Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Rito y geografía del baile - subtitles   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

johnnefastis

Rito y geografía del baile - subtitles 

Does anyone know if the Rito y geografía del baile DVDs have subtitles ?

My Spanish is ok but I noticed how they often talk over the music so
It would be hard for me to follow.

I know the cante ones do have subtitles but not sure about these.

Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2013 18:57:07

mark indigo

RE: Rito y geografía del baile - su... (in reply to johnnefastis

Anyone here got or seen any of these vids?

do they have the same format as the Rito cante series, ie. mix of documentary and performance?

and are they as interesting/valuable as the cante series?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2015 17:04:32

Ricardo

THe cante series is original and only focus on cante and a little bit on guitar. The series was recovered and put on VHS...then the idea was to mix the sparce guitar features from the series (specifically Paco, Melchor, Pepe martinez, Gastor, guitarra I and II) with some other archived material from same era of guitarists and release on VHS and later DVD. The baile thing came along with it but had NADA to do with rito y geografia original series. Basically TV show performances, sort of like the program Tomatito was on, not a serious study of the art form like Rito original was. It's a shame they confused the issue by using the same title "Rito y geografia de ..." when it was only ever about the cante. Since then a partially restored (a dozen episodes missing) version of the series can be found on youtube and stands as THE definitive version. The DVDs come with informative booklets.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2015 18:02:05

mark indigo

RE: Rito y geografía del baile - su... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

THe cante series is original and only focus on cante and a little bit on guitar. The series was recovered and put on VHS...then the idea was to mix the sparce guitar features from the series (specifically Paco, Melchor, Pepe martinez, Gastor, guitarra I and II) with some other archived material from same era of guitarists and release on VHS and later DVD. The baile thing came along with it but had NADA to do with rito y geografia original series. Basically TV show performances, sort of like the program Tomatito was on, not a serious study of the art form like Rito original was. It's a shame they confused the issue by using the same title "Rito y geografia de ..." when it was only ever about the cante. Since then a partially restored (a dozen episodes missing) version of the series can be found on youtube and stands as THE definitive version. The DVDs come with informative booklets.

I have the Rito...Cante series vols 1-16 (had a few vols for ages, and just recently filled a few gaps to bring me up to complete up to 16 - if I find source for 17 and 18 I will get them, but can't find them available anywhere), so wondering about this Rito...Baile series. I get what you're saying about the only thing in common is the name, but so what are they actually like? are they JUST performance? interviews? commentary? subtitles? are the performances good? do they form a historical document like the cante vids? I have the Rito...Toque vids, some are same as the "guitarra" volumes of Rito...Cante, but with other TV progs too. Do the Rito...Baile vids have similar format to that? and are they worth watching?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2015 18:47:58

Ricardo

RE: Rito y geografía del baile - su... (in reply to mark indigo

Anything from that time on Spanish TV was worth viewing for educational purposes...but absolutely no comparison to the original Rito y Geografia project documentary. It's more like your weekend TV show short interview and the long boring dances. More for entertainment.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 12 2015 13:26:12

mark indigo

RE: Rito y geografía del baile - su... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

the long boring dances

do you know if, like the OP asked, they have any subtitles?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2015 8:47:01

Ricardo

RE: Rito y geografía del baile - su... (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

the long boring dances

do you know if, like the OP asked, they have any subtitles?

they don't ... as I pointed out earlier the Rito clean up was a special project for a special program....the other things were cheezy off tv VHS copies. I will say the DVD's came with short booklets in sp, eng, and french, that described more or less what you were about to watch. The original VHS versions did not have that.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2015 14:16:04

johnnefastis

Hey mark,

I have the set. Happy to do a temporary swap. I have not made it through the set but
there are some gems. Guys driving out for all night Buleria but there is plenty of endless
Sevillanas.

No subtitles. Send a pm if you are interested.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2015 15:18:18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote