Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Óscar Herrero   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

Óscar Herrero 

I've blown a couple of hundred dollars on the Óscar Herrero Flamenco Guitar Paso a Paso series - all the Soleá tapes and DVDs 1,2 & 3. Should keep me busy through this Winter.

I spent a couple of hours on rasgueados last night and seem to be making a little headway with the p(up)-x(down)-i(down) ras. I was using p(up)-m(down)-p(down) but I think the former will give me a little more speed and continuity.

My question is whether the former is also played as a "fan" in the same way or is there less wrist rotation with the three fingers?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2003 9:56:50

Patrick

RE: Óscar Herrero (in reply to Escribano

Simon,

The Herrero tapes and DVD's really are the standard for top material. I have done one and two and need to spend more time with three. Let us know what you think of the Solea tapes. I am sure they are quality.

As for the p x i, I play it as a fan and put a bit of wrist into it for emphasis at times. It is totally different from the PMP, which is almost all wrist rotation.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2003 16:32:53

Escribano

RE: Óscar Herrero (in reply to Patrick

quote:

Let us know what you think of the Solea tapes. I am sure they are quality.

As for the p x i, I play it as a fan and put a bit of wrist into it for emphasis at times.

I will, and thanks for advice, that is what I am finding naturally so I think I'll carry on with it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2003 16:38:50

Miguel de Maria

Simon, when you have played enough rasgeuos, I think you will naturally gravitate both towards the ones that you like and toward the correct way to play them. Just let your fingertips brush the strings, like Jerzy said. You don't need to muscle them. I have found that I like playing triplets with i up m down i down. Weird, huh? Seems to work fine.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2003 17:41:21

Ron.M

RE: Óscar Herrero (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Mike,
I love reading your posts, especially the great stuff you posted from Sevilla.
I'll be frank here! Any chance of posting a little audio?
I think I know you from your always interesting and thought provoking posts, but without hearing a little of where your head's at I'm at a bit of a loss sometimes as to how to reply!
Don't worry! Most of us here have embarrased ourselves by doing so!
It's a confessional! LOL!
And although it's embarrasing to ourselves, I personally have been pretty wowed out at
a lot of the stuff I've heard here.
And (surprisingly and very encouraging to me) others have spoke well of my few humble pathetic offerings!
As a picture is worth a thousand words then so is a sound clip.
I've heard stuff from Jim Opfer, Florian, Patrick, Phil, Andy, Merle, Simon etc etc.
It means that when I speak to you guys I can hear where you're coming from.
The sort of stuff that you enjoy playing and means something to you.
Sound samples are SO important in a forum like this.
We all live very different day to day lives, so as well as enjoying the great views of other members, that it's great to hear some playing as well.
Not to criticise etc, absolutely far from it, as I am no player myself, but at least to get to know the sort of falsetas and technique/sound that one is striving for.

Hope you know what I mean,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2003 20:59:33

Miguel de Maria

Yeah, Ron, I will. I don't expect to impress any of you guys, though! I'm moving right now and I'll put something down for you guys when I get a chance. :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2003 0:33:18

Miguel de Maria

Although... I do feel a little "called out" by your post, Ron. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but I sort of feel that maybe my ideas aren't as valuable unless I play at an expert level. I have only listened to a couple of sound posts on the site, myself, and they're not really that important to me. I don't like "you-know-who" any better than I would have if I had never listened to one of his plentitude of posts. If I want to hear someone play well, I put on a CD! I figure the forum is for sharing ideas and experiences. In my current stage, I have lots of ideas, every week a new theory. I suppose a lot of them sound kind of "new-agey" or "feel-goodey," but that's where I am right now. I hope that there are people who can read them with open minds, and either dismiss them or benefit from them without rejecting them because I don't have my own CD! I don't have access to a lot of other guitarists around here who are positively working on their abilities, and so I like to share with others--here on the forum. I benefit from other people's ephipanies and thoughts, because a lot of times the insights of the masters are completely useless to those at a lower level.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2003 20:36:48

Ron.M

Mike mi amigo,
Don't for God's sake feel "called out" or anything! LOL!
I was just trying to prod you a bit into some action if you were up for it!
What I was relating to is the fact that when I read a lot of names here, I can "hear" the sound that they are into. Like Florian, who loves the spacey, suspended, beautiful chords and fast picado, and Jim who likes lovely lyrical, quite traditional falsetas, Andy who has a liking for "Al Golpe" style Bulerias and cante accompanists etc etc
All this helps build up a picture of the person on the other end.
I'm always a little bit worried in case I offend you in any way with my replies in case I am over or under estimating your guitar experience or tastes.
It is absolute nonsense to think that you can't post anything until it's absolutely perfect!
My critique on that Buleria falseta I posted?
1. The general sound and composition is Northern European. Sure the timing fits, but you could play any rap tune you hear on the Radio to a Bulerias compas if you thought about it long enough. I doubt very much if El Carbonero would rate it worth anything!
2. The triplet finish to the first three compases is all wrong. No self-respecting Flamenco in Jerez would ever dream of playing it that way.

I can go on and on...but hey, it's not too bad for a Scotsman! LOL!
And hopefully I'm slowly getting there!

One of (the person who shall not be named)'s problems is that he is an utter perfectionist and is very loathe to let anybody hear his work unless produced under his own strict studio conditions.
Is this an asset?
I don't really think so.
This is something he will have to overcome if he really wants to eventually become a performer.
It's a bit like the kid in the garage practising his electric stuff and refusing to come out unless he can play at least as good as Stevie Vai, while his pal up the road is doing gigs and having a good time with his friends playing three chord numbers at the local church hall at weekend dances!
I'm sure Tomatito didn't lock himself away and refuse to let anyone hear him until his picado got at least comparable to Paco's.
So relax amigo, no judges here.
Only sympathetic strivers trying to work their way and help each other through the jungle.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2003 21:35:11

Patrick

Michael,

I don’t think Ron was singling you out at all. I believe I speak for all of us, that your recent posts have been very enjoyable to read, both entertaining and educational. I know for a fact, Ron was not placing a value judgment on the merit of your post with how well you play. I for one am in the same camp as Ron. I believe it to be of great value to hear each of us play. That’s one reason that Tom W. and I spent weeks and weeks putting together a recording tutorial; to bring us all the tools to be able to post.

I personally place no judgment on audio post on this or any other forum. These post give us a great insight into the style of flamenco each of us enjoy playing. As Ron said, “when he speaks to us, he can hear where we are coming from”.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to all of the post on the forum. I think it’s one of the bridges that tie us all together. I find it a bit ironic that about the time Tom and I posted our tutorial the number of audio post have actually gone down! Go figure.

So Michael, please don’t take any of this personal and keep those cards and letters coming. If you never post a clip, I will still read your post with great interest, but man we really do want to hear some of those great licks that you learned in Spain.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2003 21:38:32

TANúñez

Now I feel like a flamenco ghost as I have never posted audio. Truth is I don't have any recording equipment. I've been really concentrating on my building that my playing has taken a back seat.

Everytime I get ready to go the a music shop and splurge a little on some recording equipment, I end up buying wood or some tools for the shop.

And Ron, you lied! "Not to criticise etc, absolutely far from it, as I am no player myself"

Your an amazing guitarist . I would give up a lot to have an ounce of that talent.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 4:08:45

Florian

I can tell allready Michael is a good guitarist.

i can tell by the way he speaks, and the way he is able to stand back reconise what part of his technique is good what part needs attention (a very good exercise ). I do think he is a perfectionist (is the feeling i get ).
I have always found myself enjoying and agreeing with his posts and would also love to hear your stuff Michael.

This (below) is nothing to do with you Michael, I was just too lazy to make another post.

Hey sometimes i get an idea record something at 3 am at night thinking that is really really good i post it, than i wake up listen to it again and think to myself " what the hell was i thinking " lol but this way I was able to make up some of my own falsetas witch i love and can proudly say that they are mine (If i catch anyone stealing them il cut you !! ) hehe.

My abition is to play all my own stuff, i am so sick of telling other peoples storyes I am sure that if i look deep enough I have something to say too :)

right now i only have about 15 minutes worth of music to say but next year i will have 30 minutes !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 7:48:17

Ron.M

RE: Óscar Herrero (in reply to TANúñez

Zurdo,
Thanks for your kind words, but the real guitarists are Jon, Jim, Florian and the others who go out and actually play for audiences!
I merely play around with the guitar. Just bits and pieces of things.
I don't play picado or tremelo. Just some rasgueados, arpegio and thumb.
But I find that's certainly enough to be getting on with at the moment. LOL!
I'm not a "natural rhythm" person unfortunately, so I've been concentrating on this over the past two years. A lot of work, just playing compas for hours and hours on end.
Also I find the music, even the easier stuff, is very difficult. It's very difficult to "hear" a lot of things the way say a Jerez guitarist would. I tend to put accents and grace notes in where they wouldn't and leave them out where they would use them!!
That's why I think listening is such an important part of practise.
Sometimes you can resolve a problem just in your head just walking down the street humming a falseta to yourself.
I must say, old Todd's been in a help, not in technique, but he's got a great pair of ears and can spot a problem at 100yds!
Getting a tape recorder was the best thing I ever did, as I can hear all the timing errors and crappy phrasing and fluffs that I never hear when I'm actually playing! LOL!
Also being able to post something when I feel I've made some sort of breakthrough on something is great as it makes me work at it until I've got it better than I'd normally do just playing for myself. So that gives me a bit of discipline, which is good.
But thanks again Tom, and to everyone else for the encouraging remarks as at least I feel I must be getting something right!!
Why did we choose such a difficult music to study? We definitely must all be mad.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 11:32:23

Florian

Ron I love the stuff you play !!! and you are really good at it, your tangos falseta is full of aire, I liked it so much I used some of it twice ( u will see what i mean ).
I dont care how modest you wanna be , in my eyes you are a greate guitarist.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 12:21:26

Escribano

quote:

I personally place no judgment on audio post on this or any other forum

That's a relief.

People can treat this forum any way they like as long as they stick to the terms. So don't feel obliged to post. I only ever get one or two comments on my audio samples; people are just too polite to let rip (bless 'em), so they stay quiet.

When I am asking for advice from you more experienced players, I think it helps to hear where I am after a year, but that's just me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 12:40:41

Escribano

RE: Óscar Herrero (in reply to Ron.M

That's what put me off TK for a long while, he could only judge people's posts (on any subject) after he had heard them play (daft!).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 12:42:08

Escribano

RE: Óscar Herrero (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

but the real guitarists...

Hey, I'm a real guitarist, just not an accomplished one

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 12:43:58

Miguel de Maria

Ron, sorry to unload on you like that, but I just got a bad feeling from the post. Glad it was just a misunderstanding. I've always enjoyed your posts. Group hug!

I think this is a good forum, although the controlled entry has resulted in a small membership, it's almost like friends hanging out and watching the football (or soccer) game, as opposed to this distant feeling I get when reading some other forums. It's a very comfortable place, and a great service Simon is offering to us. So, Simon, I think your playing is awesome!

It is funny that sometimes we judge ourselves--if not inaccurately, at least differently than others would. For example, Ron is pretty harsh on himself, but the attention to detail he pays to his bulerias and tangos is incredible! Of course it's going to sound good, and it does. That's the key. My focus is a bit different... I practice a lot of picado and a good amount of tremolo. I have rather high standards for my own playing and it will be very difficult for me to post something unless it's at least passable--but I am working on something to post. Another thing is that my current rep. doesn't necessarily reflect what I like. It's just what I've learned.

I do intend to perfect some of the falsetas I learned in Spain and post them as a public service! But don't hold your breath, everyone, if you want to hear some good falsetas you just have to put on a CD. You scan through them to find ones that don't have fast picado, then you slow that down and learn it note by note. That's what I do!! Amor (of a brotherly nature) to all!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 15:16:42

Escribano

quote:

the controlled entry has resulted in a small membership

Wouldn't be so sure, we have 60 members, of whom 35 have posted, others read. You would be surprised how many bogus applications I get from throwaway addresses. You have to ask yourself, how many English-speaking Internet-savvy folks there are out there that actually want to join a Flamenco forum.

quote:

Simon, I think your playing is awesome!

Let's not get carried away.

Hug.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2003 17:57:47
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages