Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Black Diamond for Flamenco--a saddle review   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

keith

Black Diamond for Flamenco--a saddle... 

Beware, this is a lengthy post.

At first I was initially skeptical of the Black Diamond saddle especially given the price. I posted such a comment at Delcamp. There is the adage, “put your money where your mouth is” which got the better of me and I took the plunge. I figured if the saddle was crap at least I followed the adage of “putting my money were my mouth is”. If the saddle was good then it would be a good investment. I believe I am the first person to use a Black Diamond for a flamenco guitar and the intent was to try to determine if the saddles would work better than bone and in what configuration. Here are the data and analyses.

Guitar: Hand made Spruce/Cypress Flamenco. Action for the flamenco: 3.1mm/2.8mm. This is my typical range. Strings: Luthier 20. I later used La Bella 2001 medium tension classical guitar strings (my usual) on my flamenco.

Saddle Material I tested: a. Proprietary substrate bass and treble b. Mesquite substrate bass and treble c. Mesquite bass and Proprietary treble (two halves).

Note: All saddles had Pyrolytic carbon tops with different bases (substrate). For example, the mesquite saddle had a mesquite base with carbon inserts for each string.

The baseline material of the test was a bone saddle which I had been using for a few months and therefore I was familiar with its’ qualities. I did several A:B:C testing procedures: (bone, mesquite substrate and proprietary substrate) with the indoor temp in the 70’s and the humidity between 42 and 55%. I also used the proprietary saddle for few days and the mesquite saddle for a few days without doing an A:B:C testing. Besides doing the A:B:C test I did a test with an electronic tuner to assess if notes were coming out sharp or flat at different frets. I tested the notes, A, B, G, D and E as I could easily assess those notes with my tuner. I did not detect any abnormal sharpness or flatness when I did a test on all 6 strings. Additionally, in my chromatic scale test I listed to see if any abnormal condition, such as a wolf note, developed. I did not detect any abnormal note.

Data:
1. Proprietary: I initially received this substrate. I found for the bass strings there was a very slight decrease in the bass response—that is, the basses were slightly not as full as with a bone saddle. For the trebles there was a slight increase in brightness. The one thing that stands out: less “tubbiness” of the G string. The volume was a greater than bone. Individual notes seem to be more focused.
2. Mesquite: I let the Black Diamond folks know of my experience and they suggested I try Mesquite and sent me a half saddle (bass side). I cut the Proprietary in half and used a half and half mixture. I found the Mesquite substrate added fullness to the basses—I could hear and feel them better than with the bone saddle. The volume was slightly greater than bone. The notes seem more focused . For the trebles the volume was greater than bone and the notes were focused with less “tubbiness” to the G string. . After letting Black Diamond know of my results they sent me a full Mesquite saddle which gave my trebles a touch of sweetness which they needed; that is, there was a decrease in the shrillness of the trebles

Analysis: To reiterate what I said above, I believe I may be the first person to test out the materials for a flamenco guitar so cutting saddles and getting a half saddle was more for science than anything else. As I understand, Black Diamond can make a half and half saddle. I used the Mesquite/Proprietary bass/treble mix until going 100% Mesquite. My flamenco is bright by nature and the Mesquite saddle added more depth and fullness to the basses and added a touch of sweetness and decrease in shrillness. Both changes were positive to my ears. For a guitar in need of brightening up the Proprietary saddle might do the trick.

The saddles from Black Diamond definitely add some volume--both bass and trebles. As mentioned above, notes seemed more focused. The added volume and focus helped in that regard. I found I did not need as much energy of my right hand to get the notes to sound which I found increased my speed of picado and tremolo. Rasqueos required less energy as well. It was nice to hear the “G” string sing a little crisper. This saddle may be a remedy for the ubiquitous problem of the “tubby G string”.

Now to the big question: Is the saddle worth the investment? For someone who owns a high end guitar and is happy with it using a bone saddle then a Black Diamond saddle may not be something they would want. For someone with a good guitar that would benefit from a little more volume, a little more focus to the notes, a crisper G string, then I would say yes. For someone who might want a little different texture every now and then a Black Diamond saddle would be good to have around. For someone with a guitar that needs a little help for the basses or trebles, needs a little more volume, more focus to the notes and/or a less tubby G string I would say yes. The Proprietary saddle could help a lot of guitars that need a little boost to brighten them up. Conversely, some guitars may need a boost to give them a little extra fullness to the basses and the Mesquite saddle might help. If someone needs a new saddle and is paying for someone to make it then I would say the investment is worth the few extra dollars. The saddles are very well made and were almost dead on with height and width. Of course, the key is to have a good template (the old saddle).

For a guitar with good quality sound across all strings the Black Diamond saddles could add that little extra. Ice cream sundaes come to mind; the guitar is the ice cream and syrup and the Black Diamond saddle is the extra—nuts on top. If the ice cream and syrup are crap the nuts ain’t gonna make it but nuts on top of good ice cream and syrup add that special extra to the sundae. To be sure the saddles are not going to make the guitar leap from a factory guitar to a Barbero but they do add a benefit.

Going forward I will use the Mesquite saddle for my flamenco and will probably use the Proprietary saddle, using a shim to elevate the action, for my Cordoba classical which needs a little help with the trebles. I am pleased with the results and consider the money spend a very good investment.

In closing I must include this: The Black Diamond folks have a great customer service attitude and throughout my experience were friendly, helpful, and dedicated to make sure I was a happy camper.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2014 11:44:01

Stephen Eden

RE: Black Diamond for Flamenco--a sa... (in reply to keith

Great stuff.

I am glad that something good has come from the other thread.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2014 12:07:55
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote