Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Has anyone here tried "String Tie"?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

avimuno

Has anyone here tried "String T... 

Any feedback/experiences with this product? Thanks!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 11:17:26

guitarbuddha

RE: Has anyone here tried "Stri... (in reply to avimuno

I can't see the vid (honest) but my experience of string ties is that they are hard to unknot and can chafe at the neck.

Seriously though I tend to avoid paying for solutions to problems which don't exist.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 11:39:02

avimuno

quote:

Seriously though I tend to avoid paying for solutions to problems which don't exist.

You Sir, have read my mind!
It would be interesting to have some feedback concerning that product though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 11:40:48

Blondie#2

I recently bought a set of these on my Sanchis as the break angle on the upper strings, mainly the 1st, was very poor and I wanted to be sure of maximum downward pressure on the saddle, especially as I use a pick up system with UST as part of the equation. I didn't want to drill another set of holes (to make a 12 hole tie block) and the string ties seemed like a simple, cheap solution for peace of mind.

No problems so far, I have gigged a couple of times with them on, for several hours each time. I once used Bridge Bone Beads (same idea) but these are better, especially on a flamenco guitar, as they have a much lower profile. Bone beads used to stick up in the air and also snapped my strings (a problem reported by others too, elsewhere). I have not read any reports of this problem with string ties.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 14:50:04

Sr. Martins

Ive been using those small simple beads that you can buy bags of it for 0,5€ and never had a problem. I just use them so that the knot doesnt chew the hole in the bridge.

They're almost unnoticeable, especially if you buy small black ones.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 16:39:12

El Kiko

I cant really see the point of them , or any big advantage ........

Except that if you spend a lot of money on a guitar you can make it look crap by putting them on ...

One day if I had a Floyd Rose floating bridge on my Reyes they might come in handy ..until that time ....I pass.....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 21:33:24

avimuno

quote:

One day if I had a Floyd Rose floating bridge on my Reyes they might come in handy ..until that time ....I pass.....

Oh c'mon... wouldn't you like to be able to dive bomb in the middle of a falseta por buleria?!?!?!? How amazing would that be?!?!?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 5:56:45

avimuno

quote:

I recently bought a set of these on my Sanchis as the break angle on the upper strings, mainly the 1st, was very poor and I wanted to be sure of maximum downward pressure on the saddle, especially as I use a pick up system with UST as part of the equation. I didn't want to drill another set of holes (to make a 12 hole tie block) and the string ties seemed like a simple, cheap solution for peace of mind.

No problems so far, I have gigged a couple of times with them on, for several hours each time. I once used Bridge Bone Beads (same idea) but these are better, especially on a flamenco guitar, as they have a much lower profile. Bone beads used to stick up in the air and also snapped my strings (a problem reported by others too, elsewhere). I have not read any reports of this problem with string ties.

Thanks for the feedback amigo! I thought that something like that could come into play when it came to break angle.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 6:11:44

Blondie#2

quote:

ORIGINAL: avimuno
Thanks for the feedback amigo! I thought that something like that could come into play when it came to break angle.

Well yes I don't seem the point of 'accessorizing' my guitar for no reason. I don't have these on my other flamenco or my classical guitars, no point.

I don't like the white ones in the video you linked too, I have the amber ones which I think are a lot more discreet and they match my guitar top, you can see them here:
http://www.string-tie.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 10:02:20

Sr. Martins

I use this kind of beads, way smaller than those on the pic and without the big ugly knots.

The strings dont slip. Its easy to loosen the strings, do another knot, tighten the strings and have a new string sound again.

Swaping strings is fast because they already have a knot and you can keep a bead on each string... a bag of those at 0,5€ has hundreds of them.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 12:15:42

Sr. Martins

Nothing sticks out of the guitar...

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 12:25:21

Sr. Martins

Here's a closeup of the beads.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 12:26:25

El Kiko

quote:

Oh c'mon... wouldn't you like to be able to dive bomb in the middle of a falseta por buleria?!?!?

Actually , now that you mention it ,...YES ...that would be soo cool ...I think it could make a great ending ....and some interesting falsetas . by diving first and letting it come back up up and down the neck ......
Thats it .....I need a experimental mental luthier .....NOW .......

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 21:50:55
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post