Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Galli GR105 Genius Flamenco Strings   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

JuanDaBomb

Galli GR105 Genius Flamenco Strings 

Since I didn't find any info about these strings on the Foro, I thought I'd post about them, having just tried them out. Not really a review, more like a "hey, looky-here!".

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Galli-Strings-GR105-GENIUS-FLAMENCO-Nylon-Coated-Silverplated-NormalTension-Classical-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-H92046-i2845218.gc

I put these on my Chris Berkov blanca. I used their normal tension set.

Past string sets on my guitar include the D'addario EJ45, EJ45C's, their flamenco set, Savarez Alliance HT, Savarez Corum/Cristal, Savarez Cantiga/Cristal, La Bella 820. All normal tension.

There are actually only 2 things I can definitively say about these strings:

1.) They are, as far as normal tension strings go, slightly on the thicker, higher tension side. Not a whole lot, but still noticeable. In terms of pulsation on my guitar, they are most similar to the La Bella 820's.

2.) The basses seem to last a bit longer than usual. They didn't begin to show much tone degradation for 2 weeks. That's about a week more than anything Savarez! So I'd have to say they are relatively long-lasting.

As for tone, who can say really. Too subjective. The guitar remained bright, which is my only real requirement I suppose. And of course, it get's a bit louder. Overall, I'd say there's nothing offensive about the tone; if anything it just gets a teeny bit thicker.

I'd say if you are looking for a slightly heavier string but aren't wanting to go high tension, then you should try these first.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2013 5:20:20

rogeliocan

RE: Galli GR105 Genius Flamenco Strings (in reply to JuanDaBomb

cool, I like Galli strings, they last forever, I will give these a try.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2013 20:52:13

JuanDaBomb

Just a quick update:

These strings are STILL on my guitar (it's been like 2 months and a week). They are by far the longest lasting strings I have ever used.

There has been some tone degradation of the basses of course. But it's not even close to the way Savarez strings die and become flat out unusable. I keep telling myself, "Alright time to go back to Daddarios" but then I play for a little bit and figure why bother, they're still good enough.

A little test I like to do is run my finger under the basses (especially the D string) and feel for signs of impeding snappage (like little nubs). There still aren't any on these strings even though they're a little rusty looking over the frets.

That is all
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 8:29:22

el carbonero

what about the trebles?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 11:31:53

Erik van Goch

Sounds like a good investment.... let's hope they are not stronger then the frets, making them the weak spot (i had that impression with the old everlasting chorus strings who are no longer on the market).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 14:13:23

JuanDaBomb

RE: Galli GR105 Genius Flamenco Strings (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: el carbonero

what about the trebles?

Nothing bad to report about the trebles. But I am of the opinion that trebles kinda "don't go bad". I used to think they wear out and go bad like basses, but now I don't. I believe trebles may lose a bit of brightness (just a bit) after they finish stretching maybe, but then that's it. I still replace them though just as a matter of course.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik van Goch

Sounds like a good investment.... let's hope they are not stronger then the frets, making them the weak spot (i had that impression with the old everlasting chorus strings who are no longer on the market).

I guess all I was talking about was how the coils tend to separate at the frets. And you can sort of feel when that starts to happen. I've nicked frets with strings on an electric guitar (on the 2nd treble string), so I know what you mean. I don't think that'll happen with these Gali strings though
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2013 3:23:44

keith

just tried a set and to be honest i am not that impressed with them--especially the bass strings. the trebles are typical galli and i think they are the same as the gr 65 or at least that is what is suggested at their website. the bass strings may last a long time but that time will be boring--i found they did not have that nice growl and rasp flamenco bass strings should have. i found them to be too tightly wound which may be the factor for their longevity.

i threw on some luthier 20 and immediately my guitar came back to life. luthier 20 or 30 bass strings and galli gr 65 trebles might be a good combo.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 0:19:16

JuanDaBomb

RE: Galli GR105 Genius Flamenco Strings (in reply to keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for adding your input. I've been meaning to try out Luthier strings, maybe I'll give those 20's a shot.

I think part of it with me is that as time goes by, I find string choice to be less and less relevant. I like to think there's a difference and that I'm discovering new tonal possibilities, but meh. I'll probably end up just buying no-name string in bulk, on a spindle I might have seen that for sale somewhere, not sure...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 2:51:59

keith

juan, no problem. i have found the best strings for me are actually some of the least expensive--aranjuez 200, la bella 2001, luthier 20. the nice thing about getting strings from stringsbymail is the above brands, and many others, are sold in complete sets, trebles only and basses only. i usually get 4-5 bass sets for every treble sets.

there are folks who say they buy fishing line for their trebles so your spool concept is not that far off. it would be nice to get strings that way.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 9:17:53
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post