Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Point break   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

Point break 

Something Jon Boyes made me think. He said that there are some techniques that cannot be done slowly. Just as practicing walking is not how one practices running, perhaps practicing slowly does not help when one goes faster. A good thought. Also, Scott Tennant mentions that there is a "break point," in scales, a noticeable spot where the technique breaks down, and where the player can play well above and below. Everyone, he says, has a break point--it is a flaw that must be worked around. And he said that Eddie Lastra's continuos rasgueo also had one of these break points. He started slow, accelerated smoothly--but there was a point where it hit another gear and then went fast. Not a smooth, steady acceleration, then, but a plateau. Another example of break point, I would think.

I decided to test this in my own playing. I wanted to see one, whether I have these break points too, and two, whether I can eliminate them. I tested this with picado, arpeggio, xmaii rasgueo, and pmi rasgueo.

The answer is that I do have break points. There is a spot in all of these techniques where it seems I hit another gear. It's not a smooth progression. I hypothesize that there is a true shift in technique here. The muscles are being used in different proportions, in a different way. The sensation is different.

But then I tried to do it the other way, to do it smoothly. First I tried the xamii rasgeuo, going real slow, and smoothly accelerating. I found that I could to it, but that it took a concerted effort. My hand wanted to go into overdrive, but I would not let it. I held it back like a horse chomping at the bit. The verdict is out on this one. I reached pretty high speeds in 1st gear--one xamii per beat at 132 bpm. So I could smoothly accelerate all the way up to that, all in 1st gear. The break point doesn't seem to be a big factor here.

I tried the same thing with picado, and was able to smoothly accelerate from a standing start to 160 bmp sixteenth notes, all in 1st gear. At least to my perception, I was able to eliminate this break point that Scott Tennant claims everyone has.

Now I got tired of the experiment, as I'm sure you all are, but I hope this raises some questions or interest. If it is true that the sensations and motions for playing both xamii rasgeuo and picado are the same from a standing start all the way up to the limits of necessary speed, then does the "practicing walking to run" analogy hold true? Obviously other people have different sensations of playing the guitar. I have been practicing slowly for a couple weeks fairly religiously now, maybe this has added a different level or feeling of control. That being said, to get my picado up to speed I did lots of speed bursts which are rather the opposite school of thought than the slow practice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2003 17:51:15

Ron.M

RE: Point break (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Mike,
I definitely feel you are getting too intense here amigo!
You are looking at the guitar under a microscope to see if that will reveal something, some secret that you need to know about playing it.
A lot of folk have responded in the same way as I thought on first reading your initial post, in saying that slowing down the motion of a particular piece of technique can sometimes be helpful, but not always....
Lots of good images here like walking and running and walking and dancing etc. LOL!
I must admit, the image that jumped into my head was of an aeronautical instructor saying to his student...
"OK, we're going to land the plane really slowly to begin with and try a little bit faster over the next few lessons!!"
Relax Mike!
Just enjoy the sounds, otherwise in a year's time you're gonna be sick of the guitar.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2003 18:58:53

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Point break (in reply to Ron.M

Ron;

Good points. When landing you do not want to have an air speed that will cause a stall. You could crash and burn!

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2003 23:53:23

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael W Cho
If it is true that the sensations and motions for playing both xamii rasgeuo and picado are the same from a standing start all the way up to the limits of necessary speed, then does the "practicing walking to run" analogy hold true?
(snip)

That being said, to get my picado up to speed I did lots of speed bursts which are rather the opposite school of thought than the slow practice.

Michael

*Both* have their place, that is the important thing.

Analogy again - there's is no way you would learn to run without first learning too walk, but you don't become a faster and more efficient runner by practising your walking.

I went through a period when I was studying classical guitar when, like you, I was determined to discover everything I could about the development of technique. I wanted to understand it all, to maxmise my chances of improving my tech. and becoming a better player. I read books, I watched videos, I debated things at length on different classical guitar forums.

All that stuff has given me a greater undertanding of how things work, for sure, but I don't think it was helpful to concentrate so much time on such a mechanistic approach.

I think Ron makes a good point - too much mico-analysis of technique can get your head spinning, don't forget making music! Ultimately you have to let go, and let your hands 'do' what you you hear in your head.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2003 8:37:22

gerundino63

RE: Point break (in reply to Jon Boyes

hi Flamenco frends!

nice subject!

I have done (and still do a little) a lot of sport, so I learned something about training and preparing your body and mind.
you have a lot of exercices, to gain more speed, or train techniques.
A lot are useful for different sports, slow practice for instance, is good for, let say, speedskating ( remember, I am from holland), but allso table tennis.
And sorry, slow walking does not make you faster, but slow running do!
You get very consious where you place your feet, and how it roll of.
Here are some sport techniques, that I find useful for guitarplaying,
Visualisation Techniques
Mental Rehearsal
Autogenic Training
But remember, FUN, is the most importand!
greetings, and have a nice day, Peter.
p.s
For the good record,I must say, that, with running, you must train explosive speed too
, becouse you use other mussles then.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2003 13:03:33

Jon Boyes

RE: Point break (in reply to gerundino63

quote:

ORIGINAL: gerundino63

Here are some sport techniques, that I find useful for guitarplaying,
Visualisation Techniques
Mental Rehearsal
Autogenic Training

Very true Peter, very true.

Realising something in your mind is an important step towards realising it on the fretboard.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2003 14:49:13

Miguel de Maria

Jon and Ron, I'm taking your advice and taking the morning off from technique to work on my bulerias! I'm trying to get enough material for bulerias, alegrias, solea por bulerias, and siguriyas to get out there and start gigging in flamenco. Enough Santana covers!

But guys, I am serious about improving my technique and I probably sound funny to you guys because I know from earlier posts that you both are already past this stage . I feel that perhaps by concentrating a lot of time on this, maybe I'll learn some things that should inform the rest of my development. If not, at least I tried!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2003 17:15:57

gerundino63

hi, michael!

With the dedication, you do your things, I am sure you reach your goal:

Being a Proffesional Flamenco Guitarplayer!!

Can you sighn me up as your first fan?

Stay focused, greetings, Peter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2003 18:16:10

Miguel de Maria

What are you talking about, Gerry? "My first fan?" I have lots of fans!

Just joking man, thanks so much for the encouraging post. Kind words such as yours can make a big difference.

At my first gig, a shy Mexican waitress, couldn't have been older than 16, asked for my autograph! But you can be my second fan!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2003 23:51:50

Michael

Hey Michael,

I've been away from the forum for a while and I am assuming that you're now back in the States from your visit to Spain. Hope all went well for you.

If you're starting to gig, my wife and I are always looking for a new place to visit, so let us know where and when you are playing. We'd love to hear you.

Regards,
Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2003 5:41:58

Jon Boyes

quote:

at my first gig, a shy Mexican waitress, couldn't have been older than 16, asked for my autograph!

There are two things in this world that cause the most distraction for the working guitarist/soloist:

!. Mobile phones
2. Waitresses

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2003 13:13:56

Miguel de Maria

michael, if you really want to see me out, I'm playing at a bar this Friday--but damn, we're not going to sound good, I shouldn't tell you where!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2003 14:47:15

Michael

Michael,

Alright, we won't show up, just tell me where you're playing.

How good or bad something or someone is, is nothing more than a perception. Where you feel you are, in so far as where you want to be, is your opinion of your ability. Not anyone else's. The fact that you have taken enormous strides to accomplish what you have set out to do is extrememly praise worthy. And in my books, no matter where anyone is on their ladder to success, they are all worthy of listening to. Besides... who am I to judge anyone. All I am is a person who enjoys listening to various forms of flamenco. I can't play worth a s--t and have never claimed any ability to do so. I just enjoy the atmosphere. By the way, did you see Ottmar last night?

Regards,
Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2003 15:15:46

Miguel de Maria

Michael, I did see Ottmar last night. Sorry to say it, but I felt that was a very boring show... and I've always thought that Ottmar was very important for us lovers of latin music. If people see him, who's the biggest selling act, and he's lame, then it doesn't reflect well on us in the minds of the laymen. I'll be playing Barrio Cafe, south of Thomas on 16th st West side, 730 - 930. No flamenco, really, just rumba and cuban and santana. I'm not really happy about our sound, we're really out of practice and singing off-key and stuff like that.

By the way, if you like, email me and I'll email you the information about the flamenco workshop this weekend.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2003 15:46:04
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post