Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Vicente Amigo "Tierra" & great guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Pedoviejo

Vicente Amigo "Tierra" & g... 

WARNING: This is a shameless plug for my as yet unpublished article.

Vicente's latest, "Tierra," is a beautiful, even ethereal, album which I believe will further expand Vicente's fan base beyond the boundaries of flamenco. I had the privilege of listening to the CD last October with Vicente while cruising around the burbs of Córdoba in his convertible on a beautiful afternoon - and that after hours of great conversation, great food and marvelous wines. (Yeah, it doesn't get any better than that.) His interview was the last one for an article I've almost finished which centers on Lester DeVoe and Arcángel Fernández, which, besides lots of material from Lester and Arcángel themselves, will include observations and commentary from Vicente and Paco de Lucía on their guitars and their art. (Tidbit: "Fantasía Flamenca de Paco de Lucía" was not recorded with a Conde.) You’ll be able to read why Vicente is now playing a Graciliano (he recorded "Tierra" with his old Reyes as well as his new Graciliano), what Paco looks for in his guitars, what he and Vicente like about Lester's guitars; the unvarnished Arcángel on lutherie, artists and the guitar market and....

But wait! There's more! Sitting with Paco in his private home studio with Lester while Paco selects his newest guitar (he got to pick from 3); Paco pulling a guitar from his collection in a large glass-doored case with bunches more, which he puts in my hands telling me, "My father had one of these" - and it was a 1926 Domingo Esteso. Riding shotgun with 80 year old Arcángel driving up a very steep, 2000 meter volcano in the Canary Islands, cruising through white-knuckle, hair pin turns with shear drop offs down which you see your imminent death while Arcángel holds forth on sundry topics. (He wanted to show me the magnificent caldera and views at the summit, but visibility was 20 feet/7 meters with clouds blowing past at a brisk, bone chilling pace. But we did have a great meal down the other side of the mountain in a wayside bar-restaurant with goatherds and local farmers and lots of Malvasía, the local wine.) And then walking through Puerta del Sol with Lester while he tells me that he wasn’t that fond of Spanish food so he usually looks for a Chinese place when he’s in Spain. (There were words.)

And yet, somehow, I was able to catch all these people in situ but missed Kate and a great neighborhood party in the Albaicín. Sorry, Kate.

And about “Tierra”: Vicente loved the mixture of his flamenco guitar with Celtic music, but talked as if it was an odd but beautiful pairing, and I told him, “Vicente, it’s Celtíbero!” He laughed. (He laughs a lot – wonderful, great person.) My reference was to Spain’s history. After the original, mysterious people of Spain known simply as “Iberians” came the Celts, who formed a culture which archeologists and anthropologists call “Celt-Iberian” (“Celtíbero” in Spanish.) Closer to home for Vicente, there was a significant Celt-Iberian settlement in Córdoba that pre-dated the Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Visigoths and Muslims (“Moors”) who each contributed to and re-created Vicente’s home town. (I know because there was an aerial photograph of it in the archeological museum in Córdoba – only a photograph because the government built the new train station right on top of it.) So Vicente’s joining of flamenco with Celtic music is ingenuously intuitive, a sort of closing of the circle. (Wait ‘till you hear Celtic musicians rock with Vicente por bulerías – and Vicente sings, too!)

Stay tuned and I will announce when and where the article will be published.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2013 21:21:21

estebanana

RE: Vicente Amigo "Tierra"... (in reply to Pedoviejo

I've been waiting for you to finish this.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2013 21:59:01

tri7/5

Vincente now play a Marceliano? Are you confusing that with his Graciliano Perez negra?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2013 22:30:13

Pedoviejo

RE: Vicente Amigo "Tierra"... (in reply to tri7/5

quote:

Vincente now play a Marceliano? Are you confusing that with his Graciliano Perez negra?

Oops! You're right. It is Graciliano. Long day, and obviously Graciliano Perez is not the focus of the article. ¡Pusé la pata directamente por la tapa de la guitarra! I've corrected that fracaso.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2013 23:17:07

Pedoviejo

RE: Vicente Amigo "Tierra"... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I've been waiting for you to finish this.

So have I! More than five years in the making, not to speak of the expenses of four trips to Spain and two to California, transcribing and translating umteen hours of recordings - and hand carrying guitars from Lester to Vicente (the one with which he recorded Paseo de Gracia) and to Paco. Fun too, yes, but exhausting, especially this last one - New Orleans to Madrid, Madrid to the Canaries, back to Madrid, drive from Madrid to Córdoba, then back to Madrid, Miami, New Orleans.

By the way, Stephen, I agree wholeheartedly with your other posts where you debunk the idea of telling anything worthwhile about a guitar by listening to it on a recording, whether through the net or otherwise. That will be in the article too - same guitar, different players, and you would swear it was a different instrument each time. Vendor's hype versus reality started with violins in the 19th century and moved seamlessly to guitars.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2013 23:49:36

Ricardo

quote:

Tidbit: "Fantasía Flamenca de Paco de Lucía" was not recorded with a Conde

Hey don't tease like that...what was it? Sounds so much like the peg head blanca type sobrinos de esteso (Conde) (super dry mid rangy unlike fabulosa woody negra sound) was photographed accomp. Camaron etc and seen on tv with. Must have been the same strings at least!

Just don't say it was Andalusian guitars.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2013 4:11:11

tk

RE: Vicente Amigo "Tierra"... (in reply to Ricardo

My guess is it was Arcangel Fernandez

TK
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tsolakk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2013 18:40:03

estebanana

quote:

By the way, Stephen, I agree wholeheartedly with your other posts where you debunk the idea of telling anything worthwhile about a guitar by listening to it on a recording,

Just call me Archie Debunker from now on

And come to visit me in Japan! We'll resty you up in some onsen.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2013 3:43:26

NeZ

Wow! This article sounds like it'll be a great read. Sounds like you've got enough material for a book.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2013 3:55:07

JasonM

necromaning this- I'm wondering if this article was ever finished?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2015 18:48:34

mark indigo

quote:

still waiting....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 12:03:40

Ricardo

RE: Vicente Amigo "Tierra"... (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

still waiting....

LOL. I messaged him privately about that Fantasia Guitar years ago…I remember he said it was an arcangel…however his wording implied that he coaxed the answer out of Paco. Paco used Arcangel for the Chick Corea touchstone collaboration, a borrowed guitar in California I believe, and this makes sense with the audio. Fantasia tonally remained a mystery to my ears until the video appeared with the guitar I think he actually used:

The same guitar remained in his collection seen (playback audio) here:

This reinforces my theory that the guitar probably had historical significance because we otherwise don’t see him using it.

I did come across a photo that could counter my theory…it LOOKS like Barbero/Arcangel and the time period is close to 1969 (but honestly maybe later).

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 17:17:22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread