Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Solea' por Zambra Combination   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

Solea' por Zambra Combination 

I rarely mention what I am playing or working on, as I am just a flamenco guitar dilettante compared to most Foro members. Nevertheless, if the title "Solea' por Zambra Combination" caught your eye, and you are thinking I must have hallucinated after too many manzanilla-por-amontillados, the answer is, I am working with my flamenco guitar instructor, Paco de Malaga, on combining the two palos (more or less) into a seamless piece. Let me absolve Paco of any responsibility in this endeavor, as he knows full well (as do I) that no one has actually combined Solea' with Zambra, that it isn't done in flamenco, and that Paco is simply allowing me to indulge in my fantasy of giving it a shot.

I have always lamented that Flamenco guitarists do not perform Zambra anymore and haven't for a long time. Sabicas performed Zambras such as "Arabian Dance" and others, and Carlos Montoya performed Zambras such as "The Moors in Granada." (I know, I know, Carlos Montoya had his flaws, but his rendition of "The Moors in Granada" was done well.) I wanted to combine the two with the Solea' as the main palo framework, but incorporating Zambra-like falsetas.

I write "Zambra-like" because a true Zambra requires a dropped D, and I can't be dropping the D when beginning a Zambra-like falseta, and then bringing it back up when reverting to Solea'. So, since I keep the guitar tuned for Solea', Paco and I have decided to use the term "Zambra-like" or "falseta Morisco" when incorporating such falsetas into the overall piece. The falsetas are not true Zambras, but they are sufficiently close that it sounds very nice when done well, at least to my ear. Combining the "mother" of flamenco, Solea', with "falsetas Moriscos" is a work in progress and fun. It may sound crazy, but one can look at it one of two ways: Either I am breaking new ground or at the age of 70 I can do anything I want.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2013 19:42:46
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages