Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Great microphone deal   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gshaviv

Great microphone deal 

Just got my order of Rode NT5 stereo matched pair from proaudiodirect.com They sell it for $260 which is way less then other places (typically $400). My experience with them was good so I recomend them to anyone looking for a good mic (I have no relationship with them).

As for the mics themselves, they are great, really nice sound quality. Hard to believe in such a small mic.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 2 2005 22:51:31

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Great microphone deal (in reply to gshaviv

quote:

Just got my order of Rode NT5 stereo matched pair

Guy;

That sounds great! I have a Rode NT1-A and it is a great microphone. I have several other microphones to allow me to choose what I want to use to record in stereo. Stereo recording is the way to go!

What do you use for a pre amp? I am using the ART TPS dual pre amp. It does a fine job and does not cost much.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2005 1:04:05

gshaviv

RE: Great microphone deal (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

quote:

What do you use for a pre amp?

I have a Tascam US-122.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2005 3:01:27

flyeogh

Just a thought - I'm sure I'm not alone - I have a busy and full life - finding time to fit in practise is hard enough. I don't have time to look for all the components and their compatibility - pre amps. mics, etc. And I certainly have no interest in becoming an electronics wizard.

Is anyone selling a complete well balanced set up for the home PC user who wants good quality to help with practise and to create recordings to share (or simply boost the ego ).

Without time to study the subject in detail I might end up with several high quality components that are simply incompatible

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2005 9:03:31

koella

Why don't you choose which recordings you like best and ask that person what he uses?
Just a thought
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2005 10:45:11

gshaviv

RE: Great microphone deal (in reply to flyeogh

quote:

I don't have time...

That's the wrong attitude if you ask me. Yeah there are places that claim to sell you a complete solution and yeah you can find a recording you like and ask what equipement was used. But what was used for a specific recording may be right for that person and not for you, and what someone might claim is a complete system may be not realy be complete or adequate for you.

You may get from different people different advice, but without researching a bit the issue on your self, to at least know the principles and main parameters, how would you judge if the advice you got is good or not?

Same goes for everything else, like your flamenco practice, you may practice forever and not make the right progress. You need to do a little research to know what you can practice, what material is out there, and know enough to have the judgement if your practice is good for you or you need a change of direction.

If you go to the doctor and just get his advice without doing some research on your own, you are in for big trouble, trust me, I have enough stories to share.

My point is, you always need to do some research yourself so you are knowledgeable enough to the level you can judge if advice you get is good advice or its good for someone else. If you rely blindly on others to do all the work for you, you'll get screwed.

Google home recording and within 15 minutes you'll become knowledgable enough to know what type of equipement you need, its really not that difficult to do that research today. On any topic.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2005 23:27:32

Patrick

Try this

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=2160&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 0:32:10

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Great microphone deal (in reply to koella

You would also have to ask about the recording room and environment, the sound engineer used as well as the software. Just minor points!

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 2:01:53

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Great microphone deal (in reply to Patrick

Pat;

Has it really been two years since we did the Handbook?

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 2:04:37

Thomas Whiteley

quote:

I have a Tascam US-122.

Looks interesting!

Tom
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 2:09:21

flyeogh

quote:

That's the wrong attitude if you ask me

Guy there is nothing I would like more than to investigate the details but one has to be realistic. We live in a component world. There is not enough time to study everything at the 'basics' level (sadly but that's modern life). So we are only talking about component definition.

When I'm retired then it maybe different (I doubt it ) but for the moment family and work and a little sleep occupy most of my time. What is left I want to dedicate to flamenco guitar. I would rather pay a little more and simply plug it in -the cost of electronics being very little. But I appreciate the philosophy - if only my life would allow it - do you know of anyone selling time???

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 9:11:04

flyeogh

Patrick and Tom

Thanks. Last year I read the article and started to investigate options. I have gleened some basics and identified key issues. I then bought a microphone, some software (mostly free), a drum box, several metronomes, .... but still I only have a not ideal poor quality setup - and for the money I have spent I'm sure I could have bought a complete balanced setup and used more of my time with guitar in hand.

It is only for use in the home. To record myself for practise, to monitor improvement over time, to get used to backing loops, and to send recordings for critic to the foro. Sound Engineer Tom would he make the tea????

And while talking about 'no time' Tom and Guy - Where are the next handbooks?? Pull your fingers out Seriously they greatly improve understanding beyond simply offering more material options and are much appreciated.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 9:20:41

Patrick

quote:

Pat;

Has it really been two years since we did the Handbook?

I hate to say it old budy, but at our age, that seems like just last week!

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 17:11:22

Patrick

I have one of the new M-Audio 24-96 MicroTrack recorders due in a few weeks. I'll let you guys know what I think of it. This is the unit that Todd talked about a few weeks ago. It's been so hot, the dealers are selling out before they even get supplies. Mine is on back order.

It looks like a great unit for what a lot of us are looking for.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 17:17:30

Miguel de Maria

It's funny because, I really dislike my NT 3. It seems to give a tinny and harsh sound to whatever it records (or even live). But I hear such good things about the other products.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 17:44:42

Patrick

quote:

It's funny because, I really dislike my NT 3. It seems to give a tinny and harsh sound to whatever it records (or even live). But I hear such good things about the other products.

Have you tried other mics with your setup? It could be your preamp.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2005 17:56:36

Francisco

quote:

flyeogh
do you know of anyone selling time???

If there is such a person, they would be very rich!

This one looks like it's more in my price range. Do any of the experts in here have an opinion of this particular model, or is it one of those "just try it out and see" sort of things? Notice how the MSRP is slashed out, but is the same price as the listed price!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2005 14:29:58

Patrick

quote:

This one looks like it's more in my price range. Do any of the experts in here have an opinion of this particular model, or is it one of those "just try it out and see" sort of things? Notice how the MSRP is slashed out, but is the same price as the listed price!

Behringer makes some OK stuff. A lot of talk has gone on over the years how Behringer has no R&D department and just knocks off everyone else’s proven products at a deep discount. As to the validity of that, I have no idea.

Be aware that Pro Audio Direct is new and the web site has some issues. How about this one:

http://www.proaudiodirect.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=202

These are professional level mics that sell for about $4,000, not $249. I called them and of course wouldn't honor the $249 deal. Go figure.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2005 18:45:33
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post