Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

a real keeper   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

pink

a real keeper 

Its real hard isn't it, wanting something.
Guitars....they just seem to queue up don't they? '' Me'',''Me'', ''Me'', ''Me'', ''Me'', they're shouting....never seen any one of my short list in the flesh but by Jupiter they're all there ,nipping, calling ,making you salivate and the short list keeps getting longer!!

I'm hoping to be in a position to treat myself to a new ''best friend'' in the next few weeks....if all goes well/to plan . I've decided to get the ball rolling and start really looking (as a couple of foro members will know, having been bombarded by my ''immediate answer'' questioning obsession!!

This purchase is a real big deal for me....its still not 100% definite ,has taken some serious cuts elsewhere in my life, and will, I'm hoping ,be a guitar to keep for life.....I am wanting to make this a real keeper.
I've been considering individually made ,luthier instruments over everything else....I'd like to own a piece of someones passion for something that has become one of my passions. I'm not desperate for new but am desperate for something that I can call mine. I'm not a wealthy fellow ,so can't really afford anything/everything... hence used is a real big option and the most likely step forward apart from a couple makers I've contacted already who make glorious guitars at a price that's achievable for me.

I'm not really sure why I've started this post....I want to share the process with strangers who know, who I hope give a toss and I guess are interested in the outcome.
Would be keen to know what you guys have done and/or will be happy to go through in your quests for the perfect guitar ( if that exists)
?

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 19:44:58

Escribano

RE: a real keeper (in reply to pink

quote:

Would be keen to know what you guys have done and/or will be happy to go through in your quests for the perfect guitar ( if that exists) ?

I got Anders to build me my snow queen and it came out just great.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 19:47:05

tele

RE: a real keeper (in reply to Escribano

It's called GAS(gear acquisition syndrome) by electric guitar players, here's some thoughts on it;
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/7-stages-of-gear-acquisition-syndrome-585947/

I got it ever since I started playing guitar in 2002. It's a beast many can't kill...
It's much worse in electric guitar players as there's much more to buy.
In flamenco a good negra and a good blanca is enough I think but sure there's always interest in something new or different.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 19:56:04

mark indigo

I've never been able to afford more than one guitar at a time until recently when I have ended up with 5
Have sold one now, and got another for sale. There might be something else lurking in a case that I don't know how to get rid of....
I just can't justify having guitars sat in cases, and I can only play one at a time!
I have an old worthless beater (Yamaha classical I bought 2nd hand over 20 years ago) that I couldn't sell if I wanted to, and a cheap travel guitar
(bottom of the range Valeriano Bernal - actually amazing guitar for the price).

Buying guitars is tricky, especially buying flamenco guitars in the UK, where there is not much to choose from, not much to compare to, very few makers, and very few experienced players for help and guidance.

I have a friend a generation older than me who has been playing flamenco since about 1970. He has owned Conde, Reyes, Ramirez, Gerundino, Jose Lopez Bellido, etc. etc.

His advice? That he would not buy a new guitar even from a maker with a good reputation, because you never know how it will open up or develop, so buy second hand so [Edit] someone else has already found out for you.
That you have to try the guitar therefore goes without saying, try it out, play it, check the neck, frets etc.
The other thing he says is to buy something that you can resell if you decide you don't like it so much after a year or so. That means get something with one of those names listed above on the label!
Unfortunately that also means that non-Spanish makers are at a disadvantage according to this advice. Which is a shame, because I think it should be about the sound and feel of the instrument, not the name on the label.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 20:32:56

mark indigo

btw have you seen the guitars they've got in at Kent Guitar Classics at the moment?

a Lester DeVoe, a Conde Hermanos - Domingo Esteso 1915 re-edition (which they've had for ages), an Arcangel Fernandez from 1958 and TWO Manuel Reyes.
Edit: Also two Antonio Marin Montero's

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 20:35:40

tri7/5

RE: a real keeper (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

btw have you seen the guitars they've got in at Kent Guitar Classics at the moment?

a Lester DeVoe, a Conde Hermanos - Domingo Esteso 1915 re-edition (which they've had for ages), an Arcangel Fernandez from 1958 and TWO Manuel Reyes.

An '89 Reyes to boot, that thing will bring some money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 20:41:24

Leñador

I don't have this problem so much...Even in my electric days, I have two electrics. One specializes in Metal the other an "all around" electric. I've got 4 pedals and a half stack. Once I acquired these I never really yearned for more, or newer, or better. I'd swap p/ups on my guitars here and there but that's about it.

As for flamenco, they're just too expensive for me to even consider starting some sort of collection.......I have my Valencia special that Vasquez set up and a cheap nylon cutaway beater for the beach...........

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 20:46:27

Erik van Goch

quote:

I have a friend a generation older than me who has been playing flamenco since about 1970. He has owned Conde, Reyes, Ramirez, Gerundino, Jose Lopez Bellido, etc. etc.

His advice? That he would not buy a new guitar even from a maker with a good reputation, because you never know how it will open up or develop, so buy second hand so [Edit] someone else has already found out for you.
That you have to try the guitar therefore goes without saying, try it out, play it, check the neck, frets etc.
The other thing he says is to buy something that you can resell if you decide you don't like it so much after a year or so. That means get something with one of those names listed above on the label!
Unfortunately that also means that non-Spanish makers are at a disadvantage according to this advice. Which is a shame, because I think it should be about the sound and feel of the instrument, not the name on the label.

That's basically how i look at is as well. Judging guitars is pretty difficult. My father bought himself a very cheap Vicente Sanchis model 25 a couple of years ago in order to use it with extremely low action (his hands needed a very hand friendly guitar and he didn't want to risk his hand friendly Ramirez). It turned out to be a very nice playing guitar, not the best sound but pleasantly playing. Then it wend to my brother for a couple of months and recently it was returned to my father and seemed to be a totally different guitar, dull as dull can be and a real pain for the hands ass well..... last august i would not have given a dime for that guitar.

Last Christmas he handed me the guitar again after he gave it some professional love and attention (new strings, lowered action, polished, well played). It had regained it's old sound and hand wise played like a dream. As a matter of fact it totally outplayed both my Ramirez and my Conde...... obviously it's brand new strings outclassed the old ones i played myself and the action was way to low to give an honest comparison, but if i had to give a concert right then i would pick it over my own guitars. Both my Conde and my Ramirez can be wonderful...but they can also be a pain in the ass. It's a shame the action of my fathers guitar was to low because it would be a dream if guitars could feel like that always...one passage i struggle to play ever since i composed it (it's hand killing) came out like never before and for the first time ever with a painless left hand. Also for the second time in 20 years my father gave me a compliment for my left hand.
One thing that leaves to be investigated is its scale.... 64 cm seems to fit my hands very well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 21:37:00

aeolus

Lay down; put a cold towel on your forehead; clear your mind of all distractions; try deep breathing. You are having a GAS attack and if you keep calm it will pass.

GAS Anonymous
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 21:37:47

pink

Gonna add a bit more.....
I am a time served ,totally addicted guitar/amp obsessor.......electric stuff and acoustic steel string.Have played for a long time in semi pro bands and have a good workable collection of guitars amps cabs pedals etc but the flamenco bug is now 18 month old,well and truly established and needs to be addressed with a real find for me.
I love this music ,which has rekindled a passion for guitar in me in a way that I thought could never again be a part of who I am ,period......with his being so apparent to me on a daily basis the new wood has to be part of it( honest it does!!)

By way of contenders....Kevin Richards are at the top of my list.....most beautiful
looking and sounding instruments so a trip his way in the next few weeks is going to have to happen. I would also love to look at an Anders Eliasson guitar too so am hoping to find one used....a tall order but still a hope!

Not sure what else....S Eden guitars....a friend has one and wow what a joy.....even if it is a left hooker!!

Anyway ....?

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 21:39:06

aeolus

Come on...it was just last month or so you were bidding us fond adieu as you were tossing in the towel on playing flamenco. Not making any progress. So clearly a new guitar is the answer to rekindle enthusiasm. Good luck with that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 21:50:00

pink

RE: a real keeper (in reply to aeolus

Tossing in the towel no.....pulling back having lost my flamenco mojo yes.
For better or worse the stringed beast is in my blood as it is yours and many of our fellow members here my friend.....frustration with our own inability is a by product of wanting to be better which I do want to be....passion .....your classical passion is cool,a wonderful thing ,I can respect you for yours.....the process of me gaining a physical reward for my apparent transparity is not where I'm coming from but , if you would like to label it as that then fine......don't forget we all crave acceptance of who we are....you too wanted to go and I remember pm' ing you saying you were wrong to leave...I like your input ...but sometimes you end up using it against yourself.... Stop.....
Anyways back to the point please!

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 22:18:18

aeolus

I have had a love affair with the nylon string guitar for over 60 years. Unfortunately the guitar did not love me back. No problem I am satisfied with whatever crumbs i get. But I well know the symptoms of GAS and it leads to financial pain. In fact just now I was on the verge of contacting a Canadian luthier about a new guitar. His claro walnut/cedar Hauser based model seems irresistible. I am positive if I had that guitar it would open up a whole new avenue of accomplishment. But reason intervened and I will sleep on it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 22:33:47

pink

I understand stepping back and sleeping on things....we all have commitments no?
Circumstances are personal to us all as are our choices as to when and why.
I'm looking forward to a new guitar....further justification is neither necessary or going to be forthcoming, I think I've said enough in my posts above already.

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 22:45:56

Ruphus

RE: a real keeper (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik van Goch
One thing that leaves to be investigated is its scale.... 64 cm seems to fit my hands very well.

Even though without practical experience, yet convinced that standard measures are not too ergonomical for average size folks, I asked for 64 cm scale length.
Because of difficulties regarding transport the guitar is still not in my hands, but the flamenco playing builder discovered with pleasure that this scale fits himself like a glove.

I could think of scales shorter than 65 cm to be increasing their part in the range of guitars.

With the community´s very limited experience outside of standard measures, shorter scales are being said to be a disadvantage in terms of reselling ( through advertisings at least), but I guess that might be changing.

Moreover, I suppose there will be a time when folks will learn which proportions, including spacings, suit them individually best. Like with other disciplines tools, like skiing, running, etc.

... And factories could develop sizes with individual scales length and spacings for at least S, M, and L, from maybe 165 cm to 190 tall or so.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2014 23:36:34

aeolus

RE: a real keeper (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

Because of difficulties regarding transport the guitar is still not in my hands, but the flamenco playing builder discovered with pleasure that this scale fits himself like a glove.

That doesn't really tell you anything about what your experience will be.
I ordered a classical from a Brazilian builder Sergio Abreu but I had to order it through his US agent and I requested a 650 scale and after I received it and began playing it i discovered it was 640. I noticed it because the frets up toward the body of the guitar were closer together than I was accustomed to. I felt uncomfortable with that and sold it but it wasn't really that big a deal and now I wish I had kept it as it was a nice guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 15:10:02

Erik van Goch

RE: a real keeper (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik van Goch

Even though without practical experience, yet convinced that standard measures are not too ergonomical for average size folks, I asked for 64 cm scale length.
Because of difficulties regarding transport the guitar is still not in my hands, but the flamenco playing builder discovered with pleasure that this scale fits himself like a glove.......

.....Moreover, I suppose there will be a time when folks will learn which proportions, including spacings, suit them individually best. Like with other disciplines tools, like skiing, running, etc.

I would love to be able to experience with both scale and spacings. I tend to believe i would very much love the smaller spacings preferred by Vicente. My conde has crap spacings, strongly varying from string to string...... 3 neighboring strings ended up being a bit closer to each other as usual and that part seems to fit me like a glove as well. When i use those measures to calculate a full set of strings i end up around the spacing Vicente is said to use. So i seem to prefer both a smaller guitar and smaller spacing. I did ask a local but fabulous lute/vihuela constructor if the crap spacing of my Conde could be altered to those measures, but he claimed re-drilling the holes was out of his reach. Replacing the bridge for a new one wasn't his cup of tea as well (maybe he considered it risky to replace a bridge on a guitar constructed by someone else). I still hope to deal with that Conde 1 day, replacing the precent spacings for the smaller ones i think i will like.
I hope to try it out with a specially prepared bridgebone, guiding/forcing the strings to adapt that spacing....when i like it i somehow deal with that badly drilled bridge itself.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 16:27:33

flamencositar

This is my guitar buying process:
I argue and debate with myself for years before I decide on what guitar/instrument I want. Painful process... Try this one, research that one, talk to that builder or that pro... Teacher loves this type of guitar, man Paco rocks on that guitar, and that old Gitano I ran into on one my visits to Spain. He was killing it on a broom handle with a rubber band and no nails to boot.

And here is what I have come up with for the perfect guitar; A guitar that has the following builder's attributes:
Conde, Anders, CulPepper, Reyes, Castillo, old school Ramirez, Sobrinos, a dash of Navarro, maybe a Sanchis flavoring, Blackshear salting, some of the Granada builders, some Devoe love, and whole host of others that I am forgetting. If I can just get that into one blanca that some how transforms into a negra, with an alternating scale from 655 to 660+, alternating cedar/spruce top, the holy grail will be found and I can finally rest until the next round.....

Still the body, quiet the mind, free the soul
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 18:52:24

pink

RE: a real keeper (in reply to flamencositar

quote:

ORIGINAL: flamencositar

And here is what I have come up with for the perfect guitar; A guitar that has the following builder's attributes:
Conde, Anders, CulPepper, Reyes, Castillo, old school Ramirez, Sobrinos, a dash of Navarro, maybe a Sanchis flavoring, Blackshear salting, some of the Granada builders, some Devoe love, and whole host of others that I am forgetting. If I can just get that into one blanca that some how transforms into a negra, with an alternating scale from 655 to 660+, alternating cedar/spruce top, the holy grail will be found and I can finally rest until the next round.....

I reckon I'll have me a slice of that sweet guitar pie too!!

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 19:53:36

aeolus

Ignoring my own advice I fell victim to a severe case of GAS and placed an order from a luthier in the west coast of Canada.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 20:44:01

pink

More pics please.

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 21:30:32

aeolus

quote:

More pics please.

That's all I have from his web site on that model. He won't start work on it for 8 to 10 months and until then no more pics.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 21:44:36

pink

Keep us informed won't you?!

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2014 22:10:37

pink

The search is over!!

Kevin Richards No 32 Flamenco Cedar Blanca.
Western Red Cedar top
Spanish Cypress back/sides
Brazilian Cedar neck
African Ebony fingerboard
Indian Rosewood headplate
Indian Rosewood bindings
Indian Rosewood bridge
655mm scale length
Rubner tuners
French Polish finish

Absolutely beautiful guitar.....just superb. The skill Kevin has as a luthier is just staggering.
This guitar is as light as a feather,has a volume, resonance and playability about it which I though I'd never be fortunate enough to experience ,let alone be able to afford and is the product of a ''passion'' which is so apparent when you meet the guitars creator in person! Not only have I been lucky enough to buy the guitar of my dreams but also make a new friend of the man who built it.
Thank you Kevin....I'm a very happy man!

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2014 23:30:58

krichards

Giles
That's a very generous endorsement. Many thanks.

The most important thing for me is that no 32 has gone to someone who will play it and value it.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2014 8:15:46

mark indigo

quote:

The search is over!!

congratulations! glad you found something.... when can I have a go on it?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2014 9:04:13

Ruphus

Sounds like a real treat to say the least.
Congratulations for the new baby, and shall it be a constant pleasure which supports health when the beauty effects the senses and body.

- Just yesterday been telling my guitar student of what you gain for life with the passion of guitar playing. Through the pleasure of sonority.
Don´t know where I would be without it.

Anyway, Pink, good for you. Nice to hear about ecstasy!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2014 10:46:27

Graham_B

Congratulations pink

Based on my son's experiences with his two 'Kevin' guitars you won't be disappointed.

Fantastic value guitars and priceless friendship
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2014 11:16:10

pink

RE: a real keeper (in reply to krichards

quote:

ORIGINAL: krichards

Giles
That's a very generous endorsement. Many thanks.

The most important thing for me is that no 32 has gone to someone who will play it and value it.

Its priceless already and is very hard to put down.....joy!!

Very best to you Kevin

G
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2014 11:44:37

pink

quote:

quote:

The search is over!!

congratulations! glad you found something.... when can I have a go on it?

Will drive over to see you in February some time......shall PM you in the next few days.
Hope all well.

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2014 11:47:42
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message