Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Bigger guitars for bigger people?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

avimuno

Bigger guitars for bigger people? 

Hello luthier friends!

I am a 6'2 tall guy, with very big hands and long fingers. As a consequence, it has always been, and still is, a major struggle for me to get the hand positioning right on a flamenco guitar. The string spacing at the bridge and at the nut have always felt a little too tight... the problem is mainly on the bridge though... with big hands, the right hand positioning is always a compromise which has it's limits. It feels like my hand does not get the space it needs to be able to get all the techniques right, as they should be.

I have always considered that the complains I would have concerning the dimensions of guitars were an excuse for my personal shortcomings and my lack of practice, and to some extent they surely are. But I have also noticed in meeting a few fellow guitarists in recent years that this complaint came back a lot.

I have adressed this issue with a few luthiers over the years, but most of them strongly advised me against going for a guitar that had bigger dimensions... I am not necessarily talking here about a longer scale, or a bigger plantilla which would have a direct effect on the sound... just more spacing between the strings at the nuts, and incidentally at the bridge, to allow the fingers to have more space to move, to feel a little less cramped... I once suggested a string spacing of 56mm at the nut and of 64mm at the bridge bridge, which resulted in the luthier giving me a look of horror!

I know that some supplies, like the wood for the fretboard, are bought already cut, so this means that the builder is stuck with the width he buys his supplies at. It also seems that it would be quite expensive to have the fretboard wood cut wider.

Other arguments against have included one luthier advising me that more space between the strings would mean that techniques like Alzapua would become more difficult... I admit that it would take a little time to get used to a wider string spacing, but ultimately this might feel much more comfortable, more natural if you will, for someone with big hands.

So with people becoming bigger and bigger, shouldn't the guitar also evolve to fit the size of the players?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 11:16:43

estebanana

RE: Bigger guitars for bigger people? (in reply to avimuno

quote:

I once suggested a string spacing of 56mm at the nut and of 64mm at the bridge bridge, which resulted in the luthier giving me a look of horror!

Weak hearted luthier indeed.

53mm to 54mm at the nut and 61mm at the saddle would make lot of difference in how a guitar feels in terms of space for bigger hands.

I think about making my guitars with a mean average of 11.25 mm between strings at the saddle and adjust it a bit wider if someone has need for more string space. ( 11.25 is the dimension I have written in my black notebook of guitar measurements) It will not take much, tenths of millimeters, between stings to effect change in how the spacing feels.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 13:07:49

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: avimuno

I know that some supplies, like the wood for the fretboard, are bought already cut, so this means that the builder is stuck with the width he buys his supplies at. It also seems that it would be quite expensive to have the fretboard wood cut wider.

Hi Avi,

No, it mustn´t be expensive.

One of our luthiers here makes his bridges himself ( and he is not the only one on board who does so, I think), and he has no problems at all with individually producing fretboards to demand either. And spacings. I know he has done so recently.
Such not only without extra charge, but without compromise in quality which already has resulted in a waiting list.
His guitars are gems and sound very flamenco.

I expect his reputation to rise internationally in the not so far future. Hence, already at remarkable quality to price ratio it should be good point in time to obtain one of his makes anyway.

quote:

Other arguments against have included one luthier advising me that more space between the strings would mean that techniques like Alzapua would become more difficult... I admit that it would take a little time to get used to a wider string spacing, but ultimately this might feel much more comfortable, more natural if you will, for someone with big hands.

I imagine your thumbs tip to be correspondingly larger than average. Thus the wider spacing should only mean adaption to your thumbs thickness as well.
After all, proporations within a hand should basically stay same.

I suppose you are on a good way ergonomically as long as plantilla and strings not be challenged by extra ordinary dimensions. ( And I think to see a number of makers setting the bridge further towards the tail anway; like e.g. with a Antonio Marin someone linked to just yesterday.)
Individual specs will probably turn out of great relief for a tall fellow like you, don´t hesitate with tailoring.

Ruphus

PS:
I just realized that you asked luthiers. But I leave my post in place, because convinced of it being good advice still.
( Luthiers seem to not have special resource on limbs to guitar proportions at hand anyway. That´s at least what I got from asking some. Apparently there has not been made scientificial research on this aspect yet.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 13:53:49

avimuno

quote:

It will not take much, tenths of millimeters, between stings to effect change in how the spacing feels.

Very true! I definitely feel a big difference between a nut of 53mm and a nut of 54mm for example... it's really weird since the difference is just of 1mm.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 13:55:49

estebanana

Another thing to consider is that there is a counter intuitive thing that happens with guitar necks and hand size. That is hyper extension of the thumb.

The thumb can extent too far towards the fingers on a neck and fingerboard that is excessively thin. Most players will not notice this, but if you have big hands you might consider a bit extra girth in the neck, this helps curb hyper extending the thumb.

When you hyper extend the thumb it causes a weakness in the ability of the thumb to enclose and grip the neck. ( not that you should be gripping with tension or clamping down hard) Hold a pencil between your thumb and fingers and notice you must extend the thumb to grip the pencil. Then grip your guitar neck and feel the difference between hyper extending and feeling more comfortable with the distance needed to grip the respective object.

There is no science or deep ergonomic studies about this thumb issue to my knowledge, but all good guitar makers and luthiers of string instruments are aware of the hyper extension issue. Most peoples hands don't warrant extra meat in the neck to prevent hyper extension, but occasionally someone will have a problem with necks that are too thin rather than too thick. And in the event you want more thickness in the neck to help with a hyper extending situation, or just because it is plain comfortable to you, again a little extra thickness goes a long way.

There are also a lot of individuals who like to speculate about guitar making, but in reality have no real or practical experience with the issues. Steer clear of that kind of information when you can. I write about these issues with the hope and intention of clarifying problems because I have seem them and heard about them from players, other builders and teachers. Always in hopes that it helps people choose the right maker or guitar for them.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 14:21:42

jshelton5040

quote:

I don't know any luthiers who buy pre-made fingerboards, bridges, necks, etc. I suspect most factories do and that's one of the reasons why factory guitars are usually not as good. I've always preferred to saw my own parts from large planks or billets or even whole tree trunks but it's not always possible to get the big pieces of wood so one makes do with rough sawn sets and blanks from wood vendors. If you need someone else to manufacture and dimension your parts you're not a luthier.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 14:29:15

Ricardo

1. Play flamenco on a ukelele.
2. Play flamenco on a bass guitar.

3. Now go back to whatever guitar and it will feel like a dream instrument in no time.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 16:04:23

Stephen Eden

I remember making a an extra large guitar for a giant when I was an aprentice. the neck was 62mm at the nut and 72mm at the 12th. I didn't think there was a man big enough to able to play this guitar. Sure enough though as the guy came to collect the guitar he not only had to duck to get through the door but had to stay like that once inside. I think he must have been at least 7'4! It was a massive expense for the guy as now he could finally learn how to play the guitar! he could pretty much play and A chord with the end of one finger on a standard 52mm neck!!

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 16:38:15

guitarbuddha

RE: Bigger guitars for bigger people? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

1. Play flamenco on a ukelele.
2. Play flamenco on a bass guitar.

3. Now go back to whatever guitar and it will feel like a dream instrument in no time.

Good advice. Even something simple as moving a capo up and down the whole neck a fret at a time during a practice session can really make open position playing feel great.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 16:57:14

tijeretamiel

RE: Bigger guitars for bigger people? (in reply to guitarbuddha

There's a UK based steel string guitar maker (3 luthiers) called Brook Guitars.

On their website they posted the following pictures.

and a close up

To the OP, if you have the money to commission a luthier built instrument and want to take a risk to build a guitar with a longer scale/wider nut/wider string spacing which if it doesn't solve your problems then it'll be a white elephant to sell.

I'd recommend looking for a long scale flamenco, ie one with a minimum 660mm scale with a nut of at least 53mm (54mm if possible) with a saddle spacing of 59/60mm, and get a new nut cut to make as much space as possible.

The Sanchis Lopez guitars fit the descriptions above and they crop up second now and again for not a huge amount which could be a more cost effective way to find out what will fit your hands a bit better.

That is unless you (the OP) has potatoes for thumbs and sausages for fingers, which if is the case buy a bass guitar or a drum kit!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2013 19:03:18

avimuno

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

Ruphus, although I did post in the Luthier section, any advice, information and experience is highly appreciated, so thank you!

Ricardo... will do!!

Stephen, very interesting point... I had never really noticed that, but you're right, I spent the whole morning comparing my two guitars bearing in mind what you have said, and I do feel a big difference on my left hand between my Bernal (rather thin neck) and my Blackshear (thicker neck).

I also forgot to mention that one of the reason why some luthiers I had spoken to in the past were hesitant to experiment with bigger dimensions was that if I ended up not buying the guitar in the end they would be stuck with an instrument that would be very difficult for them to sell... which is a totally valid point!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2013 9:55:09

guitarbuddha

Are you familiar with Tal Farlowe ?

He was an american Jazz guitarist and on of the first guiatarists (and last!) to play authentic bebop. He was nicknamed 'the octopus' on account of his huge hands.

He played exclusively on standard size guitars except when he played a piccolo guitar to make a point. I hunted around for footage on youtube yesterday but couldn't find any with the little guitar. You can however see him play it on his instructional video.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2013 10:35:30

avimuno

quote:

Of course!! I love Thal's playing... amazing guitarist. I transcribed some of his choruses when I was still in jazz school, well, I tried!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2013 10:46:35

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

Of course!! I love Thal's playing... amazing guitarist. I transcribed some of his choruses when I was still in jazz school, well, I tried!

Lets consider that a high five then.

D
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2013 10:53:06

Ricardo

Do they make big pianos?

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2013 16:43:05

El Kiko

or a really big Harmonica

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2013 17:17:28

El Kiko

RE: Bigger guitars for bigger people? (in reply to El Kiko

Ok I found it , the biggest guitar in the world ...you dont see it till ,, 1:20...is this big enough for you ?

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2013 17:21:16

Richard Jernigan

My hands are big. When I ordered my spruce/Brazilian classical from Abel Garcia I asked for a 54 mm nut, and a 655 mm scale. He said he had made one with those dimensions for Pepe Romero. I didn't ask for anything bigger, because I thought it might make it hard to sell the guitar. So far I haven't been inclined to sell it.

I've never been closer to Romero than about ten feet away, but his hands don't look particularly big.

My left hand feels cramped, for example with a barre at the 8th fret and fretting the 2nd, 3rd and 4th at the tenth---if I'm out of practice, which I have been lately. But as I improve, it gets a lot easier. A lot easier. It used not to be a problem at all. I expect to return to that state as I continue to practice.

RNJ

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2013 3:01:57

estebanana

quote:

Do they make big pianos?

They make toy pianos and John Cage wrote a concerto for it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2013 10:41:51

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Do they make big pianos?

Actually smaller keyboards with narrow keys are available for people with very small hands. It's an expensive option. Key width and length varies somewhat depending on the brand and string length (longer string length allows for longer keys since the bridge is farther back). The number of keys varies from 85 or fewer to 109 with 88 keys considered standard. Of course I'm referring to real pianos not toys or those electronic things.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2013 14:17:19

Tom Blackshear

So with people becoming bigger and bigger, shouldn't the guitar also evolve to fit the size of the players?

........................................................................................................

Avi, Segovia had big hands and he played Ramirez guitars with 54 mm width. I think its a matter of adaptation with the player to deal with because if you ask for that much difference, then you get a distortion in the tone, etc.

Some body will build it for you but then you are attached to its larger proportions to try and sell when you are tired of playing it.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2013 20:58:46
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote