Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Manolo Sanlucar guitar model   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

jimand

Manolo Sanlucar guitar model 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flamenco-Guitar-Manolo-Sanlucar-/111021647222

I'm curious. Did Manolo Sanlucar endorse a line of guitars in the 90s? The date on the label appears to be 1997. Quick search on the foro didn't turn up anything.

-jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2013 17:29:16

Leñador

RE: Manolo Sanlucar guitar model (in reply to jimand

"These guitars are supervised by Manuel himself Sanlucar and only company to be the best"

That statement makes no sense to me...........

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2013 17:40:03

Erik van Goch

When i tried out some guitars around the 1,5-2,5 K range for a student i did indeed encounter 1 "Sanlucar approved" guitar in the Netherlands around that period of time. I can't remember who made the guitar but the one sold with "sanlucars blessing" was claimed to be handpicked and approved by Sanlucar himself, in the same way there is a line of PDL approved/signed guitars. After trying all the guitars in stock (20-30) it did made it to the final 3, together with a Conde and another "unknown" guitar. All 3 were equally good/bad. On my advice we selected the "unknown" guitar, arguing that the Sanlucar approved guitar was probably more easy to re-sell but was not worth the extra 500,-.

With "unknown" i mean everything except, Ramirez, Conde and Gerundino. Those are the guitars i have myself and i simply fail the talent to remember the other names (or names in general). On top i never liked any of the "unknown" guitars i tried out/selected for my students so i had the talent nor the wish to remember the constructors. My general advice was to skip them and to safe for a better guitar, but since they insisted on buying one i (the more experienced one) agreed to "handpick and approve" the best one(s) in stock myself. The sanlucar came out as one of the final 3 but lost on price (Sanlucar actually did a good job in that price range, but the unknown winner happened to be 500,- cheaper then all the other survivors in the top 10 and most likely would have had his blessings to ;-).

You can only judge a guitar by playing it and even then the outcome is depending on many factors (strings to high, to low, to new, to old you name it). One student actually bought a specific conde because during the 8 hour session (trying out many guitars) i happened to have a moment of "duende" on that guitar. When the finale of Vicente's soleares came out perfectly the buyers choice was made.... although it was the first and only time ever i played that series of rasgueado's perfectly imo it was the 2th best guitar available (the best one was the same model conde, probably slightly better and 100,- cheaper (different store) ...but i failed to produce the perfect soleares finale on that guitar and on top the shopkeeper wasn't what you could call customer friendly. Like i said it depends on many factors.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2013 18:47:16

FredGuitarraOle

RE: Manolo Sanlucar guitar model (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lenador

"These guitars are supervised by Manuel himself Sanlucar and only company to be the best"

That statement makes no sense to me...........

I bet Google Translate has something to do with that...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2013 19:11:07

jimand

RE: Manolo Sanlucar guitar model (in reply to Erik van Goch

I'm not considering purchasing the guitar, just curious as to the model since I hadn't heard of it. I wouldn't buy a guitar without playing it, unless it was a Conde :-)

It does seem 2-3x overpriced. The contrast of the darker cedar top and yellow back/sides strikes me as uncommon.

It looks like a signature model, a la the Carillo/PdL line. Hopefully Manolo profited from the business relationship.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2013 19:22:54

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flamenco-Guitar-Manolo-Sanlucar-/111021647222

I'm curious. Did Manolo Sanlucar endorse a line of guitars in the 90s? The date on the label appears to be 1997. Quick search on the foro didn't turn up anything.

-jim

Yes he did. He used on his album with carmen linares. Probably uses it in the flamenco flamenco movie. But it's a negra. Big dark bassy woody bright sounding guitar with super low buzzy action. Yuck. But he plays beautifully of course.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2013 0:56:50
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message