Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Segovia and flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

aeolus

RE: Segovia and flamenco (in reply to Richard Jernigan

'smatter...could't play the chord?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 14:09:35

guitarbuddha

RE: Segovia and flamenco (in reply to aeolus

quote:

ORIGINAL: aeolus

Deeper and deeper.

Wake me up when we get to the bottom.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 14:17:53

aeolus

quote:

Deeper and deeper.

That says it all. And you a great virtuoso.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 14:25:06

Richard Jernigan

RE: Segovia and flamenco (in reply to guitarbuddha

Nothing about flamenco in it, but last night I finished reading Alfredo Escande's "Don Andres and Paquita: the Life of Segovia in Montevideo" translated into English by Charles and Marisa Postlewate.

http://tinyurl.com/c235m2p

It is an interesting account of an otherwise undocumented period. Segovia's second wife was Paquita Madriguera, the favorite pupil of Granados. She was a child prodigy, concert pianist and composer. They fled Barcelona at the beginning of the Spanish Civil War, and ended up in Montevideo, where Madriguera had been the wife of a prominent lawyer, several years her senior.

One of Madriguera's daughters, regarded by Segovia as a step-daughter, and showered with affection and gifts of money until Segovia's death, had an illuminating comment.

"I don't think Andres had a life. I think he had several different fractions of a life--three wives, four children by different women..."

Segovia was no saint. But at my own age, if I spent time repenting all the things I have done wrong, I wouldn't have time to do anything right.

RNJ

quote:

by Mark Twain:

A great benefaction conferred with your whole heart upon an ungrateful man -- with what immortal persistence and never-cooling energy do you repent of that! Repentance of a sin is a pale, poor, perishable thing compared with it.

I am quite sure that the average man is built just as I am; otherwise I should not be making this revelation of my inside. I say the average man and stop there; for I am quite certain that there are people who do not repent of their good deeds when the return they get for them is treachery and ingratitude. I think that these few ought to be in heaven; they are in the way here.

In my time I have committed several millions of sins. Many of them I probably repented of -- I do not remember now; others I was partly minded to repent of, but it did not seem worthwhile; all of them but the recent ones and a few scattering former ones I have forgotten. In my time I have done eleven good deeds. I remember all of them, four of them with crystal clearness. These four I repent of whenever I think of them -- and it is not seldomer than fifty-two times a year. I repent of them in the same old original furious way, undiminished, always. If I wake up away in the night, they are there, waiting and ready; and they keep me company till the morning. I have not committed any sin that has lasted me like this save one; and have not repented of any sin with the unmodifying earnestness and sincerity with which I have repented of these four gracious and beautiful good deeds.

Possibly you who are reading these paragraphs are of those few who have got mislaid and ought to be in heaven. In that case you will not understand what I have been saying and will have no sympathy with it; but your neighbor will, if he is fifty years old.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 16:04:38

aeolus

Twain always had the gift for quips such as : Wagner's music is better than it sounds The real curse of age is the backup of memories of unkind behavior while forgetting perhaps good behavior that might have balanced the scales. Nietzsche has said, and I hasten to add this is a random thing I found as I am in no way conversant with the man's œuvre, that we remember the bad things because they are buried into memory. I certainly find this is true and like Twain find myself confronted with these specters daily. Whether Segovia had such misgivings over a very long and very active life, no one can't say. But reading the Ponce/Segovia letters the scales would have to be balanced in a positive direction as he was a very generous man.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 16:52:34

Kevin

RE: Segovia and flamenco (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

quote:

Mystery man: how did he fool all those composers and fans into thinking he was a superior artist.

Simple. Talk smack about (or pretend they don't exist) those that were frighteningly close to his technical level on guitar, and bad mouth other genres, so it was clear who is superior and what separates high art from low art.

My whole point was not to judge the man (even though I made it clear what it is that I think about him).

I had two points in the original post. First, I believe the guitar would be close to what it is today without Segovia. Did he give us some great works through his collaborations? Sure? Did he make some good transcriptions? Sure. However, most of the serious repertoire was transcribed and Williams' lute suites stand out for that. Also, Williams transcribed much of the Spanish repertoire himself. I for one am certain that the guitar would still be very similar to what it is today without the man. People seem to forget that Williams was already an advanced guitarist when Segovia made his ridiculous and now famous claim about god laying a finger on Williams' brow.

Anyway, my other point that I did not make very clear is that based on how Segovia treated Barrios, how he feared or worried about Montoya's international recording and concert career, how he treated the UCLA masterclass people when they did not adhere to his fingerings, and how he derided flamenco all point to insecurity.

Some people gloss over his flaws by claiming that we are all flawed. Certainly this is true but it's a platitude. It communicates nothing. If you look at Segovia's generosity vs. his critical attitude you will see that the critical attitude is always directed at anyone that poses a threat to him in some way; Barrios by smoking him on the guitar, Montoya (and later Paco) for having careers and being great players, the UCLA masterclass for undermining his authority, and flamenco in general for advancing its language so much. Meanwhile his generosity is directed at those that can help him.

P.S. I hope this thread dies soon.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 18:22:28

BarkellWH

quote:

And I have probably every book in English written about AS but I don't in anyway consider myself an expert. I haven't read any posts on this thread to convince me that there are ANY experts on Segovia here.

You probably are correct that there are no real experts on Segovia here, Aeolus. Nevertheless, there are lots of opinions on Segovia, as you can tell by reading this thread. And there are lots of opinions on those who voice opinions on Segovia, as you also may have noted. They range from questioning how much one has read and understands about Segovia, his life, his mode of teaching, his relationships, and his attitude toward flamenco; to one post that labeled as "idiots" those who teach that classical guitar is the only kind of guitar worth studying. (Strong language!) Nevertheless, whether one appreciates Segovia (as I do) or considers him an elitist with few redeeming qualities, I would suggest it is not worth getting wrapped around the axle either way.

By the way, I have read many of Nietzche's works. Nietzche probably would have praised Segovia as a giant among the common mob, as he (Nietzche) would have termed Segovia an example of the "Ubermensch," which is sometimes translated into English as "Superman," but which really has the connotation (as Nietzche used it in German) of transcending ordinary human limitations. Many times he wrote in aphorisms. One of my favorites comes from his book "The Joyful Science." He calls it "Laughable": "Look, look, he runs away from men. They follow him, however, because he runs before them. They are a gregarious lot!"

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 18:35:29

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 23 2018 16:07:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 19:03:14

aeolus

quote:

If you look at Segovia's generosity vs. his critical attitude you will see that the critical attitude is always directed at anyone that poses a threat to him in some way; Barrios by smoking him on the guitar

I think the thoughtful person will consider all aspects of a person's life and if so knowing that Segovia's parents gave him away to relatives at a very early age and he started his career from ground zero with a borrowed tux which was several times too big for him one and considering he had to support an ex wife and son; his mother; and an aunt who was turned out of a convent by the Reds during the 20s/30s one with any perspicacity at all would realize he must have felt the wolf was at his door at all times and he was on a treadmill giving concerts to stay ahead. If that meant not helping those whom he considered competitors, and why would that be expected of him? can he be blamed. Why should he be responsible for Barrios success? Segovia was successful in Argentina because it was a European outpost in the new world and his Euro centric repertory was what they wanted. Barrios stripped to the waist in native garb was bound to fail in this milieu.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 19:07:25

aeolus

quote:

we stand a chance at discussing an actual book introduced by RNJ.

I assume you refer to this by RNJ:

I've been intending to read Gilardino's biography in hopes of getting a balanced view

Assuming the protean RNJ speaks Italian he might fill us in to what I think will be as close to a critical assessment as had heretofore been available. That is to say I have read nothing that could be considered a critical biography.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 19:28:40

BarkellWH

quote:

Barrios stripped to the waist in native garb was bound to fail in this milieu.

In that respect, Barrios was a bit of a fraud. He took the name "Mangore," after a 16th century Paraguayan Indian Cacique. And he performed using the name Nitsuga Mangore, supposedly as a tribute to the Indian heritage of Paraguay. I think he allowed the myth to percolate that he was part Guarani Indian, yet, there does not appear to be any evidence that Barrios had indigenous Indian blood. I appreciate his compositions, but I would have found the theatrical "Guarani" persona he adopted off-putting.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 19:34:24

aeolus

quote:

By the way, I have read many of Nietzche's works. Nietzche probably would have praised Segovia as a giant among the common mob, a

Have you read Pierre Klossowski's Le Baphomet He translated some of Nietzche's works into French and Nietzche plays a central role in this novel but while i enjoy the obvious erotic aspects of the novel, it's deeper meaning escapes me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 19:36:22

aeolus

quote:

I appreciate his compositions, but I would have found the theatrical "Guarani" persona he adopted off-putting.

As far as I know, Barrios never composed extended works but stuck to individual pieces. that alone I would think relegates him to the second tier. Duck and run for cover.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 19:42:24

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

Deeper and deeper.

That says it all.

Did I hear a thump, I must have dozed off, I trust I didn't miss anything......

quote:

quote:

I appreciate his compositions, but I would have found the theatrical "Guarani" persona he adopted off-putting.

As far as I know, Barrios never composed extended works but stuck to individual pieces. that alone I would think relegates him to the second tier. Duck and run for cover.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 22:16:41

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 23 2018 16:02:39
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 23:21:43

Richard Jernigan

RE: Segovia and flamenco (in reply to estebanana

I still haven't gotten around to ordering the Gilardino biography, and I'm giving Segovia a break for a while after reading Escande.

While Poveda's Spanish "biography" is openly worshipful, with many remarks based upon his personal friendship with Segovia, Escande's editorial stance is, overtly at least, neutral. He seldom comes out with opinions, confining himself mostly to quotations of other people, press accounts and reviews. He quotes a number of glowing reviews of Madriguera as performer and composer, and at least one complete hatchet job.

The quoted press reviews of Segovia are unanimously enthusiastic. There is documented evidence for the high esteem he was held in by Heifetz, Toscanini, Rubinstein and other greater and lesser musicians and composers, who invited him to their homes, and socialized with him during concert tours.

I note that these three were not universally admired as individuals, but there has not been a reaction against them personally in the conducting, violin or piano worlds. Indeed, Heifetz is still seen as something of a demigod by such a virtuoso as Perlman.

On Segovia's New York affair with Olga Coelho, which led to the breakup of his marriage with Madriguera, Escande does not hesitate to quote the outraged, even venomous remarks of those who took Paquita's side.

Escande concludes with a chapter on Segovia's daughter by Madriguera, Beatriz. He details her unhappy childhood. Madriguera's three daughters by Puig spent much of their early lives in boarding schools as well, but Beatriz was inconsolable upon her separation from Montevideo when, after the divorce, her mother moved to Buenos Aires, taking Beatriz with her, but boarding her out so Madriguera could pursue her renewed artistic career..

As a young teenager, and a young adult, Segovia took Beatriz to Europe on concert tours and spent months with her. Still, Escande quotes Maria Rosa, Madriguera's daughter to whom Segovia remained attached throughout his life, showering her with affection and gifts of money. Maria Rosa tells the story of Beatriz's suicide at age 24, attributed by many to a "romantic disillusionment." But Maria Rosa says the cause was deeper and went back to childhood, when Segovia was "an absent father."

Maria Rosa and the other two Puig Madriguera daughters remained good friends with Segovia as long as he lived. long after they had made good marriages to wealthy men and were no longer dependent upon him for partial support.

My own father was absent during the entirety of WW II, a couple of years of the Occupation of Japan, two years during the Berlin airlift, and the first year of a three year tour of duty in Alaska before we could join him. It had its effects. I still wish I could have had a closer relationship with him. But my brother and I have survived into old age, self supporting and relatively successful.

It's hard to think Segovia, or anyone else could foresee Beatriz's suicide as a consequence of his itinerant lifestyle as a performing artist. Of course, absent fathers were routine in military life, and an anomaly in the highly conventional upper class milieu of Montevideo.

Escande remains scrupulously neutral. There is a thick section of documentation at the back of the book, which I haven't perused in any detail.

It is in fact a platitude that we are all flawed, but just because it's boring doesn't make it unimportant. That's why I thought to quote Twain's witty skewering of those who live in glass houses, but still throw stones.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 0:54:48

Ricardo

quote:

In the original vid I posted he teaches the girl how to do it, and he uses Ramirez iii guitar, probably 664, and makes fun that his wife can do it even has smaller fingers. Trick was for him to pull thumb down, but truth is some people don't have the spreading ability between 3 and 4 unless a smaller scale guitar is used. He laughes it off at the end with "alright..." acknowledging that this thing is funny minor detail in the bigger picture of the piece. A perfect example of how I talked about pellizco of a dance choreography the hand has to do very typical of flamencos to make music more fluid. I wouldn't think he implies if you don't have the physical ability you are inferior as an artist, simply that in most cases this chord should be possible.

12:20 on..

In the end all a moot point as he proves what I first pointed out he slows or stop time in tough spots. On the original recording at 5:35 you hear him add a full 16th note of time (or imagine the F on the 4th string as an 8th note) to grab this tough chord.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 11:10:06

aeolus

quote:

I prefer Balthus to his brother Pierre. Better artist.

Pierre I think was a better draftsman than one would be led to believe if the drawings I have seen attributed to him are any guide but his depictions are so overtly sexual he would have a hard time getting them shown if he drew with the precision of his younger brother. I don't think he will ever have a showing in say Kansas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 11:59:27

aeolus

quote:

In the end all a moot point as he proves what I first pointed out he slows or stop time in tough spots. On the original recording at 5:32 you hear him add a full 16th note of time (or imagine the F on the 4th string as an 8th note) to grab this tough chord.

When was the recording made as it could have been direct to disc.

There is a slight hesitation in this recording but making a big deal of it is silly It's not anything as pronounced as Parkening but then he would have been playubg a 664 scale guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 12:15:55

Ricardo

RE: Segovia and flamenco (in reply to Kevin

quote:

P.S. I hope this thread dies soon.

Sure...that's why you stirred it up AGAIN.

But not to repeat but I disagree with most of your points. He paved a road for Solo concert guitar, even for flamencos. Perhaps his arrogance helped that happen. It is not fair to simply guess that it would have been paved without him...you have to acknowledge that it very well might NOT have happened. Paving a road makes all the rest possible but someone has to pave it. Today dirt roads still exist. Not saying you are wrong, just that it's not a 100% certainty concert solo guitar would have ever been so popular and inspired. Even today we have aficionados that are not fans of solo guitar as long as cante exists.

Fingers I talked much about, not insecurity but rather he could have been annoyed at students not getting the point of his fingerings that he was quite serious about. Let em miss the point and do it their own way, and what is there left to learn really? THere are surely special cases as I tried to point out, but if you want to generalize about it sure, he seems unreasonable.

About Montoya and Barrios, yes you do have a point there. Although we know quite well how people like to use "personal taste" to either glorify or belittle music they love or hate. It could very well be how he felt and not a sinister plot to stay on top...such as some in the art world of course are guilty of, but normally of their OWN genre. Even today many aficionados are not montoya fans etc...too many notes. Segovia DID like Manolo de Huelva who was a great artist too. I have to draw the line at PDL though who broke into the big concert stage in Spain with solo guitar, essentially championing the guitar as Segovia had done, only, with flamenco. I don't think he needed to state PDL had no technique, vs his own classical students. It would have been different if he simply did not like PDL musical direction. But I must admit thanks to Segovia and popularity of guitar and it's acceptance on the same stage as other concert instruments, PDL was able to do that thing. I think it would have been A LOT harder or impossible otherwise.

quote:

There is a slight hesitation in this recording but making a big deal of it is silly

Silly of course, unless RHYTHM is your thing.... well, then it's ALL ABOUT that.

You called my assessment of segovia (coloring him for both good points and faults) shallow but don't want to accept my specific points...even I used YOUR example. It's all silly, and so it was for you to make a big deal about a single foro member liking my comments on the topic. Lets move on.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 12:29:55

aeolus

It's about a nano second lost. And do you think what you wrote is the finest assessment ever?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 12:52:19

Ricardo

quote:

It's about a nano second lost. And do you think what you wrote is the finest assessment ever?

At 150 bpm it is longer than a 16th, maybe two (32nds at 75bpm) if you slow it down, it's very significant. All throughout there are nano second adjustments. Those adjustments are not ALWAYS deliberate, most sound and feel as hick ups of the right hand to make up for the left to catch up. Couple of them are to emphasize the bass note, but for sure there is not a groove all the time, and in the trickiest spot it's made super obvious why the rhythm is broken. This section Bach clearly sets up a groove, and segovia even tells the girl to accent the top notes, it is like the snare in a drum groove. I praised Segovia's chaconne OVERALL as a beautiful story telling performance in the face of critics of it (usually bowed instrument players or keyboardists). In other pieces these type of hick ups interupt the flow and this way to play is a general trend of segovia's style. I dont' think it fair to pretend that his use of rubato is always deliberate and artistic mastery of elasticity when it is clear to us players that it happens in spots it shouldn't because of the difficulty of the passage. Nano seconds is what it is all about, and in his quote "the delicate lack of respect for the rhythm we define the good or the bad artist".

THe challenge for flamenco players is to maintain the right hand at all cost...miss the chord or note it is ok, but not the groove when it is supposed to because of the feeling expressed by maintaining the groove and accents. Flamenco players also tend to speed up the challenging parts rather than slow down for sake of difficulty, but that too is a generalization. As we look at specifics we always find exception. But the vast majority of classical players follow his lead and allow the left hand to force the right hand to hesitate (your word) for sake of the clear note, and is like a knife in the heart to anyone that is deeply into rhythmic feel and expression.

Anyway, my perspective is what it is. I play flamenco but grew up in a house hold where I heard about segovia all the time, and grew up to view him as a god. Studied his recordings closer in college as I was also discovering flamenco. My assessment is as objective as I can be, no more no less and if other's find it the greatest thing ever or worst shyte ever written, it's not my problem. If they don't understand why I said what I did, I am happy to try to clarify. I know we ALL get annoyed when someone speaks negatively about our favorite players, but it is simply up to US to either not care, or try to bring new light on the subject in hopes others will catch on to WHY we like something or not.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 13:26:49

aeolus

Thanks for your forbearance and patience. I didn't realize that some may prefer metronomic beat to expressive gestures. I like PDL's Aranjuez best and he said he played it because he was dissatisfied with the way classical players gave tone precedence over rhythm. The thing is Segovia so dominated the guitar market with his vinyl discs that alot of us got his sound in our heads as the standard.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 13:53:21

Ramon Amira

In the world of the arts their has always been this tension and division between personal character and artistic persona. Some people can divorce the two and consider them separately, others insist that the two are integrated, and if you reject one part you must reject the whole. Wagner was acknowledged as a great composer, but no one would play his music in Israel because he was a noted anti-semite, until Daniel Barenboim conducted an all Wagner concert.

I personally acknowledge Segovia’s great contribution to the world of classical guitar, and probably by extension to guitar in general and consequently to flamenco guitar. But as a man, my own personal experiences with Segovia left me with distaste if not disgust.

In my days as a critic I reviewed Segovia several times, and on numerous occasions I met him in private circumstances. I never once saw him smile. He was simply a cold and dour person. Perhaps the vicissitudes of life as discussed above affected his personality to make him so, but there it was.

What turned me off the most though was his demeanor at his master classes, and the way he treated the students. I attended several, not as a student but as an observer. Like any professional I know all too well the work, blood, sweat, and tears that go into reaching a certain level of proficiency, and I knew what those students had gone through to prepare for Segovia’s master class, and the apprehension they felt.

Segovia himself surely also knew all that, but instead of trying to put them at ease, and allow them to relax so they could perform at their best and true level, he would sit there stone-faced and unsmiling, with what could almost be described as a menacing demeanor. It was painful to watch, and even heart-breaking. You could see the fear on the students’ faces, and invariably it was reflected in their playing, which for the most part because of the circumstances came out far below their true capabilities. Does anybody think that these students learned anything.

By contrast, I also attended master classes as a guest of Pepe Romero. What a difference! Pepe would mingle with the students, smiling, kidding around, and put them entirely at ease. As might be expected, they consequently were relaxed and played at the top of their form. Pepe would make keen but encouraging comments. Every student came away feeling great and that he or she had learned a lot.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 14:25:20

aeolus

quote:

Does anybody think that these students learned anything.

Maybe they learned to perform under pressure. I think this was the traditional European model for what they considered the master pupil relationship. I have just finished the bio of Williams and the writer described the first meeting with Segovia and JW himself must have been the source as he was the only one there still living. Anyway the book said that Segovia engaged in some small talk to put the boy at ease and as well arranged for the cost of room and board at the Siena summer school for the years JW was there. So he wasn't an ogre always.
I found the book lacking seriously in describing the tutor and studies the boy guitarist used as he was taught by his father who was a jazz guitarist. In those days I think only Pujols method was sound and it was available only in French. But in a few short years the boy had built a technique that was virtually matchless.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 15:03:10

Erik van Goch

quote:

He is already completely lost when he repeats the first movement at 0:18 where half a beat is added. Gabs like that are part of his habit to make his PERSONAL EXPRESSIVE GESTURES way more important than the music itself. He praised himself for being a self made man, but in retrospect that's painfully noticeable.

I know from my father that Segovia's superiority was the fact that he produced a tone quality that was unheard of at the time (hard to imagine when i listen to above Bach recording). As far as his blind spot for COMPOSITION RELATED INTERPRETATION was concerned he was very much a child of his time. I understand that the first classical guitar player who did a serious step in that direction was Barrueco, who apparently did not receive much credit for it at the time. When he met my father arround 1980 he complained "i thought this would be the beginning of my career but it feels more like the end".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 15:11:54

aeolus

quote:

Gabs like that are part of his habit to make his PERSONAL EXPRESSIVE GESTURES way more important than the music itself.

From what I have read he was not doing anything different than his contemporaries on classical instruments. The performer was the rock star of that day and he could do as he pleased with the music. Nowadays the notes on the page are grimly respected.
Segovia quipped that the audiences were complaining that Bach was being played too perfectly. Which brings me to Barrueco and I have that seminal disc of his Spanish music. Unfortunately the pressing was of poor quality and quickly deteriorated. Manuel's playing is as different as night and day from AS, it is very elegant and correct, But it lacks the passion Segovia brought to his music making.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 15:26:21

Miguel de Maria

quote:

Thanks for your forbearance and patience. I didn't realize that some may prefer metronomic beat to expressive gestures.

“There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.”
― Johann Sebastian Bach

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 16:12:48

Erik van Goch

quote:

From what I have read he was not doing anything different than his contemporaries on classical instruments

like i said he was a child of his time, although his extra attention to tonal quality also made him extra vulnerable for less desirable interpretations.

quote:

Manuel's playing is as different as night and day from AS, it is very elegant and correct, But it lacks the passion Segovia brought to his music making.

A little stiffness was indeed one of his minor qualities. Funny enough my main objection to Segovia happens to be the over-passion he puts into the music, but like i said before, he did show us the full potential of the instrument when it comes to tonal quality.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 16:19:17

Richard Jernigan

RE: Segovia and flamenco (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik van Goch
I understand that the first classical guitar player who did a serious step in that direction was Barrueco, who apparently did not receive much credit for it at the time. When he met my father arround 1980 he complained "i thought this would be the beginning of my career but it feels more like the end".

Hearing Barrueco's Vox LP of Albeniz and Granados was a revelation in guitar playing for me. I think he said he had listened to Alicia Delarrocha's piano versions, my favorites. My ex-wife, a classical pianist, said that Barrueco was the first classical guitarist she really liked.

We (the old Austin Guitar Society) put on a concert by Barrueco not long after he graduated from Peabody. His virtuosity was staggering. He was anything but stiff, but his rubato was musically inspired, in the sense of the great pianists and other musicians of the day--no technique-induced gaps that I remember.

...and I just ordered Gilardino's Segovia biography. One of these days my interest in Segovia will revive sufficiently, and coincide with the resolve to improve my decidedly elementary Italian.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2013 17:34:14
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote