Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Being an artist.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Guest

quote:

Stephen, I am interested to see if you know of any particular tricks or info regarding the Impressionist era.

Check out the Italian group called I Macchiaioli

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 22:46:31

[Deleted] (in reply to estebanana

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2013 0:49:51

Ruphus

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Of note is the lower left hand corner and the subtle shadows painted at a diagonal into the street. The tiny shift in color on the sidewalk and street shows a pretty masterful understanding of light. I guess I don't get enough of this, I love this kind of painting.

Of note should rather be that the only somewhat suiting colour shading is the one of the shadow on the asphalt.

The situation on the footpath in the meantime is completely messed up and partially upside down while the drop shadow differs from lawn to footpath.
Further, as there is drop shadow in conjunction with half-shade, casted even in different angles, there ought to be two suns at work.

This is not masterful in any way, but simply dilettantism.
-

And Richter´s realistic picture with great certainty has been done under use of photo projection.
Involving some craftsman experience, but certainly no mastery either.
-

Michelangelo´s work restauration certainly is a good example of its own right ( just as once white assumed colourful antique buildings were ), yet no consequent / practically related rebuttal of what I pointed to.
-

Why will there very probably be no one capable painter among the claqueurs of the plea for the awkward and untracable arbitrary?
As I said: Trying a subject out practically helps a lot for judging its craft.

quote:

Sister Wendy says Checkmate!

Esteban wins.

Wendy needs new glasses. hehe |O)

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2013 22:40:43

estebanana

I would not ordinarily do this because I prefer to pay for films, but in this case it is a difficult one to find playing near you. Check it out and then make up your minds.
I'll let the artist tell his own tale.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2013 23:52:20

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

And Richter´s realistic picture with great certainty has been done under use of photo projection.
Involving some craftsman experience, but certainly no mastery either.

You should go tell that Jan Vermeer, I'm sure he would like to hear that he was not a master for using a projection device called a camera obscura.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2013 23:55:30

estebanana

I love me some Bacon. I've seen two retrospectives of Bacons work. Man that guy could paint. You want mastery with pushing paint around look no further.

Above all a great colorist.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2013 23:59:30

chester

quote:

You should go tell that Jan Vermeer, I'm sure he would like to hear that he was not a master for using a projection device called a camera obscura.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

Anyway, thanks for hijacking the thread that was supposed to be about 'being an artist' and not 'I missed out on art school, did I really miss anything?'. Here are two unrelated paintings, just for the sheez and geez (don't look if you've done cocaine already today) -

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2013 0:26:32

chester

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to chester

aaand if the goat can spam, so can I (I like my taste better tho)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2013 0:45:39

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to chester

quote:

Anyway, thanks for hijacking the thread that was supposed to be about 'being an artist' and not 'I missed out on art school, did I really miss anything?'.

Oh you're entirely welcome. Next time I'll start thread called Super Pretentious Know it All Goat.

"Eat or be eaten."
Iggy Pop

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2013 1:08:33

Ruphus

quote:

I love me some Bacon.

Been in a dedicated show of his works in Munich together with some folks, among them the daughter of my cousine.
She, then in her mid twens or so, thought it en vogue to ride the mainstream pseudo and started raving about Bacon´s infantile brush, despite of having some actual drawing talent herself.

I, like above, exposed his painting inabilities, to which she then would respond how scornful I was against a poor chased homosexual and his pitiable vita.

I have always been siding with the discriminated, but she wouldn´t understand that lack of talent stays just that, even when a good spirit decided to engage himself nonetheless.
Of course, our dispute developed with decibel, and it was weird to in the end be shouting in halls that the etiquette wants you to walk devoutly. You could feel how the personal was pretty close to asking us to leave, yet probably held back by the idea that opinions should be allowed too, if not even as self-evident occurance in something like a show of makes.

Needless to say that my entry in the guest book will have differed from most others.
I believe it must have been something to the extend of: "Keeping the background black may expose, but won´t cure clumsy objects. Creative inability can be a trademarks blessing where the term of art has been distorted to total arbitrariness."

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2013 8:37:28

Ruphus

quote:

Though using a camera obscura differes essentially in detail and comfort / required expertise of the tracer compared to use of a photo projector:

You should come to my concerts where I mimic guitar playing with a turntable behind me playing records of Juan Martin.
I know you will appreciate the artistic performance.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2013 8:44:25

estebanana

quote:

Though using a camera obscura differes essentially in detail and comfort / required expertise of the tracer compared to use of a photo projector:

You should come to my concerts where I mimic guitar playing with a turntable behind me playing records of Juan Martin.
I know you will appreciate the artistic performance.

It would probably be cathartic for you to act something out that you thought up, sort of like those exercises acting coaches give stiff narrow actors to loosen up. I have no problem with Juan Martin at all.

Here is the real difference between a camera obscura and the projection of an image: One light bulb.

A projected image starts as a photograph made in a camera and is then turned into projectable transparency. The artist not only has to have the technical know how to use the camera and make all the exact choices a photographer makes, including knowing instinctively when to trigger the shutter, how to light the subject, how to process the development or digitally process it, ect. and pick a subject matter. Of course unless you are one of those fellows which dismiss photography as an art, which it most certainly is, you should agree an extra layer of artistic choices has to be made that if one were to use a camera obscura that extra work would not have to be done.

At the end of the day of whether you agree or disagree with the pretty much accepted idea that photography is art, or that the camera obscura is superior to the projector or not, the fact remains this has nothing to do with the expertise of the painter in handling the paint and all the skill it takes to make a painting from a drawing or a projected image.

To illustrate, I could project an image of a guitar on my wall with either a camera obscura or from a projector, it does not matter that I can project it, what matters is if I have the thousands of other skills I need to realize it in two dimensions or three. I could paint the guitar or I could build it in three dimensions. In some way, whether with brushes, chisels, airbrush, glue or a stick from a tree, the paint needs to get applied to the canvas. The projector method does not also enhance or teach teh artist how to adjust a color or understand how to mix colors to create space an light.

The camera obscura is simply the beginning of the camera as we know it today. A camera obscura is a a pinhole camera that most of us created in grammar school or perhaps high school. Or in my case I made them in college with by 4x5 view camera by making a pinhole shutter out of a piece of black plywood and a tiny drill bit.

The camera obscura and the electric bulb projector are essentially different technological realizations of the same concept, the projection of light onto a surface. How that artist treats the image with his or her mastery of painting is another subject.

Any more fallacies you would like debunked?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2013 21:43:37

Erik van Goch

My father uses photography to make very complex (but easy looking) paintings of Rotterdam and other cities. But the photographic involvement still makes work far from easy. He starts taking numerous photographs from various positions/angles, some for detail, some to become the base of his drawings. Still he has to go back to the subject several times because no matter how many photographs you take, a lot of details still remain unclear (is the man in the photograph above holding a small toy car, does he have an extremely long arm or are we fouled by our eyes ?). His final drawing is a combination of various (projected) pictures (taken from various points of view) showing a "truth" that can not be captured in 1 photograph.

In my fathers view your perspective of a street is not photographic but 3d or better said "super 3d" since your view is also influenced by your (chancing) position. He tries to catch the impressions you get when you pass that actual spot, getting new info at every step. When combining those various photographs he still has to interpret/re-calculate the different angles they have in relation to each other. Also he has to fake the truth every now and then because the human brain tend to accept both the truth and "un-logical things" more easy when watching the real thing (or a photograph) then a 1:1 drawing/painting. Some buildings are made a little bigger to create the same impressive impression you would have at street level (sometimes you have to lie to tell the truth), other buildings are placed a little more horizontal.... a tree or lamppost might be (re)moved for the greater good.

My father tries (and succeeds) in showing you full detail without it shouting in your face. So at first you see just the overall picture without disturbing details, but when you zoom in you can see incredible detail... an expert can see that wall was constructed between 1910 and 1920 with brigs from the late 19th century and that the neighboring house has very rare roofing tiles, only used by a very specific constructor active in the same period of time (and that they match the partly original, partly restored gutter). So he paints like he plays the guitar.... offering various layers with a good sense of importance and balance of the various events.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2013 23:10:37

Ruphus

quote:

Any more fallacies you would like debunked?

Funny fantasy there; ... or should it be named sturdy blinkers?

Is the description of an object tought in primary school supposed to disprove the difference in projection between camera obscura and a photography / slide projector?
How much ignorance does it need to equal the faint, vignetting and small image of a camera obscura ( or even pinhole camera as a Vermeer would had rather got his hands on) that you even had to stuck your head into with the clear, bright, sizable to demand, stable and repeatable result of a projector?

And while your faible for modern "art" is obviously based on no practical clue of painting skills ( see the subjects dilettantism as deemed mastery and the complete skipping of drawing proficiency ), even the realm of parotting art experts leaves you with gaps.
If Jan Vermeer was in need of projection why do over ten of his paintings show holes from a needle at the perspective focus?

But that bit is not important anyway, for some of the old artists did apparently indeed use supports like mirror projection. Understandable actually for who has to paint professionally in a row and for whom the artistic challenge ought to take a step back for economical reasons.
The emphasis here however remains on the term "support".
Using projection spares you the essential proficiency that an actual painting artist provides, which is the very trained proportional eye.

Notwithstanding that practical layman and capable but lazy artists like my cousin* today will deny: Capturing on your own or using projection makes a basic difference in required skills.
( * He used to recognize the difference very clearly, before he started making use of support himself. Now he opportunistically tries to squirm free of it by poining to the skills still required for the rest of his work, which comparably makes for as much coherence to a point in question as exposed in this thread.)

Erik,

I know what you mean.
At the shows of my cousin you are handed binoculars to zoom into details in huge panoramas.

You see folks standing on an 5 meters or so elevated plattfrom in a rotundes center.

Yet, can it be of any sense to deny the substantial difference between capturing a motive or copying a projection?
If you really believe there could be sense to such lump, please take a pen and a piece of paper and try to draw room and objects around you.
You might be surprised what a difference it makes to looking through a view-finder and pushing a button ( after having set your manual values, naturally. We are providing demanding photography as you say.)

Don´t misunderstand, please. I am photographing since the age of 13 and had my own dark room up from 15 or so; it is no alien subject to me.

But let´s get that straight: Yet the most perfect and skilled photographing compares absolutely zero in efforts to what it takes at the mastery of drawing and painting.
It´s like comparing the playing of the jaw harp to that of the flamenco guitar.
Value and appreciate proficiency.

Ruphus

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 9:53:45

estebanana

Last night I had a dream that I was in Luis Borges' Library of Babel, the stacks and shelves of books carried on in every direction into infinity. Which was great, but then I realized every single book in the library as by Ayn Rand and it was the same book over and over, The Fountain Head.

Then I saw this picture when doing my checks around my internet coffee drinking sites and had to wonder if the nightmare was still going on and I had not woken up yet.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 17:06:02

flyhere

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 18 2013 3:05:10
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 17:23:18

estebanana

I took this picture at the dump last spring with my cell phone when I was cleaning the shop.

I'll give you some binoculars to scope out the deep details, because you know, there is nothing more important then burying your head in details and missing the over all point.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 17:38:56

estebanana

When I'm not busy dumping trash, I make trashy collages:

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 17:41:00

estebanana

I also make ukulele, but you'll need a telescope to see the details....

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 18:01:31

Ruphus

I hope there are lots of people following this thread who to date hadn´t pondered over sense and nonesense of art.
-

Stephen,

why don´t you at least try to be congruent?

You are replying as if a Panorama that was made ( in cooperation with historians) to give the people an idea of the ancient Rome had been introduced as counter to bullsh!t named art.
That however has not been the case.

Instead have I been referring to Chester´ s initially shown picture as an example of artistic proficiency. A painting you havn´t reacted to.

You have also not reacted to the artistic inability demostrated in pictures presented by you and critisized by me as whatever, but certainly nothing that deserved a specific term like "art".

You could explain why painting skills are supposedly not required for producing art, and why makers who can´t draw a straight line, lesser even size up proportions and perspective ought to be out of all painters, and even artistic ones.
-

And when you scorn about the panorama, made by someone who earned a name as artist and art teacher for nothing but subject related reasons ... Don´t you think that you should at least be able to accomplish such yourself before spitting on it as if you could be knowing what it takes, from the craft alone?

For people who don´t know what demand is in this realm, your take might appear impressive, with all the names and agendas that you be pulling. But to me you are proving nothing but sheer ignorance.

What I see is dismissing of skills and traceable idea on behalf of arbitrary makes on primary school level at best, because of your being so far away from recognizing and appreciating what it takes in the field of capturing two or three dimensionally.

Same principle in the field of music, where you spend foolish energy and time on cacophonies and nothings like Cale´s empty track, because of being literally def in your soul.
That is the only way how your disdain for the Concierto de Aranjuez can come about, just complete with the same phenomenons evident in your perception of the theme of art.

To much too many people your stand of for instance levelling a John Cale with a Joaquín Rodrigo, more even of prioring the first over the latter, may make you look like an intellectual. ( With the magical effect of: "He must be seeing something we can´t see", you know like in The Life of Brian or so ...)

But to my sober eye you are only little deeper thinking than Andy Warhol, who actually was debil.
The difference with you two is that you are intelligent; - but not smart, as it isn´t really bright to go a partout route for the sake of just it.
Smart would be to have it content related when and whether to go common or astray.

When things like to be `plain and boring´ like speciality requiring special skills, then that is what is.
Beauty and ugly are not dependent of whether being mainstream or avantgarde.
Just as ignoring talent and profound proficiency is no thinking shortcut, but just stupid and envy.

As it takes practical insight in artistic skills to understand how cynical this "Modern art" bullsh!t is, you will probably never understand how downplaying your choice of intellectual appearing is.

Ruphus

PS:
It hasn´t occured to you by chance how mainstream it actually is to be follower of "Modern art"?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 20:55:11

estebanana

Ruphus,

you simply don't get it, and you never will. Diebenkorn, ( and Bonnard and all the artists I mentioned) was a very talented painter, in both idea and technique, problem is you just don't know. You can't distinguish between good and bad technique or why it is relavent in a Diebenkorn's stylistic context. Lenador got right away.

And unlike you when William the young guitar maker or Juan the budding photographer come to see me it's because I nurture their work and help them, not put them in jail and tell them they are not doing it "my way". We don't live in Rome any longer, and besides Poussin and David repainted Rome for Napoleon, and I would not force that post French academic criteria as judgment on the young guys a gals that lean on my for help and encouragment, direction and validation in things visual and three dimensional. I just about choked when you explained how you brow beat your niece after she had worked hard an gotten into a gallery show. You should have taken her out to dinner a told her how proud you were instead of screaming to her that Francis Bacon is a an artist you loathe. It's patronizing to dictate to a young artist, especially a woman, that you think the choices they make are incorrect based on what you hate about art.

When you make things everyday, draw, photograph, paint, compose, you begin to see and hear in ways that those who don't paint or compose everyday see. Grisha was right about this.

Or something like that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 0:38:29

Ruphus

What one comes to see before all when advancing in an artform is proficiency, and with proficiency there comes making out what dilettantism is in the same time.

And I find it sad how so many people do not master basics of natural skill preferences with such as singing, dancing, drawing and sculpturing that they can´t tell apart inability. Just as sad as the phenomenon of dependency that makes the majority adapting to any promoted intellectual low-level from soap operas over rap to modern art bol-locks.

The intellectual drain evident in all sections in culture, media and educational institutions ( Pisa survey) is what has the people accept yet the most drastic exploitation by oligarchs and running straight into ecological collapse without blinking.

Pseudo tolerance is just as destructive as the dogmatism that you impute.
Your wannabe artists are eating the bread of creative and capable talents, and their output of nonesene contributes to the dumb bio mass-being of current humanity.
Distinguishing inability is the equivalent to differenciating proficiency.
Cognitive skills essential for aware being.
And being aware is what makes the difference between vegetating or human being.

I think we have now each rounded up our view, and Chester may friendly pardon us for having used his thread for a basic question. :O)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 8:21:27

Richard Jernigan

http://i.imgur.com/wzalTCj.jpg

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 18:33:14

estebanana

Lucian is not amused.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 19:01:58

estebanana

Nor is Joseph.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 19:03:59

estebanana

quote:

What one comes to see before all when advancing in an artform is proficiency, and with proficiency there comes making out what dilettantism is in the same time.

Dilletante? Hmm, you can shove this brush where the sun don't shine.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 19:07:06

Erik van Goch

Nor is this kitty

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/maine-coon-kitty-kay-ridge.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 19:09:30

Ruphus

Darn, each link to any pic or video opens a $§§"%&! sensors window for me.

Before coming here to see so many new pics ( love the portrait of Reno ) I had just decided that after 2,5 years without I could make an avatar of one of my boring works. Simply photographed and FX.

Here is another plain drwaing of my passed away cat when he was young. He had jumped on the table and laid straight under the table lamp before me.
I used spontaneously what I had in hands which was a ballpen.

Ruphus

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 20:59:32

estebanana

Mr. P. approves!

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 22:58:01

Leñador

quote:

I also make ukulele, but you'll need a telescope to see the details....

Is that zebra wood on the head stock? I love it!

Ruphus, amazing work with a ball pen man!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2013 4:07:41
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote