "Good enough" becomes the enemy. Distractions avoided. Groove becomes the unifying concept. Guitar becomes a mediation.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2006 21:10:58

duende

RE: How anyone can become a good gui... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

totally depressing but sudenly i feel the urge to practice even more!!
Write more of this stuff Miguel, i inspires me.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2006 21:35:10

carlos soto

That's a great thought Miguel.
I share the same attitude towards guitar, when I play it becomes a momment of meditation.
I think other stuff that helps is being always critical about your playing and really honest about your mistakes and then work on it, develop your own exercises, be organized and work every day beyond your limits.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2006 22:23:08

sorin popovici

your post is inspiring and it is good .
What u're doing here is another art , and that's literature.....in one word I disagree.
I like literature ,movies and music ...if u mix it all up u dont get truth ,u get hollywood.
Then again ,if ten people say so ,maybe I should grow up".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 0:08:58

Francisco

Great thread guys. Definitely plenty of good advice to wrap your brain around. Well done Miguel, I feel my 'paradigm' shifting already. I particularly like this nugget:
quote:

When you play, listen as if you were transcribing yourself.

Painfully obvious in hindsight, yet something I've never really done before.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 0:58:29

sorin popovici

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 3 2006 7:33:55
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 2:02:35

Mark2

Really perceptive post Miguel. I would want to add that desire is an important element in any endeavor. And unfortunately, I think it's true that many people cannot become good guitarists, pianists, accountants, lawyers, etc. no matter how much they might desire, or how sharp their focus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 2:53:38

Florian

RE: How anyone can become a good gui... (in reply to Mark2

quote:

And unfortunately, I think it's true that many people cannot become good guitarists, pianists, accountants, lawyers, etc. no matter how much they might desire, or how sharp their focus.

Mark2

I respectufly disagree, I belive anyone can become as good as they wish as long as they really wish it and put alot of effort into it.
Sky is the limit.
My father is a guitarist but i dont buy the gens story.
I think its all to do with your determination and the power of your mind, refuse to setlle or accept things.
I would rather die trying rather than ever accepting that i will not become a brilliant guitarist one day.

when someone like Richard plays well it should inspire u to play even better and work even harder rather than discourage you.
theres always going to be a better guitarist then u out there, what are we gonna get depressed when we see that ? no use it as inspiration and tell yourself that if he could do it leaving in the US, so can u .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 3:17:31

sorin popovici

I'm with you on this one ...I think sky is the limit.I'm also pesimistic in my nature,
but I learned my lesson that u got to be optimistic about things...there's no other way.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 3:33:54

Florian

Beeing Optimistic is kind of leaving it up to chance and luck thats not my cup of tea either u have to do the work

I am not Positive or anything just too stubborn and filled with too much self belif

but id take that anyday over sitting quietly in a corner and just accepting things

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 3:41:58

gshaviv

RE: How anyone can become a good gui... (in reply to Florian

quote:

I think its all to do with your determination and the power of your mind, refuse to setlle or accept things.

I agree, and I agree with Miguel's excellent post. Thomas Edisson when asked what his genius is made of said 1% innovation and 99% perspiration.

I think in music it’s the same, yes, genes have an impact, those that have it find it easier then those that don’t. But in either case there is no replacement for commitment and dedication.

One last thing, as for the comment to listen as if you are transcribing your self. Its true. While I never thought of if in these terms, a practice I do is to record myself, and then listen, and listen again after a few days. I find that when I play its hard to listen to myself, but I can be much more criticizing of myself when listening to a recording. It sort of brings that level of detachment Miguel spoke of.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 3:49:05

sorin popovici

that's it for me ....no more long posts , oh that Einstein,Edison whatever
...it's not that it is true or not, but it's I dont know ...it's so a cliche.I hear it everywhere
,everywhere in every single domain ...

Not that the other comments were not ok,Guy .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 4:00:13

Grisha

Miguel, I really enjoy reading your posts. They inspire me a lot. The question about how to become a good guitarist cannot be answered simply. Committment to excellence, sure, but also love for hard work, a proper guidance, lots of patience. A great ear and a curious, insightful mind. Ability to analyze and criticise yourself, and to learn from your mistakes. Most of all, however, you need to want it very VERY much.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 4:30:38

Miguel de Maria

Grisha,
you are one of the people who inspired me to write it!

Sorin,
Sorin, Sorin, Sorin....what can I say? :)

To all,
I think the study of people who are really good at something is fascinating. Certainly there are such things as natural advantages or even perhaps natural skills or instincts, but I'm that doesn't interest me that much because it can't be changed. What can be changed is your mental state and your approach. Anyone here seriously tried meditation?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 4:46:50

Grisha

I have a feeling, that this topic mainly deals with the technical side of guitar playing. But it's so much more complicated when you ask how to become a good musician. Because, at the end, that's what counts. For that you need an idea of who you are, what you stand for. And you'll need a life experience to understand what the music you play is about. Do you actually have something to say to the world around you, do you have your own point of view? You need to love, to suffer, to grief, to experience happiness, jealosy, compassion, fear, submission, anger, hunger, frustration, playfulness, desire, sadness, lust, pain, physical pleasures, etc. You then have to learn how to put this things into your music, to learn what all that stands for. Then you'll need to learn how to tame the beast, use your emotions wisely, to develop a sense of proportion. Only then can you become a true master of your listeners' hearts.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 5:07:27

ToddK

Miguel and Grisha.

Great thoughts.

Miguel, i think you are progressing ever closer to where you want to be.

I think you are real zeroing in on the essence. Tons of truth in your post.
Great stuff. Really great.

I also like what Grisha says. Not just about technique, its about becoming a great
"musician".

"Understanding music". A decievingly simple statement.
Understanding music to a level wich Grisha describes, well, there
you have it. I believe he describes as well as it can be described.

Now that im also getting to read Grisha's thoughts, im really seeing
how extremely intelligent he really is.
I mean, i was born in america, he in Russia, and the guy has better english grammar
than i do.
Similar thing with Ricardo. Every time i talk to him, i feel like a numbskull.
He's so quick, not just on guitar.:) (richard). These guys are just really freaking smart.
They're brilliant.

Another common trait among people like this,
UNWAVERING ATTENTION TO EVERY LAST POSSIBLE DETAIL..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 5:36:19

Grisha

Todd, I am blushing! Of course, I can never speak English like you! But I can spend 5 times longer on my posts and fake it! Thank you!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 5:57:14

ToddK

Grisha, im really having a blast talking with you.

You are a gracious guy to join us here, and give us
such great pieces of wisdom.

I consider myself a very good guitarist, but when im wowing
a friend with one of your videos, im watching in awe right along
with them, and at that moment, im merely a fan of the guitar.

Hey, do you still have any Sabicas stuff in your rep??
I grew up on him. Love the guy. I can just imagine
you ripping up Zapateado en Re, or something like that.:)

Oh yeah, and you mentioned, you dont even own a flamenco guitar?!?!?!

Dude!!! If i ever start making any real money, im buying you a 70s Conde,
and im bringing it to Boston. You can pay me back by playing
Paco's fandangos for me. But if you miss a note, im keeping it!!!
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 6:09:29

Grisha

Todd, I am really flattered. Thank you! I only wish I could play that Soniquete like that... Sure I play Sabicas! He's my father's favorite after all! But I play more classical at the time...

P.S. Fandango? No missing notes? It is settled then! Glad you didn't ask for Gerardo's Siguiriyas

P.P.S. For flamenco you also need boiling blood and fighting spirit... and I am from Leningrad...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 6:24:58

John O.

Very well written! A lot of interesting points are in there.

I think the main key to playing well is the dedication to it. Nobody can just pick up an instrument and play perfectly, the talent lies in the obsession to need to play well and improve
. Physically and mentally it's easier and goes faster for some than for others - I've always had big problems with concentration, for example - but with hard work and determination anyone can get to where they want in their lifetime if they have the right tools and the constant will to get there.

The chinese say "He who complements you is a thief, he who criticizes you is a teacher". It's nice to hear "Wow, you play amazing", but hearing it too often can be bad for the ego. It's important to always keep in mind to a certain degree that you will always need to continue learning, to always stay in the student roll. The times I've made the most improvement as a guitarist are when I think I'm a horrible player, wonder if I should give up the guitar alltogether but instead practise harder than ever to redeem myself. On the other hand, the times I've made the most improvement as a teacher/accompanyist are when I'm confident in what I do, or at least pretend to be, while keeping a certain amount of humbleness. Nobody will take you seriously if you can't slip into that roll and all artist scenes can be pretty aggressive at the professional level.

I think over the years my biggest problem has been practising too much. Yes, practising too much. As a teenager I spent over five hours a day in my room practising technique while the whole flamenco scene was right around me! Why didn't I make contacts sooner? Why didn't I take a day out of the week to go meet and jam with the other musicians in the area instead of practising obsessively by myself? I'm 29, have been playing for over 10 years and it's only been a few years that I've really been able to loosen up and take advantage of real opportunities I've been missing! Anybody reading to whom this seems familiar: I've gotten better in the past two to three years than in the over ten years alltogether while practising less than half the amount of time I used to. So yes, it's more than hours of practise, it's experience as well.

I wished Grisha lived in Mainz, just reading a few of his posts has improved my practise so much. Although I'm sure as a teacher he'd be expensive, constantly booked out and would take away all my students...

Johnny
www.flamenco-guitar-mainz.de
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 9:51:42

XXX

Dont want to interrupt your conversation; it is interesting for me, too.

But I think the most decisive point is what your aims are. Maybe that was also one aspect of Grishas sentence: "Most of all, however, you need to want it very VERY much"

I dont plan to be pro or semi-pro.
The only thing is I want to make recitals of pieces I like.

Its really important to know what you want.
There are also people who learn flamenco to be able to show off. Its funny and sad at the same time. Its so clear that most of them will fail with such an attitude, but they dont get it.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 10:03:35

John O.

RE: How anyone can become a good gui... (in reply to XXX

quote:

There are also people who learn flamenco to be able to show off.

I don't know about that, Deniz. If it's true, such a person would never get to be any good at all. Anyone who learns an instrument and music form just to impress others will never get very far. Or anyone who invests so much time to impress others is mentally ill and needs a psychiatrist.

Johnny
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 10:11:57

duende

RE: How anyone can become a good gui... (in reply to John O.

how about us who trys to impress our selfs?

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 10:21:04

Florian

quote:

There are also people who learn flamenco to be able to show off

everyone who ever sets foot on a stage is to a certain extent trying to show off.

I dont think that theres anything wrong with that, u can only show off if u have something to show.

To be a performer IS tho show off.

when people come to a performance they dont pay to see a humble shy performer who dosent perform.
they wanna see a show
My 2 cents again

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 10:24:22

John O.

RE: How anyone can become a good gui... (in reply to Florian

True, who doesn't like hearing "Well, done"? Otherwise everyone would just play for themselves. I couldn't imagine it being the only drive, though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 10:28:33

Florian

RE: How anyone can become a good gui... (in reply to John O.

No, i think theres many drives combined that are different for everyone

Some do it to get girls

Some do it for self satisfaction
Some do it cause they wanna be different to the mainstream
Some do it cause the music touches them
Some do it cause they addicted to the Aire
Some do it cause they seen Zorro or Listen to jose feliciano
Some do it just cause they like Paco and they wanna be guitar virtuoso
Some do it cause of a combination of all of the above

101 reasons none of them really matter as long as you good at it, not too proud of this but i got introduced to flamenco by Gipsy kings ( i tought that was flamenco) it made me look further into it, and i just went in deeper and deeper.

But i am just running my gap here like i am some kind of expert il just shut up for a while me thinks.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 10:36:16

XXX

Flo, Duende, let me change my word then into "people who ONLY, or almost exclusively want to show off"

Should be clear now IMHOHOHO

quote:

I dont think that theres anything wrong with that, u can only show off if u have something to show.

Actually youre right, but the reality is a bit different.
Guys who are really good, could only be that good coz of their passion or whatever you call it. It needs more than the will to show off to be that good. They COULD show off, but they DONT do it, or only seldom.
Then there are people who from the beginning try to copy somebody with a big "show-off factor", to make the maximum "yeah, cool " effect on the audience.
Those guys will never really be able to show off coz they just dont get the music, and when you dont get the music, you get nothing!
So they practice the same rumba stroke or hyper complex rasgueado again and again without ever having heard of compas etc and become frustrated coz they dont manage to do it.

PS: Gipsy Kings are not OUTSIDE flamenco to me. Maybe there are things that are "more flamenco", but GK are not non-flamenco.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 10:54:48

Florian

quote:

Gipsy Kings are not OUTSIDE flamenco to me. Maybe there are things that are "more flamenco", but GK are not non-flamenco.

No they not they Light Flamenco but it dosent matter u know the effect that statment was trying to get. It dosent matter how you discover it as long as when you discover it you never stop discovering it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 11:03:02

XXX

ps: YES, exactly in that order, if someone wondered.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 11:07:49

Miguel de Maria

Nice thoughts, everyone. Todd, I'm glad you think I'm on the right track. As you know, I developed a lot of this from conversations with you anyway. Grisha, thanks for putting me straight there...as you said, there's so much more to Art than discipline and mechanical and even mental means.

Now on to the hard part...practicing :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2006 14:09:28
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll