Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: road to....?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: road to....? (in reply to pink

Having a maestro, or at least higher level playing buddies really helps to get details and such. It's important to have that feedback in most cases. Some fingerings are SUPER important and not always (like the bream example) a matter of taste. Most transcriptions/method books etc are not written as best as possible as far as flamenco goes. Notes with fingerings plus tabs, even correct timing (so many different meters have been used to interpret compas it is freaking ridiculous) might actually seem to make a "perfect" transcription....and then you maybe SEE the guy play it and tap his foot etc and an entire new dimension is revealed.

After you get some of the flamenco discipline down cold and natural (normal chordal usage, grips, techniques and "pellizcos" etc) learning from a score can actually be efficient because you can fill in all the gaps based on your traditional understanding. You know what is important to keep and what can be discarded etc. Sometimes a single source is good enough to get a handle on proper attack and grips etc as flamenco is a traditional discipline and ALL great flamenco players have that background.

Of course there is absolutely no need for scores either, but any tool to learn is still a tool good or bad.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2013 16:03:37

Miguel de Maria

RE: road to....? (in reply to Ricardo

I would like to bring up the idea of "emotion in music", as pink has alluded to several times. For example, complaining about his bland, "emotionless" tremolo. Perhaps this is just a semantic issue, but it might not always be helpful to think in these terms. If you listen to music and you feel emotion, that doesn't mean the music itself had emotion. If it is bland, neither is that necessarily meaningful. It's not like the human voice which automatically conveys the singer's mental state without even trying. There are a lot of players who think they are expressing incredibly deep things, and are feeling that, but it doesn't come out at all. I have found it helpful to listen carefully to "emotional" recordings and try to understand why they make me feel that way. It comes down to refining your hearing and your map of dynamics and rhythmic nuance. The goal is that hopefully it eventually becomes natural and then your feelings about the music will automatically be communicated. So an exercise in listening that seeks to objectively note minute and tedious details wil become a vehicle for your highest artistic and emotional expression.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2013 16:46:48

guitarbuddha

RE: road to....? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

I would like to bring up the idea of "emotion in music", as pink has alluded to several times. For example, complaining about his bland, "emotionless" tremolo. Perhaps this is just a semantic issue, but it might not always be helpful to think in these terms. If you listen to music and you feel emotion, that doesn't mean the music itself had emotion. If it is bland, neither is that necessarily meaningful. It's not like the human voice which automatically conveys the singer's mental state without even trying. There are a lot of players who think they are expressing incredibly deep things, and are feeling that, but it doesn't come out at all. I have found it helpful to listen carefully to "emotional" recordings and try to understand why they make me feel that way. It comes down to refining your hearing and your map of dynamics and rhythmic nuance. The goal is that hopefully it eventually becomes natural and then your feelings about the music will automatically be communicated. So an exercise in listening that seeks to objectively note minute and tedious details wil become a vehicle for your highest artistic and emotional expression.

Nice post !!!

And oddly enough you are describing the Scientific Method there. Surely the most valuable tool for the improving musician is a tape recorder and a good nights sleep. Nothing sorts out the imaginary from the effective quite like a bluff recording and the sober light of day.

D.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2013 18:17:17

jshelton5040

RE: road to....? (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rui Martins

Generally speaking you have black & white. Either you read music or you play by ear, thats what 99% of the world population will ask you if they see you playing something.

I suspect it's pretty common for guitarists play flamenco by ear and use notation for classic guitar and other instruments. At least that was the case with me and most of the flamenco guitarists I've known.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2013 20:12:23

Erik van Goch

RE: road to....? (in reply to pink

quote:

ORIGINAL: pink

I've had to start again which has meant trying to undo all those years of bad habits too. At 47 years of age that's a big ask.....and I guess I was wondering, if I read, and had that mathematical structure to what I do instead of relying on those things from the 3rd layer ,would I be in a better place with this new road?
Also Rui i am hyper critical of myself....especially when it comes to playing guitar....my Achilles heel I guess.

This sounds very much like my story and that of my father. In the 40ties my father received 1 or 2 lessons from a member of the Ramblers (one of the big names over here at that period of time time). Unfortunately that was all his family could afford so he was forced to learn how to play the guitar from of a little book in stead. At the age of 22 he quit his job (being a very talented decorating painter) in order to become a professional musician ..... a risky thing, income wise. Fortunately he wasn't out of work a single day since, especially since his band had a temporary contract and soon became one of the most popular bands in the Netherlands in that period of time (50ties-60ties). Nowadays you have big discos with famous and very well payed disc jockeys, but in his time you had even bigger dancings and all music was performed life by a house band. His band was the best of all and as a result was contracted by the hottest clubs in the country. He worked over 12 hours a day and performed 6 hours a day on stage 363 days a year over a 10 year period..... that's over 20.000 hours of public performing (probably more than the 4 Beatles added together... they actually met and jammed when some of the Beatles enjoyed the nocturnal hotspots of Amsterdam after there only Dutch performance).

The growing popularity of television ended that area in the midd 60ties and my father had to find other means of living. He soon found employment as a guitar teacher at the local music school in combination with studying classical guitar at Rotterdam Conservatory. So AFTER he played the guitar for over 20 years with over 20.000 performing hours on the clock he finally received his first guitar lessons at the age of 30+. As far as playing the guitar was concerned he had to start all over again (partly getting writ of bad habits, partly learning better ways of playing the guitar, insights that he could have used very well during his previous performing years). For musical theory he was allowed to skip a couple of things because he used to be the composer/arranger of the band and had lot's of experience in understanding/annotating numerous types of music. Despite his demanding and time consuming job at the music school he skipped a year and graduated cum laude within 4 years. His teacher insisted that my father would be the one taking over his position as main teacher of classical guitar and guitar didactics at Rotterdam Conservatory. None of the parties involved ever regretted that he accepted the job.

Like i said my father learned how to play the guitar all over again when he became a student of Rotterdam Conservatory at the age of 30+. And that was not the last time he radically had to change his way of playing the guitar. Soon he specialized in early music and had to adapt to specialized instruments and specialized ways of playing again and again (in the same way flamenco and classical guitar use different right hand techniques).

Speaking about flamenco, when Paco Peña was asked by Rotterdam Conservatory to start a University School of Flamenco Guitar he agreed on condition my father joined in as well (they had worked together previously and both admired each others qualities). My father decided to face the adventure and at the age of 53 picked up the challenge to learn how to play the guitar all over again, this time the flamenco way. His huge biomechanical/didactical insights, incredible working drive (still working 12 hours a day 363 days a year) and his unrestricted access to Paco soon made him an expert on that field as well.

At the age of 22 (after playing the guitar for 15 years and ear playing all Paco's records for years) i became there first student. As it turned out i had a good ear for melody and harmony but i basically had to learn how to play the guitar all over again. Unlike my father (who only had to learn/perfect the right hand flamenco techniques) i also had to learn how to handle the left hand from scratch. For both hands i had to forget everything i learned before (to many bad habits) starting playing open strings again for mounts (the same happened to the other 10 students). Rebuilding my technique did take me 3-4 years, partly because unlike my father i was extremely lazy (or better said very active in an other discipline....playing/studying chess all day).

At the end of the 4th years i was in danger of being kicked out of the institute dude to the my lack of study (results). So i decided to take my study a little more seriously. Restudying my fathers exercises seemed to be a good start (never took them very seriously before) but i soon realized that no exercise in the world would made me play any better as long as i only did them to please the teacher, the clock or as an excuse to move my fingers. That's how i became interested in studying the art of studying. Having my fathers genes (and a previous education in animal anatomy) it soon became pretty serious and "studying the art of studying" for (flamenco) guitar soon became my first (unofficial) scientific study with me as guinea pig. I closely studied my studying habits, taking notes of everything (eating/sleeping habits, resulting energy levels/fluctuations, moment/durance/content/outcome of my study hours and so on), using my scientific mind to evaluate/understand/refine the effects of my experimental exercises. I soon realized the brain can only handle 1 thing at the time so i had to start with studying single fingers and parts of fingers. Once again i decided to forget everything i (thought i had) learned before and to start all over again from scratch... I closely studied biomechanics of finger parts, fingers, hands, wrist, arm and shoulders, tonal development of strings, nerves/muscles and there interaction, i started to apply mental visualization and so on. After weeks/mounds of extremely intense observation/deducting/training (1 -3 hours a day full focus) i was able to understand (and use) the underlaying mechanisms which allowed me to study 1000 times more effective and on top completely changed my way of playing. The fallowing years i returned to the chessboard 48 weeks a year (falling back into old playing habits on the guitar) reinventing myself (and catching up with the others) in the 3 weeks previous to my yearly exams.

In my opinion the ability to read notes and knowing (a bit of) musical theory doesn't hurt (on the contrary), but it doesn't make you a better musician/performer (both Paco Peña and Paco de Lucia can't read a single note and know nothing about musical theory but they are more then a match for most players that can). What you need is someone to show you what to study/how to study (from simple to more complex etc.). Some people have more talent to find the wright tracks then others. The natural players find there way almost without help with there instrument as there main teacher, many others need to be told the same thing over and over again without results. You can only learn someone to play the guitar to a certain extent or like someone else once put it (and you'll probably like this one)

"i can't teach you how to play the guitar, but i can teach you how to teach yourself"

That's also the reason why good exercises don't work if you only do them to please the teacher, the clock or as an excuse to move your fingers. They only work when chosen well and when done full focus and with a deep wish to learn from them or like Grisha said "you have to pay attention". I like to ad "the smaller the object of your focus, the bigger the outcome" (that's why i often study left and right hand separately, as well as individual fingers/phalanges etc.). Being hyper critical can be a Achilles heel in some situations, but it is also essential in order to get the very best out of yourself because improving begins with noticing/disapproving/chancing imperfections.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2013 22:44:20

pink

RE: road to....? (in reply to Erik van Goch

Erik
Firstly I must pass on my thanks to you for taking the time to kindly furnish me and our fellow members with such a fantastically complete reply.
I have found your whole post to be not just great reading but highly informative.....I should also add thanks to Ricardo here too for the advice aimed at helping to push not just me but many of us in the right direction .
I guess where I am at the moment is somewhere that so many of us have been but I must admit that asking the question has already started to make me realise that maybe I'm not in too bad a place and perhaps the worry of not doing a certain thing is an unnecessary one. I am having to learn a new thing from scratch....is that a bad thing.....no cause i want to learn and want to be good......do I need to apply the structure and maybe, for me ,pressure of dots to the equation when I can learn in my own way but as suggested maybe use the skill of a seasoned teacher /player of flamenco to guide me in the right direction? The second part of that sounds more sensible and perhaps apropriate. If I choose to learn to read then maybe, as has also been suggested or implied it would be prudent to learn to read as a classical guitarist, keep the styles and ways of learning separate and more appropriate to themselves as styles(at least in my head anyway)..hope that makes sence.
Anyway thanks to all and keep it coming if more comes to you!!!
I must to bed I am at work in a few hours!!

Best to all

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2013 23:57:02

Erik van Goch

RE: road to....? (in reply to Ricardo

I'm planning to trust my left hand adventures to paper but i'm still doubting about the form. It's tempting to do it from scratch because that was also the way i studied during my best periods....every single day i started investigations like i had never played the guitar before, with a clear and empty mind to deduce some truth (there's no room for new ideas/insights if you are still full of old ones). Funny enough extremely simple exercises can be pretty demanding when used to (re)connect (with) body/mind and instrument. Exercises that most players (including absolute beginners) would consider to be "to simple to take serious" for me triggered the transposition from playing good to playing superb. You'll be amazed what you can learn from that 2 mm space that separates an untouched string from 12th fret. Holding a string halfway for a while (sensing and appreciating the energy exchange between finger and string) can beat 1 hour of doing scales.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2013 1:33:18
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post