Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better off with a modern violin   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Paul Magnussen

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

Prices can drop and raise like a yoyo when the experts change their minds over a paintings status.

In my book, Picasso had the right attitude: apparently, people used to show him paintings attributed to him in his younger days and ask if they were genuine.

If he liked the painting, he would say it was genuine, and if not, that it wasn’t — regardless of the actual state of affairs.

When he finally admitted this, the Picasso market went haywire.

(If I recall correctly, he was finally rumbled when he said that a painting was fake, but the seller knew for a fact that the provenance was genuine, and called him on it. Then it all came out.)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 0:17:46

timoteo

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to Erik van Goch

Most of you have probably heard the story of Joshua Bell playing Bach in the subway on his Stradavarius. But for those of you who haven't, I think it's apropos:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 0:22:00

Erik van Goch

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Magnussen

In my book, Picasso had the right attitude: apparently, people used to show him paintings attributed to him in his younger days and ask if they were genuine.

If he liked the painting, he would say it was genuine, and if not, that it wasn’t — regardless of the actual state of affairs.

Don't you just love him :-).

In the Netherlands quite recently 7 paintings were stolen from the Rotterdam Kunsthal, including a Picasso. I'm pretty sure they were fake as hell and the whole thing was a conspiracy of the owner and the museum to collect the insurance money. The paintings were part of a huge collection that was recently inherited and i suspect the new owner and one of his museum connections discovered a couple of paintings (maybe shamefully hidden by the previous owner) that were at least dubious. Offering them for auction would be risky because the resulting exposure could question their quality/identity which could discredit the whole collection. So in stead of running the risk of auction i guess they decided to dump them in a more creative way. So they were temporary exposed in the museum were they were stolen in a shockingly simple way (at first it looked the museum had forgotten to lock the backdoor but they later explained a false fire alarm automatically unlocked the doors, being part of fire/insurance regulations). As a result the thieves could open the door from the outside using a simple credit cart and within minutes the selected paintings were gone, like they had been standing near the door packed and ready to be taken. The next day i saw the paintings in the newspapers, immediately smelled a rat and came up with above scenario. Who would question the originality of works exposed at a museum? On top a museum insurance is more likely to pay good money then a private insurance. All they had to do was burn the paintings asap. When the romanian thieves were caught they indeed claimed the paintings were burned. Wouldn't it be nice if they secretly kept the paintings in stead of burning them as agreed.... then 1 day they might show up, proving my case :-).

The smaller the object of your focus the bigger the result.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 1:16:20

Leñador

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to Arash

Nice, very metal Erik! \m/

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 1:18:17

Paul Magnussen

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 11 2014 2:29:50
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 1:27:56

Ruphus

Thank you very much for the Picasso story, Paul.

I have always held a grudge against him for not unvealing the arbitrariness of his work, on his last days at the latest.
Hearing that story now makes it up a tiny bit, for one; and also makes him more sympathetic in my eyes.
-

I had heard before that sound was not relevant with antique instruments. ( Hence only practically unrelated criteria at work like scarcity, age, provenience or intact being.)
But I could not believe it.

-

Besides:

There have been other thelike blind tests with similar results before ( I remember one from about ~ 5 years or so ago), without headlines.
Why this time? ( It was mentioned in German grand TV-News.)

Just the usual / random deciding in news agencies?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 11:14:32

estebanana

Well, I'll tell you what, after reading this thread, no comment, but I'd take a Stradivari cello any day over a modern instrument, given a few to choose from. And any sane person would too.

Many makers today are doing great work and a few have made instruments on a consistent basis that are as good as older Italian instruments. But when it comes to tests you have to be fair to all periods of instruments and bear in mind different soloists value different qualities.

You have to ask yourself, which five Strads were available vs. which modern instruments by certain makers ?- and which soloist was playing them? Then understand that a certain soloist will have preferences for different ways the violin handles and sounds.

Have a listening session with five great soloists and 20 Strads and 20 modern instruments and have them rate all the instruments. Compare the results between several soloists and see which instruments are consistent at rating in the top of the field.

In other words, just because one or two soloists prefer a certain sound does not mean Strads are not as good. The organizers of the test could have picked a soloist who they know to like certain kinds of instruments and set them up to feel that way. The other thing is when you play a great violin or cello you may not know in three minutes how to play it to get it to reveal itself. Even great concert artists know this and take time to learn how to play a particular Strad or whatever name. Case in point Yo Yo Ma's cello the that as previously the instrument of Jacqueline du Pre- the Davidoff Strad cello. He has remarked that it took him some time to understand who to coax out the sound.

If it were me, yeah, I'd take the Strad in a millisecond. A few modern makers have challenged the standard, but Strad set the standard, for a really good reason.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 13:09:59

C. Vega

What most of these tests, comparisons or whatever you want to call them rarely, if ever, take into account is the simple fact that every Stradivari instrument that is in current use and nearly every one stashed away in museum and private collections has been heavily modified over the years to the point where sonically they bear little resemblance to the way they sounded when they were made.
There is only one existing Stradivari instrument of the 600 or so (depending on who you ask) that remain, a very large viola that resides in a museum in Italy, that has remained largely original.
The necks have been lengthened and angled back, bass bars have been enlarged and replaced numerous times in some cases, they sport taller bridges, longer fingerboards with more of an arch, a different type of tailpiece and use considerably higher tension strings. Many of them have also been regraduated.
And lets not forget about repairs. I remember seeing some photos of the inside of a very famous Strad violin known as "The Viotti", named for a famous player who once owned it. The inside of the top was a virtual textbook of violin repair techniques. There were numerous crack repair cleats, several large patched areas that required removal of a considerable amount of original wood and in a couple of places there were patches on top of patches. There was also considerable "edge doubling" done to replace wood that was lost due to numerous top removals over the years. I would estimate that 35-40% of the wood in the top was not original. The repairs were masterfully executed and barely visible from the outside. It kinda makes one wonder how much of "that sound" is due to good ol' Tony Strad and how much is due to the skilled modifications and repairs.
FWIW, the last time "The Viotti" changed hands it sold for over $10 million U.S.

A number of years ago the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York took one of the Strads from their collection, a decent enough example but one with no hoity-toity provenance, that had undergone modernizing and had it "built back" to something close to it's original specs by a highly skilled Swiss violin maker. The results were decidedly less than impressive. Rather than subject the fiddle to even more surgery, the museum curators wisely decided to leave well enough alone and it remains in the "old" configuration.
This example serves to show that not every Strad is a sonic masterpiece. Only a relatively small percentage of those that still exist are used regularly and of those that are an equally small percentage of them are considered, by "those in the know", to be top end soloist instruments.

In Stradivari's lifetime many players preferred the older style more highly arched violins of makers like Stainer and Amati but these instruments did not fare as well when the modernizing began in the early 19th century whereas the Strad and later Guarneri style of instruments responded well to them. This is most likely a big part of all the hoopla. Many modern players who specialize in baroque and other early styles tend to favor the more highly arched and mellower sounding older style fiddles as well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 13:55:34

Anders Eliasson

Very good Charles
You only forgot one point. The pitch has been raise considerably since these instruments were made. And it makes a huge difference in how the instrument handles.

I´ve never played an original Strad or Guarneri, but I had the luck to play an original Jacob Stainer a few times back in the 80th. Its the best instrument I have tried. Volume wasnt big but it was very well balanced and sweet to play. Very easy in the right hand. It was easy to balance double stops and to create the tone.
It was a premier pre Beethoven style instrument and a VERY good fiddle as well.
On the other hand, during a time, I took classes with the concertmaster of Copenhagen philharmonics and tried his very expensive French violin. Very powerfull but a bitch to play in the right hand. Very nervous. There´s no doubt that it was a very good instrument, but it for a player used to play that kind of violin and also for someone way better than me.
The Stainer was like a good old friend from the first note. What a joy to play such an elegant voice.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 15:23:18

C. Vega

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Oh, I didn't forget about the rise in standard pitch and it's being one of the primary reasons, as I'm sure you know, for the 19th century modifications. I just didn't mention it.

I've held three Strad violins and actually played on one for a few brief seconds.
A friend of mine was part owner of a high-end violin shop in Washington D.C. and had a long pattern Strad on consignment. It had all the paperwork, etc. to go with it. I remember the pained look on my friend's face as I sawed out a very out-of-tune rendition of Percy Grainger's Country Gardens.
This was in the mid 1970s and the asking price for the violin at that time was a mere $100,000 U.S.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 15:42:32

Paul Magnussen

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to timoteo

quote:

Most of you have probably heard the story of Joshua Bell playing Bach in the subway on his Stradavarius. But for those of you who haven't, I think it's apropos:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

“In Boston, as [Joshua Bell] performed Max Bruch's dour Violin Concerto in G Minor…”

Confirmation, as if any were needed, that Washington Post writers are frequently indistinguishable from cultureless oafs.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 16:05:10

Ruphus

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to C. Vega

quote:

ORIGINAL: C. Vega

I remember the pained look on my friend's face as I sawed out a very out-of-tune rendition of Percy Grainger's Country Gardens.

Hehehe!

quote:

ORIGINAL: C. Vega

This was in the mid 1970s and the asking price for the violin at that time was a mere $100,000 U.S.

The seventies to me mark the point in time until things were still in proportion.

Workers could still build their homes, musicians afford their instruments; and materials or food were more or less a no-brainer.

And the world, if I recall that right, had no more than two billionairs, still in the numbers below of ten.

Now we have to move closer in order to entertain over 1600 billionairs with numbers far into tens, and their huge entourage that grazes the plains.

No easy times for blades of grass like you ´n me.
-

And how todays kings manage to prevent any potential mentioning of usury an profiteering

Just yesterday I was cringing while the exploding energy costs in Germany were discussed in the media.
Not one single voice anywhere that would point out how the electricity combine was privatized and how new owners are milking the people and writing their own tarif schedules and rules. ( Like that you have to pay higher distribution fees when consumption decreases due to your installation of low-consumption devices. ) Including those rules emitted by the state, mind you.
-

How long will it take until the law of buck will be realized by those who generate the value?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 16:41:40

sig

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

How long will it take until the law of buck will be realized by those who generate the value?
I'm not sure it ever will Ruphus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 21:18:50

timoteo

quote:

quote:

“In Boston, as [Joshua Bell] performed Max Bruch's dour Violin Concerto in G Minor…”

Confirmation, as if any were needed, that Washington Post writers are frequently indistinguishable from cultureless oafs.

Paul Magnussen

So let me get this straight: You just read a 7000+ word article about what happened when the author arranged for a world-class musician to busk in the D.C. subway with his multi-million dollar instrument, and your only reaction is to malign the author and the newspaper because of one word from a sentence that was in no way related to the central theme of the article? (At least I assume the word "dour" is what you're objecting to.)

That seems very petty of you Paul. Even if you do disagree with his characterization of Bruch's concerto, why go out of your way to pick a fight over filler material? Is it not conceivable that someone has an opinion about that concerto which is different than yours? I personally find the concerto not unpleasant, but what do I know, I'm also a culturless oaf. Regardless, I found the article to be an interesting demonstration of how context influences our opinions of value, which is what I thought we were talking about in this thread.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 22:28:50

estebanana

Look, it makes no difference if Strads & Guarneri's are opened up and changed over the years, the modern instruments that are made are based on them.

Here's the important thing to bear in mind, there is something intrinsic to the Cremonese method of construction that defies change from the being repaired or renecked (modernized. ) The modern copies, and they are usually copies or closely based on Strads et al are also modernized.

I can give you list longer than anyone on the this Foro of Italian violins, violas and celli I've held and played, but I'll spare you the name dropping.

Here's the deal: Tests are all subjective in some way, the best Strads and the Guarneri del Gesus may not have been in that the room,because the best of the best are concert violins on tour or held by concertmasters who are busy working.

The woman doing the playing also was hearing the violin under her ear and she was at the end of her loan period on her Strad, she may have shopping for a new fiddle, so she was looking for certain things and used to hearing a particular Strad under her ear. I've been with good world class players when they select instruments and they take a lot of time to try them and they put them down an try them again. They ask someone else to play it and stand back 5 feet, 10 feet, 20 feet and they evaluate. They consider modern and vintage instruments and often times if they can afford it they will go with a vintage instrument.

Concert artists also play high profile instruments, because well someone has to so it may as well be Yo Yo Ma who has Strad and not the kid done the block. Take the cellist David Finckel, he was the cellist of the Emerson Quartet until he retired to work solo with his wife Wu Han the pianist. Finckel is big advocate of playing modern instruments, but I've never heard him say stupid things about about those who play old masters instruments, like "They only play them for the prestige." Because this clearly is not true. People play older instruments because they are good.

Take Jacquline du Pre, she played the Davidoff cello for about five years, but her playing style changed and the Davidioff no longer suited her, so she was playing on a modern cello at the end of her career because it suited what she was doing. She still kept the Strad cello before it was sold to YoYo Ma, and he kept his Montagnana cello.

The point is great players grab the instrument that suits what they are trying to accomplish at the time. If they can acquire a great old master instrument that suits them they will. If not they will go with a modern instrument that suits them. They may even want to need to change instruments for a particular piece of music because it is better on that fiddle or cello in the way they play it. There are many, many considerations for choosing modern or antique, but to say they simply pick older because of the name or the cache' of having a violin by an old master is really not a major consideration. They want them because they are great instruments.

The argument that new is better or old is better is not really important and sound testing is always subjective in some respect.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 23:07:23

estebanana

I've always loved the Bruch concerto. My first instrument making teacher Mr, Tenney used it to test violins after he set them up. I have a kick butt recording of it by Maxim Vengerov if you really want to hear a dour Russian slay it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2014 23:10:27

estebanana

One thing that keeps getting said over and over is that Old Italian instruments are fine tuned through the years by luthiers tinkering with them. Nothing could be further from truth. The opposite is true, despite the changes that are made to these instruments they have an intrinsic ability to continue to sound good, and place as top instruments.

The only people who can reliably comment on the subject of whether Strads are enhanced by tinkereers over the centuries are the the violin makers who work on them as daily practice. Those are the only people who can determine any judgments on whether the work has changed the instrument significantly.

The violin world, like the guitar world, has its share of basic mythologies and errors that people repeat over and over. I'd venture the violin world has had it's share of Prof. Diaz' over the centuries. The only people who really know anything, and there contention among them about how things were done, are the top repair and restoration experts. If you ever get to spent time around them in person and see what they do you get the idea that most other people talking about violins are just spouting total BS.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 2:11:56

Anders Eliasson

quote:

The only people who really know anything, and there contention among them about how things were done, are the top repair and restoration experts. If you ever get to spent time around them in person and see what they do you get the idea that most other people talking about violins are just spouting total BS.

I agree with this BUT isnt the whole foroflamenco like that and isnt the whole internet like that?

Most of what you write has already been said in this thread. and your attitude is as usual when it comes to violins and cellos that you know stuff, you´ve been in the hot spot and the rest of us just ignorants babbling along.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 7:21:25

Arash

What I miss a little bit in such discussions, are things like playability, pulsation, overall feel etc. (Isnt that the case with all acoustic instruments?),
they always talk about Sound in the articles. But we all know that decisions to chose a specific instrument also depend a lot on all the other details (consciously or unconsciuosly). I can imagine there could have been some improvements in this regard during the last 300 years :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 7:40:37

Anders Eliasson

Arash, I´m not going to say much because this is not the place and I´m not interested in discussing with a certain person.
But of course, there are other things to violins than their tone. In this aspect, they are very close to flamenco guitars. i wrote a little bit about it in an earlyer post.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 8:11:01

Arash

Yeah ok I'm sorry, I didn't read all the posts.
Going through them right now.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 8:15:36

Ricardo

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to estebanana

Good grief those violin evaluations are complex! Thank god we guitarists can spare ourselves all that by just looking at the headstock.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 8:51:36

Ruphus

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sig

quote:

I'm not sure it ever will Ruphus.

It is so weird, isn´t it. :O[

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Good grief those violin evaluations are complex! Thank god we guitarists can spare ourselves all that by just looking at the headstock.

Heheeehehe! Loved this one!

I appreciate seeing you guys mention the antiques ability to sound good.
It meets my impression from old guitars.
Naturally, only those old guitars of quality to begin with. Duds will not develop into high enders over time.

In former discussions on other forums I saw suggestions according to which the aging ( and likely more even vibrating ) of the wood could result in either or both:
# Change of resin consistency
# Breaking up / loosening of wood fibers.

Don´t ask how scientifical this could be. It just sounded of potential to me, who thinks to experience distinct merrits with antique / long played guitars.
And if that impression was to be valid then other aspects like pulsation, hence playability should be effected too. ( Which is what I fancy. Antique guitars seem to respond so `willingly´.)

In the end the probability of this matter would go back to the unchecked question of woods breaking in; true phenomenon or myth.

The majority of us seems convinced of instruments changing with use. Them breaking in, responding noticeably better after been played boldly. ... Others claim nothing thelike was actually happening.

And no darn lab on this planet has been curious enough to inspect this question: Will aging and / or playing influence woods resonation characteristics?

I am willing to bet on the eventual result, yet aware about the potential risk of a bet. There have been too many examples of senses fooling me.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 9:54:13

Anders Eliasson

quote:

And no darn lab on this planet has been curious enough to inspect this question: Will aging and / or playing influence woods resonation characteristics?

I dont think any lab on planet earth will be able to make any kind of reliable conclusions. There are way to many factors that cant be controlled that influences the result.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 10:21:06

Ruphus

Aging effects might be hard to prove, unless typical changes became evident under e-microscope / chemically or such.

However, effects through resonation should be somewhat tracable when comparing "sibling instruments", built as closely as possible, with their individual deviation taken into account while watching before / after specifications.

Results should be at least good for a plausible hintsight, I think.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 10:31:13

estebanana

quote:

Most of what you write has already been said in this thread. and your attitude is as usual when it comes to violins and cellos that you know stuff, you´ve been in the hot spot and the rest of us just ignorants babbling along.

My attitude as usual heh, heh good one. You're the one who harps on us Americans because we copy Barberos and Reyes and you cop a major attitude taking such a superior view of it all.

But I'm pretty sure you copied a Strad when you made your violins. So people who live in glass houses and all that.

And you did get one thing totally backwards- You said Strads and other older instruments violins sound because they were worked over by later repairers. Well the opposite is true, they were made well to begin with and because of that they continue to sound good because they are worth putting the time and money into maintaining them.

It's not that you're totally ignorant babbling along, but it's nice you let you know how it feels to be on the receiving end of your incessant "I live in Spain blah blah blah and you are all guiri idiots blah blah guitar know-it-a-ism.

So tit for tat.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 10:33:05

gj Michelob

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

It's not that you're totally ignorant babbling along, but it's nice you let you know how it feels to be on the receiving end of your incessant "I live in Spain blah blah blah and you are all guiri idiots blah blah guitar know-it-a-ism.

... and neither of you is Italian, so be quiet on Italian matters -as on the subject of Spaghetti or its violin making school

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 14:42:49

Ruphus

I suppose Marco Polo would have a say in this too.
After all he is supposed to have brought over the pasta from China.

However, the minute we dress up spaghetti with the attribute "best tasting" the cup comes back to you Italians with certainty.

Over here for instance, "al dente" is an unknown factor, and pasta will to the opposite be steamed just like rice until they become soft and sticky. Admittedly, the way they do it the mushy outcome still tastes well, but can´t come close to masterfully accomplished Italian cuisine.

Man, in Cologne there used to be a luxury Italian called "Maxim" or such, and one day I chose a plate with mixed kinds of pasta.
It outperformed the examples I had in Italy, including Apulian Mama´s self-made. Never in my life did pasta taste as good again. Just incredible.
Only saying and drooling in memories.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 15:31:38

Arash

Yeah guys,don't mess with Don Giacomo or you will sleep with the fishes soon.

oh man, am i hungry now

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 15:36:43

Paul Magnussen

RE: Stradivarius? You'd be better of... (in reply to timoteo

quote:

That seems very petty of you Paul. Even if you do disagree with his characterization of Bruch's concerto, why go out of your way to pick a fight over filler material? Is it not conceivable that someone has an opinion about that concerto which is different than yours? I personally find the concerto not unpleasant, but what do I know, I'm also a culturless oaf.

OK, I overreacted. Certainly it’s conceivable: if the writer had said “boring” or “horrible”, I would have had nothing to say; nor to your evaluation.

But “dour” is so bizarre that I’d better a couple of beers the writer has never heard the Concerto, or at least doesn’t remember it. Perhaps he thinks all pieces in a minor key are dour?

Actually, I thought most of the article was filler: the result wasn’t that surprising, since solo violin is very much a minority interest.

If he’d had Angel Romero playing Recuerdos and the usual lollipops and nobody had stopped, that would have surprised me more.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2014 17:16:43
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post