Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

dax johnson a search for significance   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rickm

dax johnson a search for significance 

anyone want to earn a couple bucks and transcribe this for me? obviously you would have to get the sheet music I do have a link for it for four bucks. I don't want the whole thing just the beginning couple lines would be good, probably about two pages worth. I know its not flamenco but it is so compelling I really want to play it. No I cant read a single note of music. I know - stupid

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2013 21:39:44

guitarbuddha

RE: dax johnson a search for signifi... (in reply to rickm

Why not play it by ear ?

There is very little to it.

I am not trying to be mean, really I am not but youll learn so much and it is all easily singable.

If you can sing it you can find it. And there is only a blood simple tune (mostly derivative of Asturias with a bit of Nothing Else Matters and The Priest from Last of the Mohicans) and a really clear bass line with very few notes.

Get on with it !!!!

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2013 23:25:28

Sr. Martins

Reading rhythms might be tricky and take some effort but I can't believe someone can't figure out how to extract the notes from a staff.

That's just being lazy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2013 23:29:54

n85ae

He suggested he'd be willing to pay somebody, so I don't see why you need to be
critical. I mean really ...

Regards,
Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 2:23:17

guitarbuddha

RE: dax johnson a search for signifi... (in reply to n85ae

quote:

ORIGINAL: n85ae

He suggested he'd be willing to pay somebody, so I don't see why you need to be
critical. I mean really ...

Regards,
Jeff

I know it seems like that Jeff but I meant well and I am sure Rui did also.

It's like that old thing 'Give a man a fish.......'

We all have a fishing rod (our ears), and if you are sitting by a stream full of juicy fish.....why not dip it in the water. You will only get better with the rod.

And there are no fish so fresh and delicious as the ones you catch yourself.

Fry in lightly salted butter dust with fresh ground pepper.

Now you might want an expert with a bigger rod and more experience to bring in a prize Marlin for you, but even then you want him sitting next to you offering encouragement and advice right up to the point where he needs to take over.

But a sardine you can probably handle well enough, and it will taste better. Or you can cut it loose and go for bigger fish the next day.

If you call a fishmonger and say 'I see this fish I'd sure like you to catch it....' Well he'll tell you he's got one in the fridge just like it. And he probably has too.

(I really need to trim my analogies, the first line would probably have sufficed)

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 9:13:09

rickm

well in my defense if possible, I am a old man while not a serious impediment to learning music I doubt the old pony is going to learn any new tricks real soon. Somedays Im happy to find the car keys.
I managed to eek out a fair transcription of the stones and van halen and most flamenco, but classical I think and this score depicts that is full of subtleties and nuances that would probably in most cases be missed. The internet is full of misinterpretated music.
In order to do justice to the piece I think it should be played, not according to the frail ear of a old man but as written by the artist to realize the full bouguet
I find no harm in the comments as there in them is a truism. Lazy ? perhaps but also realizing that I am a bumbling old man when it comes to music and a lot of you are talented, proficient and have a sense of how the music should go. All past my ability.
So, indulge me or condemn me, but the offer stands.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 13:52:06

Sr. Martins

Maybe what you're asking for is an arrangement for guitar with some parts simplified.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 14:41:33

guitarbuddha

RE: dax johnson a search for signifi... (in reply to Sr. Martins

Check out your local jazz guitar teachers they will surely be able to help you. (kinda like the guy who sits beside you fishing). An experienced classical player or teacher might be able to help.

If you lived near me I would be glad to go through it with you and work on an arrangement. And it would be based on your current technique and in a key you were comfortable with and all that.

But it is way too much work and time at a distance and I still wouldn't be able to teach you how to play it.

Noone is criticising you we are just trying to offer advice.

Also noone wants to rob you. If I wanted to do that I would put the score into guitar pro and send it to you. Still someone might yet.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 14:56:02

rickm

ok ill check around locally thanks guys
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 15:30:04

n85ae

Rick I saw at least one transcription of "Rain" floating around out there on guitar,
that's another nice piece. Oh, and thanks for mentioning Dax Johnson, I really like
his music. Your post was the first I ever heard of him! Search for it on youtube.com

David - I got the analogy, I just also got Rick's just wanting the music part also
so you know me ... :)

Regards,
Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2013 21:32:33

rickm

he did quite a few nice pieces I think there is a album floating around someplace. he died in 2005 at age 30. Thanks for picking it up jeff its great to keep great music alive
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2013 1:11:50

n85ae

Several albums, they're available through Amazon.com just search "Dax Johnson"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2013 2:25:12

n85ae

Here's a nice blog read about him:

http://davidnevue.blogspot.com/2005/11/in-memory-of-dax-johnson.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2013 2:56:17

rickm

not to prostelize but it shows that greatness is all around you. You don't need to win a grammy open at the roxie or even get rich. In the humblest of men you find wonderment. that is what is actually so great about this forum, young people keeping the music of flamenco alive. It is truly wonderful when you think of it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2013 17:31:05
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post