Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Why is everyone so fussy????   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

bursche

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to mezzo

If you play a lot, you play a lot. if not, you become fussy.

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2013 19:36:36

Grisha

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 5 2013 22:44:34
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2013 19:37:30

mark indigo

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I recommend, to get more life, take the strings off when they get dull and flip em around

I've been doing this for years. With other brands it's less, but with D'Addario I reckon I get around 3-4 weeks and then after I turn them round (basses only) another 1-2 weeks.

Another thing is I wind as much string as possible onto the tuners really neatly (yeah, fussy! ) so that section of string isn't kinked or damaged. That means I get a whole "new" unplayed section of string under my right hand when I turn 'em round.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2013 20:51:12

Doitsujin

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to bursche

quote:

Why is everyone so fussy???? 

You asked you get the answer. Because this place is floded with boring d i c k h e a d s who are born with a huge stick in their a s s e s! PERIOD

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2013 22:35:11

davidheis_24

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

quote:

You asked you get the answer. Because this place is floded with boring d i c k h e a d s who are born with a huge stick in their a s s e s! PERIOD

can admins install a like button please, one would come in handy right now
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2013 22:40:55

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

THat quote belongs in a museum!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 6:58:28

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

If you lie on the floor you can't fall down.
I am not sure getting off the fence to lie on the floor is really stepping up.

Yours tediously

A Worm in a polo neck.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 7:52:43

Miguel de Maria

Ricardo, the strings sound okay to us geezers and not to the young'uns, but it's not because of ph, my man!

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Hearing-degradation-with-age-m2256386.aspx

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 14:15:43

Ricardo

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

Ricardo, the strings sound okay to us geezers and not to the young'uns, but it's not because of ph, my man!

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Hearing-degradation-with-age-m2256386.aspx

Haha .....no.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 15:17:52

BarkellWH

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Miguel,

Marta and I are departing Washington, DC tomorrow (Monday)and flying to Phoenix, where we will rent a car and drive to Tucson to spend a few days. Then we will drive to Flagstaff for a few days of enjoying the Fall leaves turning color (especially the quaking aspen, which look like liquid gold when they turn!). After Flagstaff, we will drive to Tempe where we will stay at the Tempe Mission Palms October 20-24, returning to Washington, DC October 25.

Please PM me a telephone No. where I can reach you, and let's try to get together for lunch or dinner, or at least a drink. I seem to recall you mentioned you had a gig at Lon's at the Hermosa Inn in Paradise Valley. Are you still playing there, or anywhere else where we might catch your show?

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 15:46:22

Bulerias2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

The only thing I am fussy about is changing strings -- since I play so much, and sometimes on the rougher side, I prefer to change strings once every three weeks or so (sometimes more often). Otherwise, the response starts to dull and I just get frustrated with the sound.

I noticed this too when I was in my 20's to early 30's, and the same deal with the guys I play with in that age range. Somewhere around 35 or so this thing slows down (ph in the fingers or whatever) and strings last longer. Trust me, it's weird but true. I recommend, to get more life, take the strings off when they get dull and flip em around or put em back on slightly pulled toward the bridge side so the worn down spots are off center from the frets. Strings sound like new for a couple days. You can keep doing that till they break or you run out of string length and get some more life out of em.

ricardo

Wow, that's so cool! Damn pH levels. :P Thanks for the tips, too, I'll be sure to try that!

Daniel Volovets
Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, & Latin-American Guitar
http://www.danielvolovets.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 17:16:45

Grisha

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 7 2013 1:49:33
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 19:37:30

Sr. Martins

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 20:00:21

Doitsujin

quote:

Because of respect..I wont show that cite ;).

haha Yes! ^^

Guitarbudda.. Im not getting that... Are you mad about that joke? ...You know me...its all fun...to get some movement and more passion back in the foro.

PS.. weird that I have to explain.. so you are REALLY A BUNCH OF BORING SACKS!

PPS.. with stick in the a s s.

PPPS. A long one

PPPPS. huge diameter

PPPPPS. with many branches!

PPPPPPS. and with the bottom first!!

PPPPPPPS. :P

PPPPPPPPS. Dont joke back.. its only funny if the crappy immature humore accumulates in the posts of one guy... And dont try to be mature and teach me manners... its hopeless believe me.. I am just like that.. :/ I know..thats sad.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2013 22:02:40

Leñador

quote:

Thanks Doit for clearing things up. Perfect answer to this unimportant and irrelevant question. Who needs to change strings, set up action and file nails. Who cares how the plucked string will sound. Over and out.

Wow, hit a nerve lol I think you missed my point entirely though......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 1:27:02

Grisha

Yes, I probably did miss the point. I regret posting that, which is my usual state nowadays anyway.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 2:03:11

Leñador

It was more in reference to people who spend more time buying gimmicks and polishing their guitar then playing. I think it was just my frustration with my Neighbour spilling over into the forum lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 4:31:52

mark indigo

quote:

quote:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 8:57:00

estebanana

quote:

Care to explain this?

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 12:38:07

z6

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to estebanana

I expect he missed the umlaut, and meant flöded, a bastardization of the Swedish 'to flow'. (I don't know the Swedish for 'umlaut' though.)

'Flooded' would have been pajorative. And as we're all pals, but by way of all being compulsives, are endowd with the said sticks up buttcracks, which sometimes become invisible, or even hypercool, thus we take to brandishing our sticks at the forest, he must have meant the place is flowing with yummy stuff.

Files and glue and pussying around is sometimes part of the battle for mere mortals.

Don't discourage all the string (etc,) looniness. One day I might not like mine in-tune, slippery and cheap and have to visit where people give a rat's a r s e.

I even heard of people that stick great gaping (extra) holes in their guitars, and they profess sanity.

Everyone knows that if your guitar can beam traffic-cone orange, all fusiness is dispelled.

This is a cue for Stephen to link to the one extra-holed guitar design, I've seen, that has a future.

(I do not have a puro-orange guitar but expect my ability to increase by magnitues if I ever own one. And if I can find the right string combo.)

Anyway, without compulsion there's no guitar getting learned, much less flamenco. Try playing without being 'fussy' about the beat, or about sounding suitable tones.

Sometimes it spills over and we find out that someone sells arm socks that really do make a difference to someone who is not you and has a different stick than yours ensconsed in 'his' fussy little bunghole.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 15:19:04

Sr. Martins

Everyone is talking about the stick but I dont see anyone grabing it and playing some juicy bulerias.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 15:25:26

Arash

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Sr. Martins

speaking of sticks in the butt and similar issues (and no, i am not joking): once i bought a used cheap guitar at ebay and once i took it out of the case, it smelled as if the previous owner had repeatedly scratched his unwashed butt crack then played the guitar the whole time. It smelled like old wet fart (don't know how to describe it better).

I cleaned that guitar several times and after that took a shower just to feel clean myself again.

So yes i was "fussy" that day about cleaning guitars.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 19:04:57

Leñador

LOL that's hilarious! Did you contact the seller? What could cause this????

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 19:41:23

Ruphus

... Maybe mislead parentship?

Once I was invited by a young couple for an afternoon coffee when their son came running into the kitchen and touched me in the face.
A very bad small came up then. So bad that I ran into the bathroom to wash my face several times.
Back in the kitchen my somewhat unnerved inquiry confirmed that they let the kid play with its own feces.

I recall Piaget´s observation according to which kids have a natural drive to play with mouldable ( and warm ) material, and apparently some people believe such insight made it necessary to let the kids play with ****. As if there weren´t available passable alternatives like clay or plasticine.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 20:55:00

Leñador

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????????
Those parents should be locked up! Even your own feces is loaded with crap(pardon the pun) that can be very harmful. Even if not though it's just repulsive behavior.............ugh, what the F is wrong with people.....................

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 21:00:56

Doitsujin

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Arash

quote:

speaking of sticks in the butt and similar issues (and no, i am not joking): once i bought a used cheap guitar at ebay and once i took it out of the case, it smelled as if the previous owner had repeatedly scratched his unwashed butt crack then played the guitar the whole time. It smelled like old wet fart (don't know how to describe it better).

I cleaned that guitar several times and after that took a shower just to feel clean myself again.

So yes i was "fussy" that day about cleaning guitars.

Oo... omg.. it was surely "used" XD

P.S. Grisha dont regret anything. See the entertainment value! :) Nothing wrong. This place is still in the internet... though.. .. btw you never said anything ;)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 21:02:12

Doitsujin

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Care to explain this?

uhmm

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 21:09:42

Mark2

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Leñador

I've observed that there are guys who are obsessed with the idea of playing and they are the guys who have, or have had, a bunch of guitars, tried all the strings, stools, tuners, polishes, etc, and don't always play all that well.

Then there are guys who also obsess over what seem like trivial details, but THOSE guys are also really particular about their sound, their action, their intonation, the smallest details of their playing, and those characters are often really really good players.

There are guys who can play the crap out of a guitar for years and it's still spotless and cretins like me who have dropped guitars on the street, had them knocked off stands by waitresses, never polish them, let other players use them, and whose guitars look like they have been through WWIII. Some of those guys play well too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lenador

I feel like I'm in the minority here so I'm probably going to get an earful for this but I feel like everyone is too fussy about their guitars. Experimenting with a million different strings. Using all kinds of fancy cleaning and polishing products. Playing accessories like sleeves, towels, stands. Exercise equipment?? I don't get it.....I understand rehab for an injury but beyond that I dunno........Granted my guitar is only about 1,000 bucks so how you store yours may differ but my guitar sits on my wall for 21 hours a day or so and the other 2-3 hours I'm just playing it. Once every couple of months I change the strings and give it a quick once over with a cloth, even this I put off till I REALLY have to cus I hate it, it takes away from playing time. Do I really need to do more then that to be a good player??? I kinda feel like all this is the equivalent of dudes in the electric world buying pedals to make themselves better players.......JUST PLAY THE DAMN THING!
Anyways, rant over, do your worst. lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 22:01:50

estebanana

quote:

quote:

quote:

THat quote belongs in a museum!

Yeah Riconde we keep them busy around here with important schizms, scams and conspiracies. Where is this bore hound? You know what Doitsujin means in Japanese?

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2013 23:56:53

Arash

RE: Why is everyone so fussy???? (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lenador

LOL that's hilarious! Did you contact the seller? What could cause this????

I thought about it .... initially even thought about leaving negative ebay feedback with a comment like "Fast shipment, but guitar smells like fart" , but the guitar was ok for the price and smell was gone after the cleaning orgy and i was happy after all (and after the shower), so i just moved on and the origin and source of that smell will always remain a mystery :D.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2013 3:45:50
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post